Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is More Important - Mileage Or Age

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an RX400 hybrid, and have a budget of about 15K.

At this price it seems like I could afford a lower mileage (35k miles) 2006 version or a higher mileage (60k miles) 2008 version.

I was wondering which option is best - less miles or newer?

Also is there a certain mileage above which it would be inadvisable to purchase?

Appreciate your replies,

Thanks!

This is a very interesting question. I am in the market for a used GS hybrid so am keen to learn more too.

Assuming both cars have full service history and good maintenance record, I would guess that the lower mileage one would be the slightly better of the two. The Battery pack health shouldn't be that far off from each other. This is based on my observation on a couple of high-milers; for example, Tonyricha's GS450h is nudging 200k miles and he doesn't appear to comment on the lack of performance due to Battery degradation. However, when time comes to resell your vehicle, the lower-mileage one could be more attractive to buyers.

That's just my guess/opinion, so I am very keen to hear more from others :)

In your case I would go for the 2008. Mileage does not bother a 400H they will easily do 200k. If it's had the inverter recall done there are no worries over the hybrid system. Plus in the case of the RX it had an upgrade in 2008 (Smoked lights, chrome handles etc)

• Like 1

probably worth getting a facelift model (2006 onwards with the hybrid badges on the rear doors). Mainly cosmetic changes but has a better nav display, better Bluetooth support, stereo can read mp3 files.

60k miles isn't high, I would go with that 2008 option over the 2006 one.

I would be worried about an 8 year old car that has only done 30k miles - means it's been sat around decomposing :shifty:

For a newer model to have a high mileage, that can only be caused by lots of motorway miles. Motorway miles are very good for a car - constant speed, no braking, no clutch wear, little gearbox wear etc.

My last motorbike spent 80% of it's life on the motorway and I sold it in perfect running order with 96k miles on the clock in 7 years - that is a huge mileage for a bike.

My 2007 RX had 103k miles on when I bought it a year ago and, touch wood, nothing has gone wrong. It was previously a company car, so did lots of motorway miles and had all it's services done. And I paid £9.5k for it (privately) :phone:

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies - all very interesting, and good to know that (like all Lexus) it will take a high mileage.

Think it's just a psychological thing really, I just like to see a small mileage on the odometer!

Regards,

Philip.

My beauty is due to get 14th stamp at Lexus (!) still looks and drives spot on with no issues whatsoever, have seen nearly murdered at a half of that mileage, so history and condition first.

Monte

With those stated mileage figures it doesn't really matter IMO. For me it becomes a no go at 70k plus. Everyone has their limits.

In your position I would go for the newer model as it will have a better spec I imagine.

Stu

at 80k miles plus you have shocks, bushes, engine mounts all wearing. All will probably keep going for years but it just won't be a tight as a newer vehicle with less miles. I always smile when somebody states their 150k miles vehicle drives as well as the day it was new - chances are they never drove a new one or it was such a long time ago that you would never remember.

• Like 2

Variation on same topic...

Low mileage pre-facelift or high mileage facelifted RX450h... assuming similar spec and condition?

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously - condition first (in and out) and whether the inverter recall has been done etc.

I went for 2006 one due to colour availability/time-constraints/price, but I wish I had gone for the 2007+, as - among few other differences - it has a higher resolution navigation display (and newer software) so you have a lot wider selection of 3rd party audio addons which allow you to do many more things than older generation - such as even connecting an Android device and use it by touching the navigation display - how awesome is that? 2006 model is quite limited in its extensibility and thus any audio additions disquise themselves as a 2nd CD changer. Even then, still one can get add-ons for iPod/iPhone integration, Bluetooth audio (not to be confused with telephone bluetooth), AUX-IN, USB etc (GROM module for example) - that might be all you need.

Also, any of the models is an SE-L with the Mark Levinson hi-fi audio system? I wish I had that too - though standard SE audio system is very good, I always guess how much better ML one would be!

Other than the above, I think there is no big difference - even looks-wise, the chrome handles - if that's important - can be bought in the aftermarket and fitted quite easily.

Wish you a successful purchase! Good luck

Variation on same topic...

Low mileage pre-facelift or high mileage facelifted RX450h... assuming similar spec and condition?

High mileage RX450, IMO...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links