Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had to go to a family funeral in North Norfolk yesterday and wasn't looking forward to doing the whole trip in a day (fog all the way there, dark on the way back, temperature barely above freezing). I left home at 8.00 a.m. and drove there mostly at the legal limit, and came home slightly more slowly because I wanted to reach the Dartford crossing after 10.00pm so I could avoid the £2 (rip-off) toll. Supreme comfort all the way, engine noise barely noticeable, plenty of power in reserve for overtaking, brilliant sound system (no need to turn the volume more than half way up), and of course it ran like a train without missing a beat. Indicated tank average over 400 miles: 33 mpg. Got home at 11.30 p.m. tired but not shattered - I haven't fallen asleep at work today. And all that from a car that costs no more than an old Fiesta, and which is worth pretty much what I paid for it in August 2010. And did I mention two MOT passes without work needed? I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but after two and a half years that car still amazes me.

I had to go to a family funeral in North Norfolk yesterday and wasn't looking forward to doing the whole trip in a day (fog all the way there, dark on the way back, temperature barely above freezing). I left home at 8.00 a.m. and drove there mostly at the legal limit, and came home slightly more slowly because I wanted to reach the Dartford crossing after 10.00pm so I could avoid the £2 (rip-off) toll. Supreme comfort all the way, engine noise barely noticeable, plenty of power in reserve for overtaking, brilliant sound system (no need to turn the volume more than half way up), and of course it ran like a train without missing a beat. Indicated tank average over 400 miles: 33 mpg. Got home at 11.30 p.m. tired but not shattered - I haven't fallen asleep at work today. And all that from a car that costs no more than an old Fiesta, and which is worth pretty much what I paid for it in August 2010. And did I mention two MOT passes without work needed? I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but after two and a half years that car still amazes me.

Trains ???? They do breakdown quite regularly, especially if there are the wrong type of leaves on the tracks, constantly run late, uncomfortable especially if you have to stand and be in the unfortunate position of being next to someone whos bodily hygiene resembles that of something that has been dead for sometime and and on top of that they cost a fortune, so one shouldn't use them to compare The Lexus LS400.

But I know what you mean about long journeys, although your journey wasn't the nicest journey to have to make. Mike

I drove my 430 to dorset from Birmingham and back. Got 35.1mpg which isnt too bad for a 430. Nice sound from the mark levinson cd player. Engine was nice and quiet, but the road noise isnt as quiet as the 400. Maybe thats why i want a 400 mk4 again.

The longest journey I ever do in my LS at the moment is a round trip to Manchester (55 miles). As you all know, it is done in great comfort and is very relaxing. I'd love to do a longer journey at some point but unfortunately I can't fit 5 kids in the back!

Took mine to France from our home in North Wales this last summer. It was marvellous! Preaching to the converted I know but this is a keeper. So much so that I'm LPG'ing her at Leeds LPG this Sunday.

John - letting the kids outnumber you was your first mistake! :)

Well I recently posted my comments on the Insignia I've been loaned. I've just covered 300 miles in it to and from the West Country. Today I got back in the Lexus and I agree with everything you've said (and I haven't forgotten that beer we mentioned!)

Phil

I do like the LS' s. If I had enough spare cash and my wife in agreement, I would like to get a year 1 (1989) LS400.

Maybe we can all have a word with your wife for you?

I do like the LS' s. If I had enough spare cash and my wife in agreement, I would like to get a year 1 (1989) LS400.

You may also have to find a year 1 model. Were they not USA only until 1992/1993? I'm sure the earliest LS400 I've seen is K reg.

I went to Italy in mine last summer loved every mile, off to the Lake District for a few days next week, had mine two years now and still smile every time time I get in it.

I am hoping to go to southern France this year. Need to get the dogs pass-ported. Mike.

You may also have to find a year 1 model. Were they not USA only until 1992/1993? I'm sure the earliest LS400 I've seen is K reg.

Lexus started selling LS400 in the UK in 1990. I'm pretty sure Lexus Cambridge was the first dealership in its own right in the UK (not bolted onto a Toyota dealer)

Lexus started selling LS400 in the UK in 1990. I'm pretty sure Lexus Cambridge was the first dealership in its own right in the UK (not bolted onto a Toyota dealer)

My first LS400 was a J reg

Malc

Okay, so there should be some G reg or H reg LS400's out there?

This isn't the start of a serious search, but if I were looking for a usable classic, I'd look at having a Year 1 LS400. People are still over looking them, whereas the price of Austin Montego's are now around £2000. Ford Sierra xr4i, similar prices.

Stuart.

People are still over looking them, whereas the price of Austin Montego's are now around £2000.

Stuart.

Really?

I fitted taxi meters and radios to a few of these when they first came out.

The quality and fit of the interior trim was shocking, even by 80s standards, our fleet of 70s Datsuns were streets ahead in every way.

Malc

First LS sold on the 5th June 1990 making it a G reg. 41 dedicated Lexus dealers on that day which had spent approx £6 million each for the franchise

People are still over looking them, whereas the price of Austin Montego's are now around £2000.

Stuart.

Really?

I fitted taxi meters and radios to a few of these when they first came out.

The quality and fit of the interior trim was shocking, even by 80s standards, our fleet of 70s Datsuns were streets ahead in every way.

The last two montegos listed on eBay were both on for more than £2000.00. The Maestro's are a little cheaper. MKII Vauxhall Cavaliers are selling for well over a grand now, convertible sri's are where the money is. £3500.00 for good examples with service history.

Yet K reg LS400's are on eBay and autotrader for less than a grand!?!

Malc

First LS sold on the 5th June 1990 making it a G reg. 41 dedicated Lexus dealers on that day which had spent approx £6 million each for the franchise

Wow, thanks for that Graham. Is there information available through Dvla to find out how many LS400'S from 1990 are still on the road?

Malc

Wow, thanks for that Graham. Is there information available through Dvla to find out how many LS400'S from 1990 are still on the road?

Try here

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

Same site but I'm having trouble making sense of it.http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/lexus_ls400_auto#!manufacture Will try again when I'm off the Becks.

Interpretation of the figures is a mensa teaser. In 1997 the LS range was no longer 'just the 400' so the figures dropped dramatically and 2001 was the last year the 400 was available. I think the 430 and 460 were the ones left before the 600 replaced them. Apologies if I've got the car codes wrong.

Mine is at the Doctors at the moment having the exahust weilded. I am missing her like hell. Its like having your arm chopped off. When you drive other cars, its then when you relise just how good they are. I do alot of miles in mine and its costing a fortune, but money well spent. Not sure weither to sell or not and upgrade to LS430 or LS460.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links