Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mechanical Problem All Models

We all have had, at some time, mechanical issues with
our cars which really get us down, especially niggling little things that seem
to annoy. But what if the “problem” is you?

I have very
recently been diagnosed with heart disease and would like to share my
experience (so far) with you all, so that if the unfortunate happens to moi then
this may be of help and reassurance (I hope as well!). I have just got home
from a Coronary Artery By-Pass Graft (CABG) in St Thomas’ Hospital, London. My
operation is more commonly known as a Triple By-Pass of the coronary arteries.
The day after I bought my Lexus (no kidding) I was diagnosed! One of my
concerns was how it would affect my ability to drive and whether I would be allowed
to drive by the DVLA. So how will this impact on my driving? The short answer
is that it depends!

Please do not hold what I say as definite but check to
make sure. I would be pleased to hear of anyone who has a view to the contrary.

Heart Conditions

1) You must inform your insurance company if a
medical practitioner says you must. It is also, I believe, safer to inform them
anyway. If you do not inform them of any changes then in the event of an
accident your policy could be void.

2)
For quite a few heart conditions YOU DO
NOT need to inform the DVLA

This
came as quite a surprise to me as this included by-pass surgery!

Please
see DVLA information sheet INF188/4 entitled “Car or motorcycle drivers with
heart conditions: When you need to tell us about your condition” found on their
website. This clearly states when you are able to drive with heart problems.

My
experience:-

I
was allowed to drive before my operation provided I met the conditions (see INF
188/4) of controlling the symptoms.

After
the operation I am not allowed to drive for at least 6 weeks and until my
consultant says I am fit to drive after my check-up (6 weeks approx.)

I
informed both of my insurance companies. The “Post Office Car Insurance” said
that was not an issue and when your surgeon gives you the go ahead to drive you
may do so. No mention of an extra premium.

Sure
Thing! Insurance asked the same questions,

“Do
you need to inform the DVLA of your condition?” said the representative.

“No
but I have been told not to drive for 6 weeks after my operation.” I said.

“May
I ask what you operation was for?” said the representative.

“Coronary
Artery By-Pass Graft (CABG), I said.

“Just
wait a minute, sir,” came the reply.

He
was very surprised this condition was not notifiable. He checked with the
underwriters of the insurance and they have taken me off the insurance until I
am able to send them a letter from the surgeon stating that I am fit to drive.

It
is interesting to note how different insurance companies handle what is
regarded as, a serious, yet medically routine operation. I will let you know
how I get on after the check-up!

So
my poor Lexus must sit in the garage for 7 weeks …… unless my wife would like
to take me out!

Has
anyone else had any experience with the DVLA / Insurance companies regarding medical
issues?

Very informative so thanks for sharing, I wish you all the best and a quick recovery.

The reason I would think for the suspension of the policy whilst you are recovering is simply to cover their own ***** and of course they are going to either extend your policy by 6 weeks or refund the difference aren't they..... I doubt it will be either.

Looks like you will be popping out to start the LS400 up every few days and just sitting inside it will be good therapy,try sitting in the back seats and imagine being chauffeur driven :)

• Like 1

I had a couple of stents fitted to my heart about 16 months ago. I was in the gym at a spinning class (!!) when I felt a bit short of breath. I went to my GP who sent me to the hospital, my wife was away so I drove myself and parked in the hospital car park expecting to be out in an hour or two. I was kept in for six days (it was a long weekend, so no surgery) and the doctor who discharged me didn't seem bothered by my decision to drive myself home, he even arranged to get my car out of the car park for free!

• Like 1

I had a heart attack in 2001 at the age of 44. Not allowed to drive for 6 weeks after,and of course my HGV entitlement was suspended for 6 months. DVLA informed,but has made no difference to insurance premiums strangely enough.

I had to undergo a treadmill test to get my HGV licence back,and I now have to be tested every 3 years to retain it. Can't do the treadmill anymore due to a dodgy hip replacement 4 years ago,so now they inject nuclear crap into my system to mimic exercise.

They have recently changed the chemicals they use in this test to make it a whole lot better experience,as the old way was horrendous. They used to supply a Kit-Kat and a drink of milk for this test,but due to 'cut backs' you now have to supply your own!.

When I had my hip replacement in 2011,I wasn't supposed to drive for a few weeks afterwards,but I then owned my first LS400 which was parked on my drive,and I just couldn't resist a quick blat round town. SWMBO went ballistic and hid the keys 'til I was 'officially' allowed to drive again.

March 2007, got up in night for a pee, came back to bed and couldn't get my breath, told wife to get an ambulance and off to hospital we went.

To cut to the chase, my arteries are shot, and they said, after an angiogram, too bad to have the op.

Gave up smoking(heavily!!), took the 11 tablets a day prescribed, and got weight down from 16+ stone to around 13.

I'm still here, and two days ago, shovelled and barrowed 3 tons of chippings down the side of the house.

You sound to be better off than me having had the op, so hopefully you have plenty of time left to enjoy driving your LS, best of luck to you.

March 2007, got up in night for a pee, came back to bed and couldn't get my breath, told wife to get an ambulance and off to hospital we went.

To cut to the chase, my arteries are shot, and they said, after an angiogram, too bad to have the op.

Gave up smoking(heavily!!), took the 11 tablets a day prescribed, and got weight down from 16+ stone to around 13.

I'm still here, and two days ago, shovelled and barrowed 3 tons of chippings down the side of the house.

You sound to be better off than me having had the op, so hopefully you have plenty of time left to enjoy driving your LS, best of luck to you.

Well done on losing the weight. I don't think I would be doing such strenuous work. Good luck with it anyway.

Ahhh ive found the reason for OUR medical problems..... All related to being LS owners hahaha,

As some of you are aware I HAD Lymphoma cancer this time last year, and had the decision wether to sell or park my LS up.... Many kind people volenteered to run it for me whilst I was poorly (cheeky bar stewards lol)

I informed DVLA as well but my condition didn't require notification to DVLA or my insurance company

Which I thought was odd as I'm also a HGV driver....

Anyways I got better (didn't sell my car) and now back to terrorising car drivers on motorways in my lorry

• Like 1

Mike. Lesson from this is....don't assume-the + 25 years!

as to Insurance Companies suspending your insurance for the 6 week period. Why did you bother telling them? as you weren't going to drive for 6+ weeks anyway? I've left car for 6 weeks untouched. Then, if your Doctor tells you you're fit to drive, then, surely, you are fit?

Am amazed at the mention of treadmill test for HGVs. If you'd have seen to size of my bus driver yesterday! No WAY could he do one! Just about dragged himself off the step-down!

Sitting here looking at this screen for too many hours can give a person back ache though! (It rained today.....)

If you do not tell your insurance company all relevant information (i.e. if they later found out about the condition) it can invalidate your insurance, even if you are well - as you have not informed them of any material change. I understand what you are saying but I was advised by the health practitioner to tell them. It is usually no problem. Sure Thing! are just being painful. There are sympathetic insurance companies recommended by the British Heart Foundation. If I have any grief from them I will change insurance.

The main point I am making is that you are not usually penalised for honesty and you run the risk of invalidating your insurance if you don't disclose material information.

• Like 1

If you do not tell your insurance company all relevant information (i.e. if they later found out about the condition) it can invalidate your insurance, even if you are well - as you have not informed them of any material change. I understand what you are saying but I was advised by the health practitioner to tell them. It is usually no problem. Sure Thing! are just being painful. There are sympathetic insurance companies recommended by the British Heart Foundation. If I have any grief from them I will change insurance.

The main point I am making is that you are not usually penalised for honesty and you run the risk of invalidating your insurance if you don't disclose material information.

I must admit I have often wondered why people in charge of passenger vehicles, Coaches, Taxis, Trains are not required to be as fit as a pilot has to be. You are being entrusted with the well being of paying passengers and having a driver/pilot so badly over weight is a recipe for disaster. Mike.

• Like 1

Very interesting thread. Six weeks ago I experienced four TIAs (transient ischaemic attacks) within a 90-minute period and was whisked into hospital with siren sounding and blue light flashing. The upshot is that after a four-week ban I am back on the road and will probably never experience these things again as I'm now on an anti-coagulant and statin for life. The insurance company have not blinked, nor have the DVLA - coincidentally I needed to renew my licance, being well over 70. It wss a real treat to get back behind the wheel of my 430, I can tell you.

AFB

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links