Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Picking Your Brains........

If I may, I would like to pick the brains of you switched-on Lexus buyers/sellers/owners out there.

What sort of depreciation figure would be the 'norm' on an immaculate 63 plate IS300h with 7000 miles on the clock. Or alternatively, what would be a realistic price one could expect to get for such a car.

Many thanks.

I would expect a '63 to be about £5k less than a '64, then maybe another £5k less as trade in, so maybe £19-20k?

Wowee!!!! Frightening isn't it.

Has any member on here ever done a comparison of running costs between a CT200h and the IS300h? Is there much difference?

I would expect a '63 to be about £5k less than a '64, then maybe another £5k less as trade in, so maybe £19-20k?

Wowee!!!! Frightening isn't it.

Has any member on here ever done a comparison of running costs between a CT200h and the IS300h? Is there much difference?

Not that frightening, cars depreciate, and depreciation is actually the biggest cost to car ownership...It's a far bigger cost than fuel/servicing/road tax.

The newer the car, the higher the list price, the more they depreciate. In the first 12 month deprecations also the worst. Every time you change to a newer car your suffering more deprecation, the only way to avoid that cost is to not buy a new car, or don't change cars for 5-10 years at a time.

We paid £36K for my wife's IS300H 7 months ago, I suspect we wouldn't get much more than £25K as PX.

Dosen't bother us, the car is going to be staying with us for many years. We knew fully that buying used would have saved us £5-10K but at the end of the day we judged the car to be 'worth it'.

However I'm much more of a penny pincer than my wife, and I certainly wouldn't be buying a brand new car....Not unless it was really good :)

I agree with Ganzoom here, I recently bought my IS premier, for what seemed like an obscene amount, more than double the price of any other car I have ever purchased, we had the choice of investing the money in another flat to rent or buy the car, the car won!

I justified it as I work 60-70 hours a week, had 2 days of in the last 4 years, and use the car for work, it will save me a £1000 a year in fuel costs, and thought it was time we treated ourselves.

I will probably run this car for 8- 10 years, at the current rate putting on about 150-200k in that time, hopefully the car will take it, and compared with a "boring" car might have cost a couple of hundred pounds a year extra (just need to find some sensibly priced servicing!)

• Like 1

Not a particularly good way to cheer you up, this is from What Cars depreciation calculator. Another way to see how they depreciate is to get a PCP quote. This will give you the Guaranteed Future Value (GFV) of the car, which will equal the one off payment required to clear the finance. Typically the car will halve in value over 3 years.

post-26582-0-73239900-1447260988_thumb.p

The cheapest way to run a car is to buy a £500 banger with a 12 month old MOT and run it till it dies. I've done that before, and it's not really a nice way to get from A to B...But if you can afford to treat your self, why not??

As they say, you only live once, and who knows what might happen tomorrow...

I'd like to know where you can get a year old Premier for less than £25k as the chart suggests!

I imagine it's trying to show the impact to the owner on p/ex, rather than the forecourt price if you wanted to buy one. Obviously it's only a guide but demonstrates the pain of depreciation

I don't really think Im going to buy a new car again - become way too sensible now.

My RX has lost more than £25k in just over 3 years! On the other hand, I bought my wife's car for £24k at 2 years old and 10k miles. This was 2 months ago.

Someone paid £37k for that back in the day, if I recall correctly the list price was higher back then by about £1k

Apparently the first owner of my car paid £38K for it in December 2013.

From my post at #7 above

"Has any member on here ever done a comparison of running costs between a CT200h and the IS300h? Is there much difference?"

I have had a look at the service charges for the CT and IS on the Lexus UK website and there really doesn't seem to be that much in it.

Why not just contract hire, I pay £185.00 plus vat for a brand new exec worth about £30k, no need to worry about depreciation which I think would be way more than the £7k it costs for two years, don't need to worry about selling it, and at 18 months start looking forward to getting a new one.

Contact hire or PCP etc doesn't get you away from deprecation. If you work out how much your paying over 2 years + initial deposit it's still usually a fair amount. Your essentially paying deprecation for the hire company so that they can sell the car in 2-3 years time for a profit. The main difference compared to buying cash is you don't have to stump up the initial capital.

There is no 'cheap' way to run a brand new car every 2-3 years. Lease/PCP/Cash you cannot escape paying deprecation. Buying 12-18 months old is much more sensible....That's what we normally do, but if for the 'right' car I think it's worth paying a premium, the IS300H did for my wife, and I may/may not be tempted to do the same for a different brand :)

Just spotted on Autotrader that Lexus Stockport have a 64 plate IS300h Premier for sale at £28990.00 with 4798 miles on the clock. If you knock 5K off that figure it's a lot more than I have been offered for mine.

Dealer pricing tends to be all over the place for vehicles under 3 years old. Part of the reason is down to when that dealership purchased the vehicle, if it was several months ago the trade-in price would have been higher than it is today and the dealer will try and hold out for as long as possible before reducing their price. Stock will also play a factor, if they only have one of two used IS300h in stock they will price it higher.

Contact hire or PCP etc doesn't get you away from deprecation. If you work out how much your paying over 2 years + initial deposit it's still usually a fair amount. Your essentially paying deprecation for the hire company so that they can sell the car in 2-3 years time for a profit. The main difference compared to buying cash is you don't have to stump up the initial capital.

There is no 'cheap' way to run a brand new car every 2-3 years. Lease/PCP/Cash you cannot escape paying deprecation. Buying 12-18 months old is much more sensible....That's what we normally do, but if for the 'right' car I think it's worth paying a premium, the IS300H did for my wife, and I may/may not be tempted to do the same for a different brand :)

I agree with all of this. So will you buy the 12/18 month old 'different' brand, or pay the premium for a new one which will have 'something' better, range being the obvious one? And if you pay the premium, 18 months later a new one will arguably be much better, so will you trade in and take the hit then? As said, keeping the car for 5 years or so is the best way to ameliorate the depreciation, but on a car like the one you are considering ( Tesla in case anyone's not sure lol) the advances, and indeed alternatives, will make keeping a car for 5 years a tough ask for those like us.

If memory serves you'll be needing the extra seats in the back too!

LoL, yeah we'll be needing the rear seats for sure :)

Not sure about what I'll do with my next car yet. Need to wait and see what new features are released next 12 months. A 18-24months old fully loaded P85+ for under £50K would be very tempting...and even if depreciates by an another 20-30% in 2 years will still overall cost less than a new £65K Model S with smaller Battery??

Not really the kind of problem to loss sleep over :)

Id say its dependent on colour. Red ones would be £24-25k just so they can shift them as they have a hard time doing so.

I am fairly certain you are wrong on this. Red is one of the most popular new car colours at 13% (The most popular white is 19%) The Jag XE is most popular in Italian Racing Red very close to Lexus Mesa red.

Ed :innocent:

Currently red is the least popular colour of all the IS300h vehicles available across all the Lexus dealers, only 16 available. Silver, white and grey are all 50+. I rarely see any red IS300h but I don't think it would affect value too much. Red interior though is a different story, you may as well just throw money on the fire.

I doubt they would produce an IS300h in mesa red with Red leather interior. My Mesa Red has the Black leather. A white IS300 with red leather looks superb imho!! How do you know red leather is not liked?

In our street loads of people have Evoques. Most of them are white or Red. The amount of Red cars on the Lexus site is no indication of popularity.

You could just as easily come to the conclusion they are more popular because the sell quicker so less available!!

Ed :innocent:

• Like 1

Lexus Leicester had a Mesa Red F Sport with red interior in their showroom earlier this year. I quite liked it, I've got some photos somewhere.

It's not there now so I guess they sold it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links