Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Thinking Of Buying One....

bluenose1940

My wife won't drive my IS250 but she has fallen in love with the CT200h, and, when we go down to one car (which isn't too far off), this is the sort of car that she would be happy with. I will continue to try to get her to have a go in my 250 first. We used to have a VW Passat and she always drove that without problems and I don't think that there is much difference sizewise.

My cousin has one (a CT) and his wife really enjoys driving it and she has convinced my wife that she will love driving one.

I have a couple of questions...............

Firstly, I will be keen to buy something with similar spec to my current SE-L, i.e it should have all the bells and whistles, including tilting wing mirrors when engaging reverse gear etc. etc. Is the CT SE-L the same as my SE-L? Do they come with Mark Levinson sound systems?

My cousin had to buy a conversion in order to get a spare wheel, I would probably want to do the same. Anyone else done this? I wouldn't want to be driving with a can of gunge in the boot!

Is there anything particular that I should be aware of or should look out for when buying?

Thanks for looking.

Both mark levinson and a spare wheel are standard if you get a 2014 model premier. There are a lot if other upgrades in 2014 worth looking at.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Spare wheel standard on 2014. Only issue I see for you is auto dip reversing wing mirrors which dont come as standard for some reason until the FSport & Premium which have antiglare mirrors. FWIW the CT Advance is well speced out for the money (front sensors nice to have)with only the no dipping mirrors being notable thing missing item. Your wife will find the vision out the CT very good especially the clever designed rear window with the section at the sides which looks seemless from outside.

I have 2011 SE-L and can confirm there are no tilting / folding mirrors. Does have heated seats, front & rear parking sensors and leather seats. I have also added cruise control.

My wife initially was terrified of driving the CT, however, after realising it was the only way she could get to work, she started driving it & couldn't then get it back off her. She actually said she couldn't believe how much attention the car received, plus how easy it was to drive & no need to activate wipers and lights.

She now has a Fiesta and have my Lexus back. :shifty:

p.s. If you look at CT 200 forum, you will notice there are very few ( possibly no ) issues with build & reliability. Great car to own & drive.

Thanks for the input thus far, interesting comments. Disappointing re the tilting mirrors, they are a real asset I've always thought. I would have thought that it would be quite easy to include them in all models.

I'm quite concerned about how much I will miss the extra oomph of the 250. I will be arranging a lengthy test drive, hopefully to keep the car for a couple of days or so. What is the response like when you put your foot down? I've never driven a hybrid, do you have total control as to when the petrol cuts in/out. When you are using cruise control on a lengthy motorway run is it running on Battery and if you then need some extra oomph to get round something do you get that from the petrol bit?

Thanks again for the comments so far.

Honestly bluenose1940 you need to just drive one. Let them know you coming and youll get the car for plenty of time. I would suggest unlike other test drives you let the saleman drive it for a bit and explain it all before you take the wheel. Check out Toyota Prius videos from Toyota on Youtube as there are more available that explain how the hybrid system works. Lack of oomph compared with your 250 will be noticed for sure but the quiet smooth driving experience will negate that. Sport mode has instant throttle response something you only get with hybrids really since the switch to turbo charged engines everywhere.

Honestly bluenose1940 you need to just drive one. Let them know you coming and youll get the car for plenty of time. I would suggest unlike other test drives you let the saleman drive it for a bit and explain it all before you take the wheel. Check out Toyota Prius videos from Toyota on Youtube as there are more available that explain how the hybrid system works. Lack of oomph compared with your 250 will be noticed for sure but the quiet smooth driving experience will negate that. Sport mode has instant throttle response something you only get with hybrids really since the switch to turbo charged engines everywhere.

The IS250 is smoother than the CT though. Its a brilliant blend of slick and smooth V6 perfectly matched to its transmission. After driving the CT, I wasn't a fan, in my view it is not in the same league as the other Lexus models and feels more Toyota-esque.

Lack of oomph isnt noticed too much in town however, its a PITA on the motorway, slightly dangerous if im honest.

You seem to have made your mind up already. Things in CT favour to consider are major saving on fuel over a V6 petrol, no road tax and low insurance which on the latter took me by surprise.

saying wether a car is refined or not i think depends where you have come from,if you have been driving a car thats nearing the end of its life then you will really like the modern car as it will feel so different from what you are used to driving there again if you've come from a bentley then you may not be happy with 99% of the brands / models available today.

everyone is individual and likes and dislikes will differ

saying wether a car is refined or not i think depends where you have come from,if you have been driving a car thats nearing the end of its life then you will really like the modern car as it will feel so different from what you are used to driving there again if you've come from a bentley then you may not be happy with 99% of the brands / models available today.

everyone is individual and likes and dislikes will differ

Thats a good point actually. If I was in my 20's id probably take the CT, IS in late 30's and then go up from there. But obviously, once you get to the LS, its hard to go back to any other car in the Lexus lineup apart from if you want to downsize. Other than that, the LS is the best car in the lineup hands down.

Things you might not like about a CT.

Some people will accuse you of driving a milk float.

Some people will try to convince you that he CT is the same as an Auris. ( mostly Auris drivers)

The CT handles like a small car because it is a small car don't be surprised if it doesn't act like a bigger, more expensive car.

If you like to spend a long time complaining at the dealers, you will be very disappointed with a CT.

People in supermarket car parks like to target our CT So far the count stands at 5 supermarket hits in 30 months. CTs seem to come with an externally mounted nit wit magnet.

Personally, I can live with all these things apart from maybe the nit wits who run into our car and then try to run away as if nothing has happened.

Hiya Wass, thank you for your input, some interesting points.

I've not driven one yet but, looking at one in the showroom about 12 months ago whilst waiting for my 250 to come out of the service bay, the only thing that disappointed me at that time was the lack of a spare wheel which can be remedied anyway. I didn't go into it in too much detail as at that time I wasn't looking to change.

Interesting point about the Auris, I was wondering how many CT owners looked at the Auris and the Prius whilst they were considering the CT and if they did, what was it that made them choose the Lexus, was it because they had owned a Lexus previously.

With regards to supermarket problems, I am one of those people who park as far away as possible from the entrance and the trolley bays to hopefully avoid such incidents, better still, go in the wife's Fiesta!

I looked at the auris and test drove it and it seemed forgettable - nothing drew me to it - similarly the prius also can't stand the shape nor honda's hybrid. Looked at a small Volvo but in the end the ct looked stylish drives well and is super reliable. It's drawn lots of good comments since I've had it especially the colour combination of ultra blue with cream leather. Ignore all talk about sluggish response - it's perfectly well powered for normal driving - if you want 0-60 in 6 seconds you'll not be looking here anyway - the key is in a good long test drive - uh and go for 16" wheels - they're not quite as cutting edge as the seventeens but a softer ride - better fuel economy marginally and half the price to replace. I'm pleased I waited for the 2o14 facelift model - just a shame they dropped the grey leather option which I quite liked. I just saw the latest stars on uk registered CT's and there's over 14,000 so there's a lot if others who agree

I looked at the auris and test drove it and it seemed forgettable - nothing drew me to it - similarly the prius also can't stand the shape nor honda's hybrid. Looked at a small Volvo but in the end the ct looked stylish drives well and is super reliable. It's drawn lots of good comments since I've had it especially the colour combination of ultra blue with cream leather. Ignore all talk about sluggish response - it's perfectly well powered for normal driving - if you want 0-60 in 6 seconds you'll not be looking here anyway - the key is in a good long test drive - uh and go for 16" wheels - they're not quite as cutting edge as the seventeens but a softer ride - better fuel economy marginally and half the price to replace. I'm pleased I waited for the 2o14 facelift model - just a shame they dropped the grey leather option which I quite liked. I just saw the latest stars on uk registered CT's and there's over 14,000 so there's a lot if others who agree

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

It all depends on the kind of driving you do. City driving is fine for the CT, the name even sounds exactly like city! I never felt as if it needed more power in the city or in town. If you plan to take long trips on the motorway and live near winding country roads, its probably best to go for another car because the power will definitely frustrate eventually.

I looked at the Auris estate. (I was coming from an Accord Estate) but when I went into the Toyota dealer I was totally put off by the attitude of the salesperson and did not feel welcome.

I think the CT and the Accord are very similar cars except in size. My compromise was the small boot. The benefit, free road tax (the accord was £475) and 60 mpg instead of 28. Oh and I saved £30 in the insurance too.

The real test will be next week when we try and go on holiday; to see if we can get everything in the boot of the CT.

Some really interesting observations here, thank you. I spoke to my cousin yesterday and he was telling me that whilst he liked the car from the off, it took him almost a year to fall in love with it and, he would definitely buy another when change time comes around. Did any of you take a time to 'fall in love'?

He also told me that he never uses the EV mode, always normal or sport for him.

From what I am reading on here it would seem that a 2014 model is the one to go for but, as I couldn't afford to go that route at the moment I may have to wait until next year and get myself a one year old jobby.

You may be interested to look at a car broker website. I looked at broadspeed. Whilst you might not want or like to go their purchase route - and I've not heard anything bad - it does indicate how much 'give' there is in the headline prices and it could prove useful in driving a dealer deal? Might close the price for you?

Good luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links