Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering a 2008 IS250 SE - need advice

Normski - thanks a mil for the all the time taken to help out - appreciated.

So, I called the dealer today. No the "big spark plug" service has not been done ......the previous owner didnt always do the "service it every 12 months thing" and instead serviced it only when the mileage has exceeded 150000km. The longest it went without a service was a 16 month stretch once.  I asked the Service Department if this is a problem and they said no, the technicians would have noted if the oil was too sludgy but there was nothing like that recorded. The car also has no additional work done, other than the normal servicing every 15000km.

I asked if there were any recalls for this model in SA, and was told that in 2010 there was a recall to change the "fuel pressure gasket" and this car was brought in for that job. Other than that, it all seems to be good with this car.

The "big spark plug service" is going to cost R6500 (about 300 GBP)....... Its a lot of money, so I gotta take this into account regarding the purchase price.

Ah that's a bummer. It is quite an expensive service that one. But at least you know for sure ... which is a good thing.

Yeah ... mine had that recall too.

Once you have the car it would be worth putting new batteries in the key fobs. There are 1 of CR1632 Lithium 3v in each fob. eBay will get them to you at sensible cost.

Great - thanks a mil - I'll pick up a set at a local Battery store in my area.

Regarding the service, hopefully it gets less expensive thereafter.

I can't believe that in a few days, I might own two of my dream cars.....

is the service book stamped by Lexus? Its a very reliable car so I don't expect you to be seeing a garage much, I only ever had to do oil changes in my car since I bought it in June 2014. 

I did replace the water pump just as a precaution, its worth keeping an eye on that too, but its not a big nor expensive job to do.

J

Once you have the car I would definitely check the caliper slide pins - if the previous owner has not had it serviced on a regular basis it may be better, just to be on the safe side, to check them yourself. Its not on any service schedule from Lexus to check them and I think initially its hard to spot if they are needing greasing until its too late and you need to replace the caliper itself.

Maybe someone can chip in to state any tell tale signs they need greasing

Hot alloys / pulling to one side along with smell of burning and also squealing can all be signs they have seized

Toffee_pie -  yes,  the  service book has been stamped by the lexus dealer for each service.  No services were skipped,  but some were done beyond 12 months,  but never beyond 15000km.

Is200Newbie - will definitely get the calipers checked out.  Thanks for the advice! 

• 2 weeks later...

One more sleep to pick up the car. Took a bit of a while as they ended up ordering a new rear blind and replacing it (The metal arms on the old one were a bit bent)

Excited and nervous about it up all the same time........

I was wondering what was going to happen .... ie yay or nay.

Pretty confident you will not regret this one little bit. For me its a step up from the IS200.

Never known not being both excited and nervous over a new car! The excitement will be justified but the nervousness unnecessary. My car is only in for a service today but I'm excited about getting it back 😊

It's exciting picking up a new car, you'll definitely enjoy it. Take your time and enjoy the day, no doubt you'll have a few more questions once you picked it up but there's a wealth of information on this forum to help you out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hey guys,

Its been an awesome weekend with the IS250. The car is probably the most refined I have ever driven and definitely the best I have owned. Its unbelievable that its 8 years old and looks and feels like it rolled off the production line yesterday. I'm impressed. The Mark Levinson audio system is out of this world. I consider myself quite fussy when it comes to audio systems, but this one takes the cake. Anything I play in it just sounds fantastic. Only gripe is that the wheels tend to collect a lot of brake dust. I'll apply some anti-static wheel wax to the rims when I detail her this weekend.

I can't seem to get the memory seat function to work......but need to read the manual to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. I tried with it in Park, in Neutral, with the engine off and with it running......Nothing doing :-( Other than that, I have picked up any issues at all.

John - long time no see. Thanks man. Yes, I am keeping the IS200 (plan on keeping her for as long as possible). You're right, I sure love these casrs in Pearl White......Planning to also fit a piano black boot spoiler on the IS250.......just need to find one I like on eBay. Other than the spoiler, the only other thing on my wishlist for now is to tint the windows. The African sun can be pretty harsh and I wouldn't want to mess up the speakers on the rear parcel shelf.

Here is a pic of the two cars......albeit a poor quality one. I'll take better pics once I have detailed the paint next weekend. 

lex.JPG

• Like 1

Hi ,glad you are pleased with your purchase ,the IS 250 really is a great car .With regards to the brake dust it depends on the pads that are fitted ,some create a lot of dust ,you can address this issue when replacement is necessary .I have found the original Lexus items are quite good in this respect if a bit more expensive .

Dave

16 hours ago, HoodRich said:

Hey guys,

Its been an awesome weekend with the IS250. The car is probably the most refined I have ever driven and definitely the best I have owned. Its unbelievable that its 8 years old and looks and feels like it rolled off the production line yesterday. I'm impressed. The Mark Levinson audio system is out of this world. I consider myself quite fussy when it comes to audio systems, but this one takes the cake. Anything I play in it just sounds fantastic. Only gripe is that the wheels tend to collect a lot of brake dust. I'll apply some anti-static wheel wax to the rims when I detail her this weekend.

I can't seem to get the memory seat function to work......but need to read the manual to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. I tried with it in Park, in Neutral, with the engine off and with it running......Nothing doing :-( Other than that, I have picked up any issues at all.

John - long time no see. Thanks man. Yes, I am keeping the IS200 (plan on keeping her for as long as possible). You're right, I sure love these casrs in Pearl White......Planning to also fit a piano black boot spoiler on the IS250.......just need to find one I like on eBay. Other than the spoiler, the only other thing on my wishlist for now is to tint the windows. The African sun can be pretty harsh and I wouldn't want to mess up the speakers on the rear parcel shelf.

Here is a pic of the two cars......albeit a poor quality one. I'll take better pics once I have detailed the paint next weekend. 

lex.JPG

Nice one!

You'll be spending a lot of time in that 250 ... its a very nice place to sit.

Well you have me thinking now, on the memory seat thing. IIRC you just turn the ignition on to the first stage (amber light). Adjust your seat and mirrors how you want and press and hold SEAT 1 until it beeps, then its set. Take the settings on the seat way out and then press SEAT 1 button and the seat should revert to how you set it as preference.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice on the memory seats. I actually managed to figure it out by consulting the owner's manual :unsure:. I'm an IT guy......we never read manuals....hehehehe 

The car has to be in Park, and the start button needs to be pressed twice without your foot on the brake. Worked like a charm. I think that was the last thing I had to test.....All electrics are working fine! (thank goodness)

Now, I need to put away some cash for the "big spark plug service" in 5/6 months time...... :angry:

I won't be using it either as nobody will drive this car but me.  Being the perfectionist I am,  it would bother me to end of days if it wasn't working!

Ooooerrr....mine has settings for me and the missus.

Unfortunately she really likes driving the 250. She even wants to demo the auto box version on her potential newer MX-5!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links