Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyres Losing Traction

this IS300h is my first rear wheel drive car in 29 years and today i noticed the traction control

light coming on today on a wet road surface ,it surprised me how easy it is to get the IS's

wheels to lose traction.

how tail happy is the IS during the winter months should i be very warey about losing the back end

or is everything very predictable and safe.

Its the oem tyres, they suck. Not much grip out of them. Id say its probably worse on Luxury models as they have thinner tyres in the back for economy.

and yes, RWD has a tendency to be tail happy. In the IS, if you turn the traction control off it still intervenes but gives you enough to let the back flick round a corner.

The traction control on our IS300H is impossible to turn off....I think you have to be very lead footted to send the tail out in a proper spin.

On the plus side the chassis has a surprising amount of feedback, you can tell when your approaching the limits of grips.

Drive to the road conditions & you will be fine , Wider,lower profile tyres are not ideal for snow & ice & the Snow Mode does dampen responsiveness when engaged.

Tel

i do have the oem tyres fitted on the car,

i wasn't driving like a loon i just noticed the orange triangle flickering maybe there where some wet leaves

on the road surface i dont know,it just came as a surprise to see the light.

if you want to turn the traction controll off then with the ignition on press and hold the trc button

for about 10 seconds and you will get a warning on the dash saying traction control is off.

Rayann thinner tyres in the back for economy????what do you mean please

The Luxury and SE spec have thinner tyres in the back compared to the F-Sport and Premier.

Its to reducing rolling resistance and improve economy.

You mean thinner tyres all round then when compared to the f sports and premier in other words it's got smaller sized tyres,and not that the back are thinner than the front

You mean thinner tyres all round then when compared to the f sports and premier in other words it's got smaller sized tyres,and not that the back are thinner than the front

No, because the 18" wheel grades have the same 225 width tyres on the front as the 17" grades have all around. Only the rears are larger at 255.

No I dont mean thinner all round. Compared to F-Sport/Premier the Luxury/SE cars have thinner tyres at the back. The Front's remain the same size no matter which version you get.

The F-Sport/Premier use staggered sizes

I've always thought the traction control comes on a little too easily and too strongly. Cattle grids cause loss of power for a few seconds after you have gone over them. Never tried turning it off, but if it only reduces it I might give it a go.

When I had an RX8, you could turn fully off by holding the butting in for 3 when the ignition was on, not sure if it is the same on the lexus?

If you hold it down for a few seconds it will say traction control off but it will still be on albeit reduced.

There is a way to turn it off completely but only the Lexus engineers know that one. It has a lot of indicator pulling and pushing ive been told

That's what I thought by Rayaans seems to think differently from his write up/comments

****** me! Have you actually read any of the comments?!

No I dont mean thinner all round. Compared to F-Sport/Premier the

Luxury/SE cars have thinner tyres at the back. The Front's remain the

same size no matter which version you get.

Like I said - only F-Sport/Premier use staggered sizes with 225/40 at front and 255/35 at rear.

Luxury/SE models use the SAME size all the way around!!

you're driving me NUTS

That's what I thought by Rayaans seems to think differently from his write up/comments

****** me! Have you actually read any of the comments?!

No I dont mean thinner all round. Compared to F-Sport/Premier the

Luxury/SE cars have thinner tyres at the back. The Front's remain the

same size no matter which version you get.

Like I said - only F-Sport/Premier use staggered sizes with 225/40 at front and 255/35 at rear.

Luxury/SE models use the SAME size all the way around!!

you're driving me NUTS

[emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links