Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I know this has been raised before but my newly arrived LS400 has hundreds of tiny pock marks on the windscreen. When the light is in a certain direction it seriously affects visibility. I never saw it on the test drive or the journey home. Has anyone ever successfully had their windscreen polished? I think it may be a case of a new windscreen as it is positively dangerous at this time of the year, the visiblity is so badly affected. I have read that aftermarket windscreens might affect noise levels in the cabin, any evidence of this?

My excess is £75 for a new screen, anyone know the full cost of a replacement if I do not go through the insurance? I am not sure whether the insurance will spring for a new screen, it is not cracked or broken, but as said, there are serious visibility issues. Anyone else gone through this?

I think a Lexus (Toyota supplied and fitted) screen is around £600, after market screens as supplied by the come to your house service around 400.have you not got a couple of unruly kids in your street with a ball.

Hi Hugh £874 for a new mark4 screen + £125 for the chrome strip that goes along the top , A mark 3 screen will fit but there is a slot in the black section on the bottom to show the vin number that needs blacking out before fitting.

Try one of the other usual culprits if I was you !!!

That's a dopey price to pay .... @£1000

Malc

Thats through autoglass as a genuine lexus screen is the only one they do for a mark4 , mark3 they have aftermarket ones. It was done on my insurance as a stone went through it £70 excess .

Mine is a Mk 4 so if that is correct I should get an OEM screen, which is good news. I agree, the roads are atrocious but it's hard to describe the effect on my screen, they are not so much stone chips but almost as if it's been sandblasted

Mine is a Mk 4 so if that is correct I should get an OEM screen, which is good news. I agree, the roads are atrocious but it's hard to describe the effect on my screen, they are not so much stone chips but almost as if it's been sandblasted

I had the same on a BMW 530D - really, really annoying when the winter sun hits it.

I had the same on a BMW 530D - really, really annoying when the winter sun hits it.

Agree that it is annoying.

I have had a few over the years, and have always noticed that over about 8 to 9 years old this pock-mark effect starts to happen.

Got no idea why, it is like someone had a woodpecker wreak havoc, and most of the time it does not notice, but in spring and late autumn it does.

One answer is to move house so that you are always driving away from the sun.

My Mk4 has the problem, but not as bad as my previous Mk2, or my wife 10 year old Honda.

But agree I think a grand to solve the problem is not worth going for.

I wonder if the oil, salt and diesel fume crap kicking around these days is responsible. DIesel particulate and water create a sulphuric type acid. Just think what PM10 is doing to our lungs if it is the stuff pock-marking our windscreens.

I had a similar issue on my '93 - two or three minor chips, plus bad scratches/road rash on the screen.

I just took it to a local windscreen company who I've dealt with before (possibly National Windscreens, I'm not sure), and explained the problem, and that I'd like a new screen, and he was happy to do it under the insurance.

At the end of the day, I guess the insurance company just has to rely on the judgement of the windscreen fitter that the problem is bad enough to warrant a new screen. The guy I saw seemed to think that road rash was enough of a safety issue on its own to justify a new windscreen, and I was happy to pay the £75 excess!

That's the same problem I have with my windscreen at this time-didn't notice it in the Summer,but these last few mornings,and late afternoons,with the sunny days we've been having,it's like a whiteout-effect,I think I'm going to have to replace my windscreen sometime soon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links