Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Substitute Spare Wheel?

Given that I have an lpg tank where the spare wheel should be, and I'm not that keen on travelling around with a spare wheel in the boot, is it possible to buy one of those temporary sealant kits to work on standards tyres like those on my LS? I'm not that keen on travelling with no 'protection' for a puncture (although I seldom travel too far from home).

Providing the puncture is suitable for a sealant i.e. there is not a large rip in the sidewall they are a basic "get you home" product.

I have heard even if the puncture was repairable most tyre fitters will not be able to repair the tyre after being filled with sealant so replacement is the only option.

If your tyres are checked on a regular basis and you try to avoid conflict with objects liable to cause damage the chances of actually getting a puncture are statistically very small so I would stick with the sealant.

If the tyre is ripped to shreds you are going to need a breakdown service anyway.

I keep my spare in the boot - I don't like spacesavers, they shouldn't even be legal imo, and don't trust puncture jollop, particularly where it activates automatically, and could mask a seriously damaged tyre.

Given that I have an lpg tank where the spare wheel should be, and I'm not that keen on travelling around with a spare wheel in the boot, is it possible to buy one of those temporary sealant kits to work on standards tyres like those on my LS? I'm not that keen on travelling with no 'protection' for a puncture (although I seldom travel too far from home).

Hi Jonathan

I keep my spare wheel in the boot, I was given a nice cover to go over it and as the boot is so big there is still plenty of room for half a dozen guitars a Fender twin and a case full of cables.

I also keep a can of the already mentioned miracle puncture repair snake oil. Talking to the guys who have looked after me tyre wise for the last 30 years that the big problem is that once you empty a can of that into the tyre they cant clean the tyre up well enough to put patched inside the tyre.

A small amount of boot space lost is a small price to pay for the savings you are getting.

Mike

I keep my spare in the boot - I don't like spacesavers, they shouldn't even be legal imo, and don't trust puncture jollop, particularly where it activates automatically, and could mask a seriously damaged tyre.

I agree, space savers should be outlawed.

Mike

Hi try ride on puncture sealant you can either pre fill all 4 tyres with it or keep a couple of tubes in the boot &a small 12v compressor.

A lot of new cars have no spare & a similar system VW & vauxhaul to name a couple.

If you pre fill it balances your wheels perfectly. So the ride becomes even smoother.

In times past, say 5 / 7 years ago, I investigated this pre-fill stuff so's one never had a total flat BUT the concensus was that the sealant buggered the sealing of the tyre to the rim at some stage and gave one an irreperable slow leak eventually ............... and permanently.

Malc

Damn that rug pull !

I was just considering the prefill tyre stuff.

Is there any truth to the ruined tyre rumours or is it a bit of scare mongering.

What's the stuff called, I will have a good shufti on Google.

Fair enough. Makes sense to me. Spare wheel is back in the boot and I'll look out for a cover too.

Plenty on eBay

We are off to Norfolk in the morning for a week so looking forward to the drive.

Mike

Enjoy. We're off to Lands End for the week....in a Vauxhall Vectra estate! I'm not having the dog scratching my leather and walnut!!

Fair enough. Makes sense to me. Spare wheel is back in the boot and I'll look out for a cover too.

Plenty on eBay

We are off to Norfolk in the morning for a week so looking forward to the drive.

Mike

Enjoy. We're off to Lands End for the week....in a Vauxhall Vectra estate! I'm not having the dog scratching my leather and walnut!!

My two dogs are brilliant they have never been chewers and are quite happy to be sat on the well covered back seat and enjoy the best ride in the world.

The only thing we have to make sure of is that our youngest Collie who was born with no eyes and completely deaf has her comfort blanket and jobs a gooden.

Enjoy Lands End. We normally have a cottage in Mousehole but everyone wanted a change this year so I was out voted.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links