Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cam Belt Cost And Recommendation

Hi

My son has just about to buy an LS430 that is overdue a cambelt change. (we can knock the price down to cover this). Can anybody please advise the expected cost?

Also any recommendations around Doncaster, Sheffield, Lincoln or Scunthorpe of where to get the cambelt changed?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Andy

Hi

My son has just about to buy an LS430 that is overdue a cambelt change. (we can knock the price down to cover this). Can anybody please advise the expected cost?

Also any recommendations around Doncaster, Sheffield, Lincoln or Scunthorpe of where to get the cambelt changed?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

To be safe I would have the water pump etc changed at the same time. I was quoted £530 for the complete job, cam belt, tensioner, water pump and whatever else is down there. So I guess that's a ball park figure.

Phil

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

If you are prepared to travel a little further afield, and who doesn't in a LS400 there is Lexus Coventry apparently doing a good deal.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83596-cambelt-change-at-cov-lexus-l295/

Hi Andy,

Here is my input on this question. I bought an LS 400 Mk4 over the last August bank holiday. The car had 166,739 miles on the odometer and the timing belt had been correctly changed at 120,569 miles. BUT, this was done on 3 November 2004. Lexus recommend that the timing belt should be changed every 60,000 miles or 6 years whichever comes first. Obviously, my car was overdue from the time-elapsed standpoint.

I decided, therefore, to go to Lexus Guildford for advice. They agreed with my thinking and added that the water pump should also be replaced at the same time for good measure. I asked about also changing the tensioner and idlers. Here I was told that this was not strictly necessary but suggested that these items should also be replaced if undue wear had become evident. For my own peace of mind I decided to change EVERYTHING. Here is what I bought:

1- Water pump £88.36

1- Timing belt £48.41

1- Chain tensioner £78.24

1- Cam belt idler £83.47

1- Cam belt idler £84.65

Sub-total parts £383.13

VAT £76.63

TOTAL PARTS £459.76

This figure was arrived at AFTER Lexus Guildford gave me a 10% discount on account of my LOC Gold Membership.

I then asked my independent mechanic to give me a quote for fitting these components, but I also asked him to include a MAJOR SERVICE in his quote to include:

-Drain and refill brake fluid £20.00

-Flush out coolant and replace with Toyota antifreeze £20.06

-Change oil, oil filter and air filter £67.87

-Change spark plugs @ 312.61 X 8 £100.88

Total servicing parts £208.81

VAT 41.76

TOTAL (no Gold Membership discount here) £250.57

The quote for LABOUR for both timing belt plus major service is £350.00 plus VAT which I find entirely reasonable. This means that I am looking at a total bill of £ 1,060.33 (including VAT) in parts and labour for all of the above. I hope this helps.

Pepe

Years of following this Forum lead me to understand that the Mk 1,2 and 3 cambelt change is at 63000 miles and the Mk4 at 100,000 miles .......................... and with 10 year intervals !

Guess I might be wrong then !!! :whistling:

Malc

Years of following this Forum lead me to understand that the Mk 1,2 and 3 cambelt change is at 63000 miles and the Mk4 at 100,000 miles .......................... and with 10 year intervals !

Malc

Interesting observation, Malc.

My service booklet is properly stamped by a Lexus franchised dealer at 120,569 miles, which is a nice tidy multiple of 60,000 miles. Another scenario could be that the correct interval is indeed 100,000 miles, as you say, and the previous owner simply overshot and rather belatedly changed the timing belt at 120,000. Ah, well, I guess it's too late now. No doubt I'll be sleeping exceedingly well from now on. I would be interested in comments from other Mk 4 owners.

Pepe

Malc

My service booklet is properly stamped by a Lexus franchised dealer at 120,569 miles, which is a nice tidy multiple of 60,000 miles. Another scenario could be that the correct interval is indeed 100,000 miles, as you say, and the previous owner simply overshot and rather belatedly changed the timing belt at 120,000. Ah, well, I guess it's too late now. No doubt I'll be sleeping exceedingly well from now on. I would be interested in comments from other Mk 4 owners.

Pepe

There is always a lot of talk regarding these infernal cam belts but I have been a member on here for the best part of 3 years and I don't remember seeing a tale of woe when one has actually let go. Unless of course you know different. Mike

I think I have been a little careless here because Andy is referring to an LS 430 whereas my car is an LS 400 Mk4. Could it be that the correct interval for the LS 430 is indeed 100,000 miles and 10 years?

Malc

Pepe

There is always a lot of talk regarding these infernal cam belts but I have been a member on here for the best part of 3 years and I don't remember seeing a tale of woe when one has actually let go. Unless of course you know different. Mike

Blimey Mike,I hope you haven't 'hexed' everyone's Lexus on this thread, by referring to those 'infernal cam belts' in such cavalier fashion, .....?...!.....

Malc

Pepe

Blimey Mike,I hope you haven't 'hexed' everyone's Lexus on this thread, by referring to those 'infernal cam belts' in such cavalier fashion, .....?...!.....

Lets be honest or as our politicians say "let us be clear" these engines could have been built to have cam belts that last the life of the engine or use gear wheels, of course they wouldn't get the extra business for all the replacements needed but to design something that should it let go will wreck your engine, that is criminal. Mike

• Like 1

The Mk1 and 2 and I'm not sure about the Mk3 are non-interference, but the Mk4 will just go bang if the cambelt snaps .......... but the life of a cambelt, probably 150,000 miles maybe.

I did read a piece years ago that they tested one to destruction ..... at 150,000 miles.

Malc

The Mk1 and 2 and I'm not sure about the Mk3 are non-interference, but the Mk4 will just go bang if the cambelt snaps .......... but the life of a cambelt, probably 150,000 miles maybe.

I did read a piece years ago that they tested one to destruction ..... at 150,000 miles.

Malc

So they were able to make an engine that didn't self destruct when a cam belt went but some years later and with more knowledge and even better design aids and tons more technology it became impossible to make an engine like the older non interference engines? I am smelling a rat. Mike

I seem to recall that the 70s Ford Pinto engines were interference on 1600cc, but non interference on 2000cc.

That said, the belts tended to outlast the cams anyway, particularly on the early cars, which often clattered before 10K.

I think I have been a little careless here because Andy is referring to an LS 430 whereas my car is an LS 400 Mk4. Could it be that the correct interval for the LS 430 is indeed 100,000 miles and 10 years?

You are right on the 100K interval for the LS430. I made the same mistake and tried to knock the seller down because he had not had it done at 60K. He phoned Lexus next day and immediately phoned me to say I had made a mistake and it wasn't due yet!!! Luckily we are buying it off a neighbour and he knows it was a genuine mistake. At least I think he does. If I find my lawn suddenly dying, I probably know why :unsure:

Anyway, thank you very much to all who posted, nice to see the forum members are very helpful when you have a question. Hopefully the famous reliability of the Lexus means we will only have 'how does this work?' rather than 'how do we fix this?' questions in future. We should have it in a week or two, so will let you know how we get on if you want. It is for my son who wanted it as soon as the next door neighbour said he was selling it. The LS430 is a strange choice for a 25 year old, but he always has been different from the crowd.

It is an 06 in dark blue with cream leather and spotless in and out. If I ever get round to working out how to upload photos, I will stick some on.

Thanks again for everybody's help

Andy

I'm currently living under the "cambelt uncertainty" shadow. The sticker on my engine says about 60,000 miles. The receipts I collected when I bought the car include a timing belt and tensioner kit at around 120,000 miles, but that's no guarantee the work was done. The car is currently at around 175,000 miles.

I'm going to have it done early next year, unless a glut of work comes in. I've just had both front strut rods replaced, new ARB links installed, and new shocks and accessories on the rear, so with a load of work on the house and investment in the business, I'm a bit short.

I don't suppose there's any easy inspection hatch on the mk4 engine to look at the condition of the belt?

But is the Mk4 cambelt change at 100,000 miles tho' ?

Malc

Hi Malc

From all I've read up to now, I for one am still not 100% sure that the Mk 4 has a 10-year 100,000 mile interval. The LS 430, yes, as indicated above, but I still haven't read a categorical statement regarding the Mk 4. Do you recall where you got your information? Many thanks

Pepe

But is the Mk4 cambelt change at 100,000 miles tho' ?

Malc

Hi Malc

From all I've read up to now, I for one am still not 100% sure that the Mk 4 has a 10-year 100,000 mile interval. The LS 430, yes, as indicated above, but I still haven't read a categorical statement regarding the Mk 4. Do you recall where you got your information? Many thanks

Pepe

I thought the MK4 engine was the same (more or less) as the 430.

Phil

Pepe, I really can't remember where on this Forum over the years I have read the 100,00 / 10 year thoughts on the Mk4 cambelt change, apologies.

I do try to read most of what goes on here and to take it all in :whistling: ................ but age is against me !!!!

BUT I do remember reading with certainty the cambelt destruction level at 150k miles .................. these OEM cambelts are just that strong.

On my Mk 3 I'm taking the view to change the belt, tensioners and waterpump at @180k miles ( that will be it's third change of belt ), probably in 3 / 4 years time and within the 10 year timeframe. ...... and at that mileage the plugs and leads too.

Malc

Hi Malc

The recommended cambelt change interval on the Ls 400 Mark4 is 63000 miles according to the vehicle service schedule ,incidently the transmission fluid change interval is 32000 miles.

I had the belt changed on my 18k mark 4 when it was 14 years old last year and according to the tech at Lexus it was like new but the recommended time restraint is 10 years it had already exceeded that by four years.

It as to be borne in mind that the biggest strain applied to a cambelt is on start up,On the Lexus LS400 mark 1 there was no mileage or time interval for a cambelt change unless the vehicle had been used as a Taxi or delivery vehicle in other words lots of starting and stopping of the engine.Lexus UK covered their backsides with toilet paper on this one and swiftly reccomended 60k change when the question was asked.

I had a regular mileage change on my Mark 1 and 14 k after the second change the water pump gave up and shredded the new belt but I have never heard of a cambelt failing for any other reason.

Just to add a little bit of clarification to this ongoing discussion on cambelt service intervals. When the Mk 4 LS400 was introduced with the VVT engine, there were some changes made to the front of the engine compared with the Mk 3. Of principal interest to this thread is the new cambelt, water pump and one of the idlers (I can't remember off the top of my head whether it was No 1 or No 2 idler) that were fitted to the VVT engine. The other idler and belt tensioner were carried over from the Mk 3 engine. During production of the Mk 4 the service interval for cambelt changes was stated as 63k. I have no reason to believe that Lexus have ever officially revised this interval upwards, and feel that with the newest LS400 now being 13 years old, any future revision is consdered unlikely.

However, the cambelt and associated idlers fitted to the Mk 4 were carried over to the LS430 - same items, same part numbers. The cambelt service interval for the LS430 is 100k / 10 years, whichever occurs first. The cambelt is part no 13568-59095, later superceded by part no 13568-09070. Both part nos relate to the same item. Common sense and logic generally dictates that an item with a service life of 100k / 10 years fitted to an LS430 should have the same life expectancy when fitted to an LS400. I have certainly made this assumption with my own car, although I do have to admit that the first cambelt change was carried out several years ago at 63k. The next one will be carried out at the 10 year interval as I am extremely unlikely to reach 163k before the 10 years is up. Also, at my age this will certainly be my last ever cambelt change.

The generally perceived wisdom with these VVT engines is to replace the water pump at every second cambelt change. With all the embuggeration needed to strip the front of these engines, a new pump is a small price to pay for peace of mind. As a general rule there seems little evidence to suggest that the idlers suffer from excessive wear, although once again I shall change both idlers and the belt tensioner on my own car when the time comes. (I have always been slightly OTT with maintenance)

For those owners who are new to the Lexus V8, a first glance under the bonnet can lead many to think that the water pump is driven from the rear of the fan by means of the serpentine belt. The pump is actually driven from the reverse (non-toothed) side of the cambelt, and a siezed pump can ruin your entire day, to say nothing of the damage inflicted on an interference engine.

If anybody out there has seen a cambelt service revision from Lexus, do please share it with us.

Regards, Alan

Just to add a little bit of clarification to this ongoing discussion on cambelt service intervals. When the Mk 4 LS400 was introduced with the VVT engine, there were some changes made to the front of the engine compared with the Mk 3. Of principal interest to this thread is the new cambelt, water pump and one of the idlers (I can't remember off the top of my head whether it was No 1 or No 2 idler) that were fitted to the VVT engine. The other idler and belt tensioner were carried over from the Mk 3 engine. During production of the Mk 4 the service interval for cambelt changes was stated as 63k. I have no reason to believe that Lexus have ever officially revised this interval upwards, and feel that with the newest LS400 now being 13 years old, any future revision is consdered unlikely.

However, the cambelt and associated idlers fitted to the Mk 4 were carried over to the LS430 - same items, same part numbers. The cambelt service interval for the LS430 is 100k / 10 years, whichever occurs first. The cambelt is part no 13568-59095, later superceded by part no 13568-09070. Both part nos relate to the same item. Common sense and logic generally dictates that an item with a service life of 100k / 10 years fitted to an LS430 should have the same life expectancy when fitted to an LS400. I have certainly made this assumption with my own car, although I do have to admit that the first cambelt change was carried out several years ago at 63k. The next one will be carried out at the 10 year interval as I am extremely unlikely to reach 163k before the 10 years is up. Also, at my age this will certainly be my last ever cambelt change.

The generally perceived wisdom with these VVT engines is to replace the water pump at every second cambelt change. With all the embuggeration needed to strip the front of these engines, a new pump is a small price to pay for peace of mind. As a general rule there seems little evidence to suggest that the idlers suffer from excessive wear, although once again I shall change both idlers and the belt tensioner on my own car when the time comes. (I have always been slightly OTT with maintenance)

For those owners who are new to the Lexus V8, a first glance under the bonnet can lead many to think that the water pump is driven from the rear of the fan by means of the serpentine belt. The pump is actually driven from the reverse (non-toothed) side of the cambelt, and a siezed pump can ruin your entire day, to say nothing of the damage inflicted on an interference engine.

If anybody out there has seen a cambelt service revision from Lexus, do please share it with us.

Regards, Alan

Thank you very much, Alan, for this very erudite and thoughtful input. All is very clear now. Like you, I am a bit OTT with maintenance but my view is that there is always a reason for the recommended intervals and that trying to second-guess the manufacturer is not worth it with these lovely cars.

Pepe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links