Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Long For Engine To Crank Over?

My ls400 mk4 cranks over on start up a little bit longer than my previous cars, all of which had large engines. It's certainly longer than I would like and not as 'instant' as i would expect. I've newish plugs of correct grade and gap, but the leads are original (110,000 miles). Also, I think the petrol filter has never been changed. Could these be the reasons for the slightly longer cranking time? Thanks for any input.

My ls400 mk4 cranks over on start up a little bit longer than my previous cars, all of which had large engines. It's certainly longer than I would like and not as 'instant' as i would expect. I've newish plugs of correct grade and gap, but the leads are original (110,000 miles). Also, I think the petrol filter has never been changed. Could these be the reasons for the slightly longer cranking time? Thanks for any input.

Mine also fires instantly, and so did my MK2. I would also suggest as Steve says having the Battery checked. Is it something that's recently happened?

Might be an idea to make a short video and upload it - it will be alot easier for us guys to comment on

My ls430 starts faster once the system check has been completed, are we talking about getting in and turning right over to start, or turn over to pre start then after system check start, turn right over 1-4 sec after pre check 2 sec, that's crank and fire up. it does take a little time for all those computers and senors to speak to each other, it like runs a little diagnostic, a mechanic said to me once it's like the shake hands start, they all have to shake hands to each other before they are happy and will start, personally i think he had been at the thinners, but a nice way of putting it.

My ls430 starts faster once the system check has been completed, are we talking about getting in and turning right over to start, or turn over to pre start then after system check start, turn right over 1-4 sec after pre check 2 sec, that's crank and fire up. it does take a little time for all those computers and senors to speak to each other, it like runs a little diagnostic, a mechanic said to me once it's like the shake hands start, they all have to shake hands to each other before they are happy and will start, personally i think he had been at the thinners, but a nice way of putting it.

My engineering mind tells me to wait until the steering wheel has sorted itself. Mike

My engineering mind tells me to wait until the steering wheel has sorted itself. Mike

yep thats how i do it - also when getting out i wait for ot to retreat so that i dont put undue pressure on the motors when getting out

Yes I also let the steering wheel sort itself out on entry and exit. I don't feel the urge to multi task (multi tasking = buggering up more than one thing at a time!)

Like it, Mike.

Don’t be too hard on the mechanic Cruiser – handshake is a legitimate engineering term and is a part of most communications protocols so he would have been spot on if he had said hand shake not shake hands :). The ECU etc has to know that all the sensors are there and working etc so there will be communications that involve a protocol. Your phone, the internet etc would not work without “handshakes”.

I just turned my 430 over after a night on the driveway – the temp was 7C – and it fired up almost instantly. I did try turning the ignition on and waiting for the computers to finish and it did not make much difference – not that it would if it started immediately from dead.

In the past I have noticed that in the cold with an old Battery the car does take a few secs to fire. My Battery is only 3 months old so I expect great starting performance. The original Battery lasted 7 years but after 2 cold days at Birmingham airport I would need my booster pack to start the car so I replaced it - 7 years is a lot more than you should reasonably expect. The replacement lasted 3 years.

Don’t be too hard on the mechanic Cruiser – handshake is a legitimate engineering term and is a part of most communications protocols so he would have been spot on if he had said hand shake not shake hands :). The ECU etc has to know that all the sensors are there and working etc so there will be communications that involve a protocol. Your phone, the internet etc would not work without “handshakes”.

I just turned my 430 over after a night on the driveway – the temp was 7C – and it fired up almost instantly. I did try turning the ignition on and waiting for the computers to finish and it did not make much difference – not that it would if it started immediately from dead.

In the past I have noticed that in the cold with an old Battery the car does take a few secs to fire. My Battery is only 3 months old so I expect great starting performance. The original Battery lasted 7 years but after 2 cold days at Birmingham airport I would need my booster pack to start the car so I replaced it - 7 years is a lot more than you should reasonably expect. The replacement lasted 3 years.

When my Battery went a year or so ago Lexus fitted a new one and they said that it was the original Battery, so11 years cant moan at that. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links