Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Would You Look Down On A Diy Serviced Ls430?

On my LS430 it has a full service history, the first owner had it serviced by Lexus and then when it came out of warranty, he had it done at his usual garage.

The second owner had it done at Lexus.

I have had it done at Lexus so far.

Now coming up to my next service, would you look down on an LS430 if I had serviced it myself, the thing is, I am perfectly competent and have my own car lift etc etc. But it worries me that it will really affect my LS value.

If I had receipt for all the parts from the local Toyota dealer. A service checklist etc and all filled in properly.

Would you think twice or would you prefer it to be done by a dealer?

For a major the cost is £359.

Doing it myself would cost around £60 in parts, ( assuming major covers, engine oil, diff oil, air filter, pollen filter, brake fluid )

Interesting, Chris is that regardless of all the oil/filter receipts being present etc?

Or does it only apply to, yes I DIY serviced it by lost the receipts.

I think when it comes to a complex car like the Lexus I would want a service record for the cars later years from an independent at least, and obviously main dealer for the earlier years.

Phil

This is a bit bolting the door after the horse has bolted, as you are already in this position.

Sadly we live in times where Trust is a rare comodity and people dont mind breaking that trust.

If after meeting you and finding you a trustworthy and decent sort of guy I buy the car from you with the story you have told us I then sometime down the line try and sell it, it will almost certainly work against me. So then we are back to square one where main dealer stamps are king. Mike

I would rather buy a car from you with reciepts, than one with no service history, i do all my oil , filters and brake pads my self, other complex stuff to independant garage , most inys dont even stamp the book anymore, will be doing mine every six months,as filters are so cheap .Diff oil is another self service

I think if you are keeping it long term are confident and competent in doing the servicing yourself it makes little difference on a 12 year old car no matter what the make.

Even if you sold it would you recoup the cost of that dealer service in the selling price, no.

When I bought mine at 12 years old I never received any service history with it as it was a JDM import, took a chance I know but to date I have never had a serious problem with it and from looking around it I came to the conclusion it must have been serviced as items like the brake pads were all OEM Toyota and with plenty of wear left on them.

I have only used an independent garage once for the cambelt as the price they quoted was too good to refuse ( they realised after 10 hours!)

I plan on keeping mine until it falls to bits so service history won't come into it and I know it has been done right plus a £500.00 dealer service on a car worth perhaps 3 times that is not viable.

• Like 1

Well whenever I sell my car it's usually at my warehouse, so there's always the opportunity for them to see the ramp etc.

Meh, this needs careful consideration as I also plan on doing the timing belt.

I think the savings would take over the hit on the value.

I personally don't have a problem with DIYd cars aslong as I can see the receipts etc.

Personally I would rather buy a car off someone with the skills & the tools, As you can be reasonably sure that the car has been looked after. If you keep the bills for the parts & document the services & repairs it shouldn't be a problem when coming to sell.

I do my own servicing and repairs up to and including cambelt level and like steve2006 think unless the car is only a couple

of years old and has a high value,dealer stamps don't carry much. weight.

Recent posts regarding rubbish welding and main dealer overcharging for guess work repairs

and failing to do the work correctly, kill their value for me.

However,non practical drivers may well get some reassurance from stamps in the service book.

Totally agree with Steve and Roy, I keep all receipts for service parts ect and even the ones for little things like bulbs, then our local independant garage does everything for just labour cost.

Wouldn't bother me. The amount you'd spend at Lexus getting it serviced compared to the amount you'd make when you sell it just won't make financial sence. I plan on doing the oil/filter changes on mine after I use a free service I have at my local Lexus garage.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links