Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dont Make The Same Mistake I Did!

Hi guys

Just thought id share with you guys.

i made a horrible mistake just over a week ago to fill up at a tesco petrol station, and i must say ive never seen petrol leave my tank that quick. Im quite an aggressive driver i must admit but it gave me about 280 miles which i'm sure no-one would be happy with. who wants to pay 80quid for 280 miles.. **sigh :glare:

lol Martin i hear u - but if u think about it properly, why is tesco fuel so cheap? must be watered down no? personally i think so, my cousin that drives a 3.2 litre x5 told me the same thing, he only buys petrol from shell and bp, i think im gona start doing the same. where do u get petrol?

The Lexus IS200/IS300 is designed to run on 95 Octane unleaded. Many argue that putting in any higher octane (super unleaded) will have no or limited improvement. Supermarket petrol does not contain any of the additives that the 'proper petrol' companies use. Esso, BP, Shell etc put a lot of money into development and make claims that their petrol will go further on a tank of petrol. If they sold the same stuff to the supermarkets, then there would be no point paying for the advertising to try and get you to to them directly.

I use Morrisons and Tesco because I have their loyalty cards, but I usually notice an increase in MPG when I use Esso. . . .

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart. That makes sense now! In my previous car 1.6 audi a3, i didnt mind i'd get petrol from anywhere once it was cheap lol, but because the lex gives me alot more performance and i drive it like im playing my playstation i need the best consumption i can get, coming from 55 quid to 80 quid for a full tank is quite a big gap lol but something i gotta get used to i guess :)

• Like 1

As everyone will say, 'If you drive it heavy footed, then your fuel consumption will go up. Drive it carefully and change gear at the correct times, you'll do well'

The official figures for the IS200 combined cycle are 28.5 MPG. I have been very cautious and have an average of 31.4MPG since I purchased the car in January and have completed over 11,000 miles. I like the knowledge of having the power if I wish to use it, but I also want to get my petrol to last as far as it will go. I can usually get 450 miles out of the tank without too much concern.

£80-£90 per tank is a lot. I fill to the brim as well and I'm going to try and only fill the tank to 35 litres each time. It will mean I may have to stop more often, but with the reduced weight from carrying 35 litres less should improve the fuel economy.

I just use regular unleaded from Tesco, not the 'fancy' stuff. Mainly cos its closest to me and on my direct route to work. Is it cheaper than most places? Yes but asda is usually cheaper. The 5p off a litre promotions they do (that others do now) are also a benefit. I only drive 3 miles to work so my fuel economy isnt gunna be good cos of the constant short trips, but on the plus side a tank still lasts me weeks ;-)

Stuart do u remember Ormi mentioning on FB that additives are what 'water down' the fuel? ;-)

• Like 1

Stuart do u remember Ormi mentioning on FB that additives are what 'water down' the fuel? ;-)

Vaguely. The supermarkets will not do anything to the fuel that they purchase from the suppliers. They just buy the basic cheapest stuff that they can. It'll still be 95 Octane, but cheap stuff.

If you run your car and clean out the pipes on a regular basis, then you'll appreciate the results of the additives, in most cases, you'll probably not notice.

I advise against Sainsbury's fuel. I used it for the whole time ive had my car so maybe 7 months because its most convenient and i like my nectar points. Ive recently switched to BP and noticed a smoother running engine. Maybe better MPG but cant tell for sure. Same nectar rewards at BP and double on ultimate

• Like 1

Ultimately the 'mistake' gstarr60 has made has nothing to with buying tesco fuel tho has it? Driving aggressively with 'better' fuel isnt really gunna see him get anymore out of it. 2 options - dont drive like a loon, or get a more fuel effecient car lol

• Like 1

Hi guys

Just thought id share with you guys.

i made a horrible mistake just over a week ago to fill up at a tesco petrol station, and i must say ive never seen petrol leave my tank that quick. Im quite an aggressive driver i must admit but it gave me about 280 miles which i'm sure no-one would be happy with. who wants to pay 80quid for 280 miles.. **sigh :glare:

shell Nitro v Power averages 31mpg for me at 70mph constant cruise. that's 4 miles town driving and 20 miles motorway commute to work. £50 v power gives me roughly 240miles all worked out manually and not from satnav or on board computer reading. haven't used supermarket fuel before so don't know how it would fare.

I have recently been driving in snow mode and have to say it's either a placebo, or actually makes a diff.

The logic make sense. I may be wrong but I think snow mode limits the amount of fuel going in - it certainly feels like that anyway. However sluggish it might feel when you first use it, once you get used to it it's actually lot better because if you come to overtake a bus or something switch it off and your car comes alive! haha.

Honestly makes fuel go further on motorways if not all the time.

• Like 1

Hi Billnick. It's no placebo, but it's not the fuel it restricts. The snow mode regulates the accelerator and the engines response. I use it all the time. Yes you use less fuel, but it's because snow mode doesn't allow the engine to over rev and it also responds slower. It's the early part of the development that manufacturers turned into eco buttons. . . . . .

Hi Stuart. It was yourself that I took the recommendation from on Facebook ;-)

So yes I thought it made acceleration more steady which I guess makes your foot "less heavy" when you press the throttle. Preventing loss of excess fuel not needed to get you round that bus ;-)

Been working well for me....thanks! :-)

• Like 1

what mistake?if you are too heavy right footed you get crap mpg irregardless of what car you may drive moreso an IS 200,the more you put your foot down the less mpg you get.

• Like 2

I have to admit the only good thing about the diesel car i owned was as much as i thrashed it it never used more diesel than if i pottered about in 5th all day

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links