Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

............. now on 168,500 and use Wilko semi synthetic 15 / 40 ........... for 40+000 miles, since I've had the car.

seems ok

Malc

• Like 1

Think I'll stick to the tried and tested. 6 litres of Castrol Magnatec fully synthetic 5W/30 at Euro Car Parts for £37.99. Always used it in all the Mercs I've had with no problem. Thanks for the replies.

Which version do you use John, there are various types like A1 A3, usually buy mine from Halfords when on offer but have a trade card now.

Think I'll stick to the tried and tested. 6 litres of Castrol Magnatec fully synthetic 5W/30 at Euro Car Parts for £37.99. Always used it in all the Mercs I've had with no problem. Thanks for the replies.

Which version do you use John, there are various types like A1 A3, usually buy mine from Halfords when on offer but have a trade card now.

This one is A1 - Ford Spec. Just got a WIX oil filter on eBay for £4.48 too.

i use Mobil 1 0/40 in mine,never had no probs, it never seems to use any, thinner or low viscosity better for start up,it looks like iv put in stella artois on the dipstick,hope i haven't made a mistake

• Like 2

.............. I've been running Ls400s for 14 years now and never used other than " ordinary " oil, and now it's complicated, using semi-synthetic .... my indy reckons it fits the bill ok and tbh I've enjoyed spot on motoring for many years now and maybe @200k miles ......... on semi-synthetic ( of late ).................. like Heineken maybe.

I won't be changing anytime soon............... and it's about £15 for 5 ltrs at Wilko :outforcount:

Oil change once a year and it always looks like new on the dipstick.

Malc

• Like 1

LS 400 V8 (1990-95) = 5w-40 fully synthetic or 10w-40 semi-synthetic
LS 400 V8 (1995-97) = 5w-40 fully synthetic or 10w-40 semi-synthetic
LS 400 V8 (1997 onwards) 5w-40 fully synthetic

For high mileage (125,000 miles) I recommend 10w-40 semi-synthetic!

• Like 1

Used Magnatec for both my Lexus 400s the first one for 14 years was 15/40 then Castrol discontinued the 15/40 and now I use 10/40, change the oil and filter every two years as I only do about 3k a year.

Engine wear was apparent on the Mark1 at 150k mainly valve stems, borne out by blue smoke on start up.

I prefer Magnatec because of its so called Magnetic qualities but a very educated Engineer friend in the states doubts the credibility of this and says all oils will do the same job if clean and unburnt.

He rebuilds 1930s cars from the ground up I am lucky to know the guy check is work on; Google Ed LaBrush MG TD V8

• Like 1

I use 5w-30 semi-synthetic, Millers Trident, in both my LS400s (mileages of 164,000 and 215,000) and they run fine on this.

It is around £18-19 on eBay with free delivery.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links