Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alarm Bells!

Just wondering about the alarm system on my car.

I am off on holiday shortly and my car will be parked up on my drive for one week.

If for any reason the alarm should go off, anyone have any ideas how long it will blast my neighbours ears for before it runs out of power and becomes silent again?

On the occasion that my Battery ran low, I had a telephone call at 2am from 'Tracker' to say that they had received an alert on their system and "was everything OK?" I will probably phone them beforehand to tell them that I'm away.

I have to admit that this is a constant niggle in the back of my mind. It is highly likely I suppose, that nothing will happen but, you never can tell.

Do you trust your neighbour? If so - it may be a better option to leave a key with them - just the electronic fob without the tag and the manual key.

I tend to give my father in law the key to my cars and I give the neighbour his number just in case the alarm goes off or anything.

Having said that - I leave my car (albeit in the garage) for 4 weeks at a time and had no problems - even starts first time too.

A neighbour with a BMW had his alarm going off all night - he had gone away. Can you lock the car with the key without putting the alarm on? Just a thought?

Yeah you can - if you open the door and then use the inside controls to lock all the doors and then close the door - itll be locked from the outside.

But - bear in mind that the immobiliser wont be on.

Take the car with you.... every Lexus also deserves a holiday :).

IIRC all alarm systems are required to reset after a period of time but re arm so if there is another attempted theft it will go off again but otherwise stay quiet.

Last January I left the 300h in an airport car park for 16 days with sub-zero temperatures at night and

probably also during the day. I was so worried about the possibility of the alarm going off and finding

the Battery drained that I sometimes woke up in a cold sweat. The car started at the first attempt,

which must mean that the alarm never sounded despite vibrations, wind, temperature changes etc.

The car started at the first attempt,

which must mean that the alarm never sounded despite vibrations, wind, temperature changes etc.

It could have gone off multiple times, it just didn't repeat enough to flatten the Battery.

Unfortunately you don't get any indication that the alarm has gone off when unlocking the vehicle. I've owned cars in the past that would flash the lights a different number of times depending if the alarm had been triggered or not.

Right enough, Colin, but I always fear the worst as the result of twice experiencing flat batteries with other cars

after long-term parking in cold weather. On both occasions I was told that the alarm had sounded, reportedly

with diminishing frequency and/or loudness until it finally stopped, presumably simultaneously with the death

of the Battery itself. And on neither occasion was there apparent evidence of an attempted break-in, so I was

baffled as well as inconvenienced.

"Can you lock the car without putting the alarm on?"

Surely that defeats the object does it not?

Besides, if the car was broken into or stolen, your insurance would not cover you!

"Can you lock the car without putting the alarm on?"

Surely that defeats the object does it not?

Besides, if the car was broken into or stolen, your insurance would not cover you!

They wouldnt know that though would they :P lol

• 1 year later...

So I left my CT at the airport long stay parking for 8 days and when I got back the car started normally. My problem was that when I put it on Drive it would not move... After several attempt of switching it off and on again I've heared a loud bang coming from the rear and the car started moving normally. I guess that was the parking brake that got stuck to the drum??? What should I do to avoid this to happen again?

On 05/09/2015 at 7:45 PM, ColinBarber said:

It could have gone off multiple times, it just didn't repeat enough to flatten the battery.

Unfortunately you don't get any indication that the alarm has gone off when unlocking the vehicle. I've owned cars in the past that would flash the lights a different number of times depending if the alarm had been triggered or not.

Doesn't the alarm module have it's own rechargeable Battery? On previous cars the alarm was totally separate from the car systems Battery, meaning it couldn't flatten the car Battery and also if the miscreant disconnected the car Battery somehow the alarm wold still sound.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links