Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Hello all.

I own an IS200 for some time now. Great car, but mine's an auto transmission and gets a little out of breath from standing-start red-light sprints, until its second-wind RPMs are developed between 4000 to 6000. I also need the space (just a little bit more), to fit a family with 3 kids.

Am thinking of switching to a GS300 and would appreciate your experiences with this car model, good or bad, to help me make an informed decision.

Is there anything to watch out for? Have read problems relating to internal rattles, fidgetty suspensions and wind noise. Are these very common to be concerned about? I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years, should I buy it.

IMHO, I found my IS200 to be a very well-built. Solid and tight. I hope to be able to say the same for the GS300 after my test drive (arranged next weekend).

Thanks.

Wow! What a choice! I must say that I've really started to like the GS300 recently. I drove a GS300 S at my local dealer a couple of years ago when my car was being serviced. My wife doesn't like big cars, but she took a shine to it too!

I've recently purchased a new IS200 SE auto and I have recently started to wonder if I did the right thing. I should have splashed the extra cash and gone to 32k for a new GS300 SE! :D

Get the GS300 mate. Pure luxury ! Cruises like a hovercraft. Best car I ever drove was a GS300 S (whilst my Mk 1 was in for service). It was gorgeous. Get one in decent nick though. :winky:

I get my Mk 2 GS300 Sport a week tomorrow.

agree.... but I would, I have one.

Seriously, I do like a big car but I was lookng at BMW 740I / AUDI A8 / Jag S Type/ Merc E Class.

Now if you read "What car buyer" it says lex cant compete.... Utter twadle mate!! It rips them all a new a55hole. Its the smoothest gear change I have ever driven which is why I took mine home the day I test drove it. Its the erfect balance of power to handling abilty. in the last 30 hours I did 712 miles in mine on the HOTTEST DAY ON RECORD. It was the only place to be on that day. to cap it all. My 9 year old son was with me and he wants to get back in it today!

THey are a boss motor. period.

Loz

ps. I used to have a vibration at around 80mph but have snce changed tyres and no longer get any interference with my cabin cruise conditions. It also returns 290 miles to reserve driven hard and 330 driven "normally".

You won't find the GS as solid or well built because it isn't, although 2000+ models seem better. Rattles, wind noise and fidgetty suspensions are my complaints although the first two are mainly apparent because the car is so quite that you notice everything. Suspension on the 430 seems much better, maybe the 300 is better now although I haven't driven anything newer that 2001 model.

You do get more space although rear headroom is not good for anybody over 6ft, hopefully your kids are not that big!

If you have an auto IS200 then you shouldn't notice an increase in fuel costs.

I had one of the 1st IS200's and kept it for two years...It always had poeple looking into it when I returned to the car simply because it looked so different and new at the time. Only complaint was the power....but everything else compensated completely

I now have a GS300 and did over 500 miles in her this last very hot weekend.....agree with Loz it was the best place to be. Smoooooth as silk on the M25 & M1 and not a Vectra Driver was spared on the cruise......I just fitted 19" Mille Miglia Action wheels with 245/35 Toyo T1 shoes and she still runs quietly but corners better than with the originals.

Rattles...none...MPG not bad at all... Cred...always good...individuality intact.....love my car?....yes indeed.

Buy one but choose carefully...get a long test drive and check for steering wheel shake over 60 and on braking.

Bought mine from a nice fellow from Wokingham who had every invoice/service record and tax disc the car ever had. S reg 1999 48000 sold for £12000. So searching for a goddi is time well spent.

Hope you have fun when you buy one

Dave

L33EXY

Well, mine is now in its tenth year and dosen't rattle and everthing still works like when it left the factory despite its little altercation a few years ago. Surely the MK2 has to be better.................or does it. :o

I tested a couple of MKIs before I got the MKII and yes the MKII is better, quiter with less creaks and clicks.

I still find the MKII creaks too much when you press any of the trim parts or hit a bump but I guess I am very fussy. Most people does notice, including the sales people. However I have been in 5 or 6 different MKIIs (one month old to 5 years old) and they all do it.

I guess I don't notice those creaks cos I have spent the last 42,000 miles enjoying the Serenity that is GS300 driving experience. TO me it is the quietest, smoothest Car I have had. I love it and appart from a vibe issue at 80mph that was cured but new tyres (old one on near side had a screw and a nail in it!) then its been just dandy!

But I would not know how to compare it to an IS... two different cars entired. THings I like about mine that you wond find on the IS are things like the big solid doors. When the window is down and my arm resting on the top there is no feeling of the glass in my arm cos there is a big fat cussion there and the glass is hidden. hard to explain but as Vincent says in pulp fiction, "....its the little differences"

:zee:

Ps. The GS300 is better on fuel though than the IS200. Its the most economical car in the range. Check the stats!

The GS 430 SPort is also the Quickest Car in the Range! beating the SC430 to 60mph!

I give you a brand leading model at both ends of the spectrum. and still, its the worst seller!

GS300 has worse official stats than either the IS200 manual or auto. In practise it seems the GS300 is better than the IS200 auto, but not the manual.

The GS430 (SE or Sport) is the fastest model in the range, however the US ones are even faster. Why do they get 300bhp and 0-60 times 0.5s quicker? Same thing with the GS300/IS300. :ohmy:

GS300 has worse official stats than either the IS200 manual or auto. In practise it seems the GS300 is better than the IS200 auto, but not the manual.

The GS430 (SE or Sport) is the fastest model in the range, however the US ones are even faster. Why do they get 300bhp and 0-60 times 0.5s quicker? Same thing with the GS300/IS300. :ohmy:

of course few manufacturers would publish that their little car was thirstier than their bigger car... independent tests however...... :whistling: :winky:

:zee: :offtopic:

What's the fuel consumption like on the GS300 compared to the IS200. Is insurance much dearer too?

I like the GS300 - and really like the GS430 - guess it's a bit out of my price range though!!!

average heavy footed tankful delivers 26-29 mpg based on 310 miles to reserve light and £46 quid a fill on optimax at 79 pence a litre. your can do specific maths based on the above althought that includes a couple bottles worth of noz fun!

not sure about insurance but mine aint that dear... what price do you put on fun/comfort/style/individuality/FM attributes...?

Loz

Insurance is a little more for a GS over a IS but not much.

The GS is a bigger car and is auto so it does use more fuel than the IS, however because the IS is so poor it's size there is not much in it.

I average around 25mpg in my GS which is mainly small journeys within town, on a run between 28-32. When I drive the IS I get around 27 town and 33 on a run.

Thank you all for your feedback. :)

Well, overall I think the pluses of the GS300 far outweigh its minuses, from what I hear.

Have arranged for some test drives over the weekend and will seriously consider upgrading to a GS300 if it feels and moves better than my IS200. That's a given, I think ..... :winky:

Good Luck Astrid. Look forward to seeing you in a GS soon then matey-bubble!

Ps. if you get chance, drive a normal and a sport back to back and feel the difference, you will deffo have a preference one way or t'other.

Loz :zee:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links