Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hi folks,

I have been checking my service records and can't see exactly when the cam belt was changed and as the last owner of my new car actually passed away last year, the last service is actually shown as about 18 months ago, so its about due a service I reckon.

Anyway, I have been n touch with the garage that has looked after the car for the past 9 years and they remember the car and the old gentleman very well. They say that they car is in excellent nick, and it should do me well... So while I was speaking to them, I asked them to sort me a price for a cam belt change and a service, oil and filter, pollen filters etc. full service anyway. It's just for peace of mind for me, before the summer and some long trips we are going to make.

They have come back with a price of £420 including vat for the full job, and thats using genuine Lexus parts. That seems very reasonable to me. Oh and that includes a loan car for the day. Not being up on service costs on these cars, can I ask you if you think that is actually reasonable or should I look further?

Thanks folks, your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Keith

Hey Keith, sounds like a reasonable enough price for work done that will bring you peace of mind, genuine Lexus parts, plus a free car for the day? If your confident of the workshop, I'd go for it, good luck,Iain.

Hi folks,

I have been checking my service records and can't see exactly when the cam belt was changed and as the last owner of my new car actually passed away last year, the last service is actually shown as about 18 months ago, so its about due a service I reckon.

Anyway, I have been n touch with the garage that has looked after the car for the past 9 years and they remember the car and the old gentleman very well. They say that they car is in excellent nick, and it should do me well... So while I was speaking to them, I asked them to sort me a price for a cam belt change and a service, oil and filter, pollen filters etc. full service anyway. It's just for peace of mind for me, before the summer and some long trips we are going to make.

They have come back with a price of £420 including vat for the full job, and thats using genuine Lexus parts. That seems very reasonable to me. Oh and that includes a loan car for the day. Not being up on service costs on these cars, can I ask you if you think that is actually reasonable or should I look further?

Cheers

Keith

dont forget the waterpump

Hi folks,

Cheers

Keith

dont forget the waterpump

Good advice, I wouldn't have the cam celt done without the water pump.

The peace of mind is really what this is for. A I said I'm not absolutely sure when the belt was done, the seller said at 114k but I want to be sure its ok, before the summer, and it can't harm anyway can it!

The place has great reviews on the net.

It's in north yorks, in Harrogate, so its back where i got the car from.

Anyway I will report back when I have it done next Thursday the 14th and let you know if its any good.

Thanks folks,

Keith

Just read the posts about the water pump. Presumably then I should get that changed at the same time?

I will ask them to price that for me also.

Thanks for that information, better to do It while you are working there anyway eh?

Thanks a lot folks,

Keith

It sounds so good that it is clearly not a quote from a Lexus dealer and all in all it sounds too good to be true - after the cost of parts too little left for labour and profit, I think...

No it's not a lexus dealer mate. But they do actually have a good reputation in the area, so we will see anyway. Oh and their labour rate is £40 hr.

Cheers

Keith

I don't like putting a damper on things but have they done one before. The reason I ask is that its a commonly accepted practice to change the water pump at the same time the fact they didn't ask you this would suggest they haven't and that they don't know just how much work is involved.

I am all for getting a competitive price for things but there is also the risk that you get a price that's so cheap they couldn't possibly be able to make a profit which after all are his wages.

The problem with this avenue is that it is going to lead to cutting corners. Once the job has been done you cant tell if Lexus parts have been used as they are all hidden and best practice is sacrificed for pulling it to pieces and putting it back together again.

I cant see how anyone could do the job for a little over £400 which includes parts and VAT, I cant see how anyone can expect to make money from it.

Its your car but I would be expecting to pay around double that. Good luck with whatever your choice is. Mike

Hi Keith,

That's a bit to cheap apx price for parts cam belt & idlers £160 plugs £60 filters £80 oil £48 that lot comes to £350 without labour at about 8 hours. £700 would be reasonable.

I will get back to them in the morning folks, and get clarification as to exactly what they will do. I need to make sure they change tensioner and the other bits, and water pump now so it will be more anyway. Some good advice folks so thank you for that.

Cheers

Keith

I don't like putting a damper on things but have they done one before. The reason I ask is that its a commonly accepted practice to change the water pump at the same time the fact they didn't ask you this would suggest they haven't and that they don't know just how much work is involved.

I am all for getting a competitive price for things but there is also the risk that you get a price that's so cheap they couldn't possibly be able to make a profit which after all are his wages.

The problem with this avenue is that it is going to lead to cutting corners. Once the job has been done you cant tell if Lexus parts have been used as they are all hidden and best practice is sacrificed for pulling it to pieces and putting it back together again.

I cant see how anyone could do the job for a little over £400 which includes parts and VAT, I cant see how anyone can expect to make money from it.

Its your car but I would be expecting to pay around double that. Good luck with whatever your choice is. Mike

I agree, take it from someone who's learned the hard way :megaangry: . For such a job I would now only use a Lexus garage

I had this problem last year,2 local garages qouted me about £450 to get the cam belt & waterpump changed.The first one had it for half a day then informed me the job was too big/complicated for them. 2nd garage said no prob.3 hour job £450 took the car along they tel me within 20 minutes to say they made a mistake and it would take 18 hours labour at £40 an hour,so I got my car back.

I then took it to Lexus in Chester who had qouted me £650 (actually charged me £630), for all the belts & waterpump,it took them a good 8 hours (including cleaning the car) very happy with the job & service but a lot poorer.

My advice would be to get a fixed price qoute for the job either from Lexus dealer or might be bit cheaper from Toyota.Also the work & parts are guarenteed.

Steve :driving:

The cam belt change on a 430 is 2.5 hours work (or so) the parts (third party £130) the water pump adds 10 mins of labor and £30 in parts I think. The job times are standard and from my local indi who charges £45 per hour. I had a problem with a corroded rad which bumped up the price a lot.

Not suggesting the water pump is changed would make me question the competence of the garage - just my opinion mind. An indi should be capable of the job you just need to make sure. My local are great.

Bren

Have just come off the phone to the garage, and asked them to quote for the water pump and to ask her about changing iders etc. The lady i spoke to told me that when she got the price from Lexus for the belt she did ask about idlers etc, as she said they normally change them with other cars. She said that the Lexus place told her that they did not automatically change them when they do a belt, and thats why she had not quoted for those also.

As for the water pump she did say that it coud be a good idea to change it at the same time, and will come back to me with the new price etc. She is also getting the cost for idlers, tensioners etc. While i was speaking to her she did tell me that they had previously changed the belt on this car, but could not remember when, but it was 5 or 6 years ago, as far as she could remember. Her records only went back a few years.

Just to check what she told me I rang lexus sheffield's service department, and asked them for a price to change out the belt and idlers etc. The service chap, Gary, asked me, without me asking him, why i wanted the pulleys etc. changing, as its not normally something they would do. Anyway they are also coming back to me with a price for the job, with and without pulleys. and with and without the water pump. Will be interesting to compare the prices.

Would be interested in why folk change these then when they change a belt if Lexus say its not something they would normally do? Unless of course thats just Lexus Sheffield.

Quick update. The original garage have just rang me back and said that if i want the pump and idlers changing the new price would be £768.20... a big difference. She said the only labor costs would be one hour extra, but the parts are expensive. I think she mentioned £70 for each pulley? and over £100 for the pump.

She again said that lexus dont say to change the idlers, but pump could be a good idea, but they could check the pump when they did the job, and if there was any sign of leakage, then give me the option of changing it if i wanted to do it that way.

So will wait for Lexus to come back to me, and take it from there.

Cheers

Keith

Have just come off the phone to the garage, and asked them to quote for the water pump and to ask her about changing iders etc. The lady i spoke to told me that when she got the price from Lexus for the belt she did ask about idlers etc, as she said they normally change them with other cars. She said that the Lexus place told her that they did not automatically change them when they do a belt, and thats why she had not quoted for those also.

As for the water pump she did say that it coud be a good idea to change it at the same time, and will come back to me with the new price etc. She is also getting the cost for idlers, tensioners etc. While i was speaking to her she did tell me that they had previously changed the belt on this car, but could not remember when, but it was 5 or 6 years ago, as far as she could remember. Her records only went back a few years.

Just to check what she told me I rang lexus sheffield's service department, and asked them for a price to change out the belt and idlers etc. The service chap asked me, without me asking him, why i wanted the pulleys etc. changing, as its not normally something they would do. Anyway they are also coming back to me with a price for the job, with and without pulleys. and with and without the water pump. Will be interesting to compare the prices.

Would be interested in why folk change these then when they change a belt if Lexus say its not something they would normally do? Unless of course thats just Lexus Sheffield.

Quick update. The original garage have just rang me back and said that if i want the pump and idlers changing the new price would be £768.20... a big difference. She said the only labor costs would be one hour extra, but the parts are expensive. I think she mentioned £70 for each pulley? and over £100 for the pump.

She again said that lexus dont say to change the idlers, but pump could be a good idea, but they could check the pump when they did the job, and if there was any sign of leakage, then give me the option of changing it if i wanted to do it that way.

So will wait for Lexus to come back to me, and take it from there.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

I think the reason that the Water Pump is changed at the same time the Cam Belt is being changed is that to get at the Water Pump you have to take the front of the engine off the same as doing the Cam Belt and as the Water Pump is probably one of the components more likely to fail mainly due to the harsh environment and the job it does an extra £100 at that stage is common sense other wise you have another huge bill on your hands when it finally let go.

Don't forget as well that all your Lexus labour and parts are guaranteed which is sometimes a difficult area when it comes to smaller garages.

Good luck with which ever route you pick. Mike

The garage at Harrogate also has a full guarantee Mike. Here is the print about it from their website.

"In the unlikely event of a replaced part failing due to incorrect fitment or the part itself being faulty, we offer free parts and labour for replacement within 12 month or 12,000 miles commencing from the date of original fitment, whichever is the earlier."

I asked them about the guarantee and they said it covers this job. It's a bloody minefield out there, but hopefully will get a bit easier as I get used to the car.

Thanks for the advice mate,

Keith

Yeah it's not 2.5 hours.

Hi Sam

2.5 hours does sound a little short doesn't it - so I just dug out the invoice from my local indi and it was 3.5 hours at £50 for to fit cambelt and tensioner - the water pump is 10 mins extra. I needed a new rad and 1/2 an hour was added for that - I let them get away with that. The cam belt kit and tensioner was £175. that was at 200K

My local garage uses an online system that gives them all the job timings and proceedures.

Here is a link to how to do the job and this guy in the US says 8 hours for a Lexus dealer and 12 hours for an indi.

http://www.shastaanesthesia.com/Lexus/Page1.html

Bren

The garage at Harrogate also has a full guarantee Mike. Here is the print about it from their website.

"In the unlikely event of a replaced part failing due to incorrect fitment or the part itself being faulty, we offer free parts and labour for replacement within 12 month or 12,000 miles commencing from the date of original fitment, whichever is the earlier."

I asked them about the guarantee and they said it covers this job. It's a bloody minefield out there, but hopefully will get a bit easier as I get used to the car.

Thanks for the advice mate,

Keith

Minefield??? Your doing the right thing by asking all the questions now before the work is done as all the advice in the world is no good once you have had the work done and it falls to bits in front of your eyes. Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links