Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Help! I Want To Be A Professional Driver

Loz

Hi All,

Thinking of getting out of the Rat race and being paid to drive wealthy people around the country/world in a Lexus.

I have been thinking real hard about what I enjoy. and I enjoy driving a lexus. so why not get directly paid for it?

Does anyone know anything about setting up a chauffeur business? (apart from spelling it correctly..)?

I thought about getting some folding flyers done and some image based business cards. I'd need to invoice about £4k a month to get buy but I think its doable. I reckon the only downside is that I would be better off with a car with Sat nav. and maybe an LS400. But I want to dip a toe in the water. If I can make it pay part time then I would look ot increase it to full. I reckon Airport runs, mobile business meetings and shopping trips would be the earners. I would like a buisness suite in the back so they have blue tooth access to the phone network for calls or internet access. maybe even a laptop in the back provided for them. refreshments in the boot mounted fridge. selection of daily broadsheets.

What do you think? could I make a living from driving well heeled folk around? Its been my backup plan since I was 16. Maybe its time to just do it!

Loz :zee:

First you'll need to get an 'easy to remember' phone number.

Then dream up some 'pick out the air' charging scheme.

Do the knowledge - ie. learn high mileage indirect extended routes from A to B.

Draft in some classy motors - all with loose rattly interiors and starship mileage.

Only then are you ready to begin your apprenticeship as a show fir :lol:

maybe I could become a Syth Lord Chauffeur?

...now do I get the impression that you guys are not taking this seriously?

come on, this is my future we are talking about here!

Loz

People will always need to go places...

The alternative would be to work as a driver abroad. might be cool to have a british black chauffeur in New York or on the West Coast of the US...?

Sounds like a great idea. The only worry is that congestion is reaching appalling levels these days, so some sort of stress-management course might be in order. After all, don't want you biting chunks out of the steering wheel every time you get stuck in traffic :whistling:

good thinking, Pulsemeister!

Maybe I will have to practice just staying really calm. that would be good for my driving anyway. I reckon if I was working though I would be the consumate professional. Liek yesterday when I took a couple of girls from the office out to lunch. I have a rep for driving "enthusiastically" but I was just like a chauffeur and they appreciated it. I guess the funniest bit was Georgina getting in the front and trying to "scootch" the seat forward by holding onto the door and shuffling her bum. when I asked her what she was doing and then directed her to the selection of switches on the seat base, she looked a tad embarrassed. well, she's used to a BMW. maybe thats how they do it?

Also she was thinking that because she had so much room in the front, Tracy, behind her, must have been sqaushed. Ironically, Tracy said she had enough room in the back to replay the Wimbeldon Ladies Finals!

So you see, right car and good technique already...

Loz

My husband is thinking about doing something similar, but starting off with catering for weddings (we'll look to get a Rolls). He's looking into advanced driving courses and Tony Hetherington was a really helpful source of information.

To hit the sort of revenue you need, it would probably be a good idea to start by contacting local businesses to offer chauffeur services to their execs. Maybe write a short letter outlining your services then follow up with a phone call. Advertise in the local rags etc. - trips to the theatre, races etc. This'll be good for incremental business.

Basically just think about your target audience and what services they are likely to need and market yourself cleverly to beat any near competition

Loz,

I've been entertaining similar sorts of ideas for a while now.

To get into chauffeuring, WITHOUT DOUBT....you will need to pass the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motoring) Certificate. All chauffeurs advertise when they have it, consequently those who don't won't get used.

Also, you'll need to take some kind of course. There are many out there (PM me if you want me to point you to some websites). The important thing to remember is that the sort of market you are aiming for (the upper class market) will have used chauffeurs before, and so they expect certain things as standard. You really need to learn what these "certain things" are. Simple things like if you hold your hand out for a lady to help her out the car, you must always turn your head towards the front of the car over the door (so you dont look up her skirt......or rather, so she does not feel intimidated). I used this as an example, but the point I'm trying to get across is that little things like that will be expected AS A MINIMUM with the sort of clientel you're after.

So......to re-cap.......

Get IAM Certificate (easy enough)

Do recognised Chauffeur Training course (some places do "taster" days to see if you'll like it)

And then take it from there. Don't go buying an LS430 just yet, as one thing you may come to realise is the hours will be terrible and you may not like it. You'll be taking people to Operas, meetings, theatre, dinner.......all these things that normally happen OUTSIDE a normal 9-5 job.

Hope that's all been of help

Tony

He's looking into advanced driving courses and Tony Hetherington was a really helpful source of information.

That's kind....thank you :)

Glad I can help!!

Oh.....Loz, also forgot to mention. RoSPA (Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents) also do a similar to IAM style course. This would be very beneficial to do aswell.

Also - if you're thinking of taking VERY high class people, a minimum std required would be escape/pursuit driving/skid control courses etc. One thing I've learnt is that it's all well and good being able to control the car, drive it fast - but if you dont have any qualifications, then you won't get used (apparently it's quite brutal out there!!!!!)

Hi All,

Thinking of getting out of the Rat race and being paid to drive wealthy people around the country/world in a Lexus.

I have been thinking real hard about what I enjoy. and I enjoy driving a lexus. so why not get directly paid for it?

Does anyone know anything about setting up a chauffeur business? (apart from spelling it correctly..)?

I thought about getting some folding flyers done and some image based business cards. I'd need to invoice about £4k a month to get buy but I think its doable. I reckon the only downside is that I would be better off with a car with Sat nav. and maybe an LS400. But I want to dip a toe in the water. If I can make it pay part time then I would look ot increase it to full. I reckon Airport runs, mobile business meetings and shopping trips would be the earners. I would like a buisness suite in the back so they have blue tooth access to the phone network for calls or internet access. maybe even a laptop in the back provided for them. refreshments in the boot mounted fridge. selection of daily broadsheets.

What do you think? could I make a living from driving well heeled folk around? Its been my backup plan since I was 16. Maybe its time to just do it!

Loz :zee:

go for the easy option, tint the windows and become a pimp

He's looking into advanced driving courses and Tony Hetherington was a really helpful source of information.

That's kind....thank you :)

Glad I can help!!

Oh.....Loz, also forgot to mention. RoSPA (Royal Society for Prevention of Accidents) also do a similar to IAM style course. This would be very beneficial to do aswell.

Also - if you're thinking of taking VERY high class people, a minimum std required would be escape/pursuit driving/skid control courses etc. One thing I've learnt is that it's all well and good being able to control the car, drive it fast - but if you dont have any qualifications, then you won't get used (apparently it's quite brutal out there!!!!!)

Thanks Tony!

That is a great help.

I used to do some Close Protrection work for a company ran by "ex military" professionals. Got some training certificates from XXXXX* Trianing - Ex- special forces ( although they would never tell you that of course. but two of them used to train the SAS)

But I could do with the RoSPA Gold and/or IAM certificate. It would also help with my everyday driving! Also, I know the hours will be ugly. but thats why it pays well. All the rich people I know made money by being uncomfortable to make other people comfortable. know what I mean? I think the security aspect is probly quite critical and you are right, I should brush up on that. also the chauffuer school is a great idea. I bet they charge a fortune but I would hope/expectthat thery may be able to put a bit of buisness your way to get you started too.

Clare G,

Thanks again. I have thought about the marketing. I was going to do mailers to international companies offering to drive their execs when they are visiting from abroad. also, driving top execs who have been banned or just don't drive... Business hotels, business functions, David Loyd level Gyms, Wimbeldon, Ascott, etc... all the places where people would want style flair and convenience. I think I'd be a hit! especially with my afro!

THanks for all the help!

Loz

Ps. as there seems to be a few of us with the same idea. maybe we should discuss the possibility of a partnership? or at least looking for economies of scale if you are serious about the training and start up of your own biz? just a thought...

name withheld due to the subsequent revelation

Thanks dude, but I already drive one!

that was the whole premis of the career change. using my Lex to make some bux! and when its paid its way, get an LS with Sat nav and leather so that I can do the work in more comfort and with greater ease. Reckon Sat nav must be the professional Drivers godsend! :zee:

ok,how about this,get some expensive looking flyers and cards printed,spend a day dropping them at top hotels in the area, eg Palace Meredian, Brittania, Mal Maisson,Lowrys in Manchester for instance, i work near to the palace and the people to see are the porters,they deal directly with the guests, offer to bung them say a score £20 for every punter they get you and watch the bookings roll in, when the games were on taxis made a fortune from the hotels,eg £60-00 to £70-00 to the airport, all the mini-buses that get work from the palace bung the porters, old saying, money talks bull**** walks :D

best of luck anyway

P.S wanna buy a LS400 :D :D :D

Nice one loz

Rob is right in getting yourself loads of people to recommemd... best way for instant business.

Also if you have business cards you want the best quality possible.. this will reflect on your business.

Have nice touches like classy magazines (lexus ones :duh: ) and a up to date newspaper in the back pocket. Maybe a freshner pack so if you are on a trip to the airport they could freshen up!

sounds a great idea Loz and when you do it I am gonna put you into the hall of fame for a great news article!

:)

Problem with this line of work is 'low barrier to entry' (sorry).

I'd expect there's a market for showing tourists around towns and cities, so it would be handy to have good knowledge and have the patter. Perhaps tourist information offices would display your leaflets?

The airport run guy we use for business has a basic service but knows when to keep quiet and let his passengers sleep off the jet-lag. No treats like papers (good idea though), but ultimately what matters to us is reliability. It wouldn't take many no-shows or breakdowns (not a problem with a Lexus :winky: ) for us to start looking around for an alternative firm.

I'm sure it's pretty difficult to impress with business cards and the like these days. Just keep it business like, and emphasise aspects such as reliability and professionalism.

In the past we've had guys who drive like nutters, while smoking and didn't stop talking. They didn't last long.

Good luck!

Nige

Loz,i was a chauffeur for 5yrs(do you really want to do this) i've got a Black cabbies knowledge book

around somewhere(for london)yours if you want it?

it has been said but always have a couple of daily newspapers in the back(not SUN or SPORT)

an umbrella and if your client is with someone then always look after the guest.

You'll be forever cleaning the car(inside & out),standing around,telling traffic wardens to :tsktsk: off and b****y long hours and you MUST be able to keep to deadlines whatever happens?

And if your going it alone have a back up vehicle

You dont need certificates for driving....its a myth

If your lucky enough to to drive/work for one person(i was for two yrs)they will pay for you to go on courses

Mercs do a fantastic driving course

if all goes well you'll have the LS quicker than you think(loadsa money)

Its a tough cut-throat business

good luck!!

THanks again to everyone who has provided a useful reply. PJ, Can I quiz you some more on this at JAE. sounds like you have the persective I am looking for. I know it will be a hard slog and I do reckon with some @smart@ marketing I could pull some jobs. What I want to be sure of though is that when the phone rings I can meet the need. SO don't want to blast the market. Want to make sure my ettiquete is down and everything.

Think there could be some extra income in this and if other club members wanted to subcontract work then the coverage could be quite considerable for a start up firm. Also I heard that if you set up a booking office and a seperate firm as a contract driver you can get away with not having the private hire plates!

Looking good for your money!

Loz

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links