Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have a crazy idea, as some members may know i was looking as buying a 3rd get GS300 not long ago.  But i was going to be putting us in more debt to fund it and after a week of talking about it the wife found out she about losing her job and said that she would like us to be debt free (not including the house).  So my plans are all changed and i have now embraced this idea.  We have done extremely well with what we have cleared this year and this last month alone.

Anyhow my idea is this, i currently have a VW passat TDI which is financed, I owe about £2K in payments over the next 18 months and the car is worth around £3k.  Sell the car, clear the finance, use what is left to buy another car i may add a little out of my saving to get a car.  I don't want to sh*t box fiesta or anything like that.  So i had a look at some of the car i have always wanted but could afford at the time.  

One of these being a LS400 hence why i posting this here i have always had a soft spot on these cars and if they are well looked after they seem to go on for ever.  Or the other is a Mercedes E class 320CDI W210 (i almost brought one but decided to buy as new a i could afford on repayment hence the passat).  I plan to all my own servicing, repairs to cut the costs down as much as possible.

What are people opinions on buying a LS400 for less than £2k?

• Like 1

Hello Aaron,

The way you are dealing with your problems is impressive and I wish you continued success.

I have an E Class  W210 Auto Estate with 210,000 miles and which has been largely trouble free and I would certainly recommend that you look for one. It must however  be rust free and have a full service history preferably with a good Merc Indie. The 220 cdi is cheaper to run (than the 320 cdi ) and maintain and is largely bullet proof apart from occasional electrics..

Some other ideas re a reliable, quality run around (non Fiesta) are Honda Jazz and Toyota Corolla.

There are some excellent lease/hire deals at the moment with Lingcars.com and you might look at these.

Good luck.

Regards

John

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Hello Aaron,

The way you are dealing with your problems is impressive and I wish you continued success.

I have an E Class  W210 Auto Estate with 210,000 miles and which has been largely trouble free and I would certainly recommend that you look for one. It must however  be rust free and have a full service history preferably with a good Merc Indie. The 220 cdi is cheaper to run (than the 320 cdi ) and maintain and is largely bullet proof apart from occasional electrics..

Some other ideas re a reliable, quality run around (non Fiesta) are Honda Jazz and Toyota Corolla.

There are some excellent lease/hire deals at the moment with Lingcars.com and you might look at these.

Good luck.

Regards

John

Thanks John, I am glad that you don't think i am crazy...  most of the ones i have been looked at seem to be  estates E220 CDI, what is not a bad thing as i could do with the space.  I would prefer a E320CDI if i can find one.  Finding one with no or very little rust is the hard part, i remember trying to find a clean one last time.  I found one i liked with a bubble or starting to show, but apart from that it was mechanically sound, then i found my passat.  

• Like 1

why not a gen 2 GS300/430? I have seen some good looking ones with less mileage for around your budget range. LS400 is ok but boot space is smaller than Gen 2 GS300/430 and the GS will feel more 'sportier' than the LS400. 

26 minutes ago, noby76 said:

why not a gen 2 GS300/430? I have seen some good looking ones with less mileage for around your budget range. LS400 is ok but boot space is smaller than Gen 2 GS300/430 and the GS will feel more 'sportier' than the LS400. 

Yep they are on my short list as well.

Hi Aaron.  Many of us on here have had LS400s for a while, and advice about buying one has changed over the years because they're older and rarer than ever, and prices have risen for decent ones.  But it's still worth being patient and waiting for a good one to come along, because otherwise you could end up with a money pit.  If you're looking for a good Mk.IV (1998-2000), which is the latest and arguably the best version, you're looking at around £2000 these days, whereas a few years back you might get one for £1500.  For that money you could also get a cheap LS430, and there's plenty of debate on here about which is a better buy!

The other cars I'd consider at £1000-2000, although they're not as good as the LS400, are the Honda Legend and the Toyota Camry.  But prices for those seem to be rising too.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bluesman said:

Please do not put on here that either car is now up for sale as you are not a Gold member. Many thanks Mike.

I have no intentions to place a advert on here.  If i decide to go ahead and sell the car i shall place adverts else where.  I was just updating this thread, but thank you for reminding me of the rules.

Hi Aaron

Have you checked insurance costs?  The LS400 is in a very high group.  My quotes (for a second car) range from £490 to £4500!!!, based on a sub-20 year old car.  From next January I would expect it to come down once the car hits 20, and becomes a classic.

If you are doing your own work, and there are plenty of helpful people, advice and tutorials on this forum, you'll save money, and avoid the risk of mechanics tinkering with what is a very specific piece of engineering. 

I used to have a maserati (222SE), and whenever anything went wrong, there were very few people who could do anything with it.  Which, looking back, was actually a godsend.

I've just had my newly bought LS400 serviced.  Opie Oils provided me an incorrect fuel filter, which the mechanic has scratched whilst trying to fit, so thats £20 gone!  I provided the mandatory 11 litres of red (pre-mixed) coolant, and he could only empty 6 litres worth.  So I'm guessing that'll need re-doing (The colant fill tank has the instructions on it). I'm off to pick a part from toyota tomorrow, so will drop in and ask Lexus how much it will cost to do it again if it needs it.

If you know what you're doing, I'm guessing all of this stuff will be rather nicely avoided!  A couple of hours looking through past threads will make most things quite straightforward.

I'd say a £1 car will need time and bits buying for it, there is a £2.1k Mk4 on Gumtree at the minute on Merseyside, which has been reduced, which looks superb (has the Dynamic handling pack, manifesting itself with bigger wheels and more expensive tyres) I guess that could need some £ on it, but it looks nice on the photos.

I've never driven a 430 so can't comment.

7 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

Hi Aaron

Have you checked insurance costs?  The LS400 is in a very high group.  My quotes (for a second car) range from £490 to £4500!!!, based on a sub-20 year old car.  From next January I would expect it to come down once the car hits 20, and becomes a classic.

If you are doing your own work, and there are plenty of helpful people, advice and tutorials on this forum, you'll save money, and avoid the risk of mechanics tinkering with what is a very specific piece of engineering. 

I used to have a maserati (222SE), and whenever anything went wrong, there were very few people who could do anything with it.  Which, looking back, was actually a godsend.

I've just had my newly bought LS400 serviced.  Opie Oils provided me an incorrect fuel filter, which the mechanic has scratched whilst trying to fit, so thats £20 gone!  I provided the mandatory 11 litres of red (pre-mixed) coolant, and he could only empty 6 litres worth.  So I'm guessing that'll need re-doing (The colant fill tank has the instructions on it). I'm off to pick a part from toyota tomorrow, so will drop in and ask Lexus how much it will cost to do it again if it needs it.

If you know what you're doing, I'm guessing all of this stuff will be rather nicely avoided!  A couple of hours looking through past threads will make most things quite straightforward.

I'd say a £1 car will need time and bits buying for it, there is a £2.1k Mk4 on Gumtree at the minute on Merseyside, which has been reduced, which looks superb (has the Dynamic handling pack, manifesting itself with bigger wheels and more expensive tyres) I guess that could need some £ on it, but it looks nice on the photos.

Thanks a lot for the advice, don't mind spending a fe quid here and there doing jobs to the car.  It comes part of the package when buying older cars, like my old 1989 MR2 mk1, was a reliable car but i spent money on it doing those odd jobs and servicing.

5 hours ago, inflames said:

I have no intentions to place a advert on here.  If i decide to go ahead and sell the car i shall place adverts else where.  I was just updating this thread, but thank you for reminding me of the rules.

Many thanks Aaron.

Being debt free is a wonderful thing, and the feeling of freedom is well worth lowering your sights a bit.

If you have £2,000, I would be tempted to get a £2,000 car in the sense that a car has a natural/market price. Going for a Mercedes or big Lexus is maybe trading outside this zone. If they go wrong a bucket of money is needed.

I might suggest a strategy of looking for a car that will give 2/3 years good service, till your finances improve and savings accrue. I'd look at a SAAB 9-3, or Toyota Camry.

Get a low mileage one from a private buyer. Remember 'rough people and rough cars ' go together. When ringing up ask about 'the car for sale'. If he says which car.....he is a dealer. Ask if the log book, car, house, and owner are all at the same address. This is because 'normal' people buy a car, park it outside and register it at the DVLA. If he is 'selling it for his brother', walk away. That is not normal.

If you can service it, that is great. Allow £200 and do all fluids, brake pad/disk check, and a cam belt if needed. Plugs and

filters too.

Get a petrol as they are less trouble and I think diesel will soon be hunted down by the government.

Get it HPI checked for £20. Absolutely critical.

• Like 1

The choice of car for £2000 is wide open. My advice would be to go with your experience, or the experience of other people you know well. I would look for a reliable car first and that narrows down quite a few makes as far as I am concerned from my personal experience. If you go for a luxury brand, you must take the risk of the possibility of big bills, even with cars that have a full service history. I saw a Nissan Bluebird "E" reg with a low mileage for that sort of money - that car would put a smile on my face for the exclusivity. Do you go with your heart or your head? My LS 400 is a superb car but ............ I still have that worry at the back of my mind that it could cost me a packet if it goes wrong. However, imagine buying a car for say £10,000, and the gearbox / clutch / turbo / engines goes wrong? You are stuck between a rock and a hard place.Can you then afford not to repair it? If it is a cheap car then £2,000 is not the end of the world in comparison. If finances are tight, go even cheaper. The less you pay, the more likely you are just to write it off as an unfortunate experience. If the car turns out to be better than you ever imagined, the feeling of smugness is truly wonderful!  Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

.....  David, you must be talking about buying a Ls400 then :wink3:

they are usually consumately reliable, cost pennies by comparison and rarely go wrong  ......  routine maintenance is a breeze with just the usual ( for any car ) tyres and brakes and oils and filters  ...  just like any car 

isn't that why we run them ??

Malc

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

My LS 400 is a superb car but ............ I still have that worry at the back of my mind that it could cost me a packet if it goes wrong. However, imagine buying a car for say £10,000, and the gearbox / clutch / turbo / engines goes wrong? You are stuck between a rock and a hard place.Can you then afford not to repair it? If it is a cheap car then £2,000 is not the end of the world in comparison. If finances are tight, go even cheaper. The less you pay, the more likely you are just to write it off as an unfortunate experience. If the car turns out to be better than you ever imagined, the feeling of smugness is truly wonderful!  Just my thoughts.

Bangernomics explained in one.

22 hours ago, lockeyboy said:

Hi Aaron

Just a bit of info regarding the coolant amount, did your mechanic drain the block as there are drain cocks on each bank?

Just now, steve2006 said:

Just a bit of info regarding the coolant amount, did your mechanic drain the block as there are drain cocks on each bank?

would it need two trays to catch the coolant? If so, no.  When I went there was just one tray, under the offside front

2 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

would it need two trays to catch the coolant? If so, no.  When I went there was just one tray, under the offside front

That is where the radiator drain ***** is so sounds like they missed the block drains,take a look at the link below which describes the locations for the block drains.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

That is where the radiator drain ***** is so sounds like they missed the block drains,take a look at the link below which describes the locations for the block drains.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/cooling/coolant.html

thanks.  so it would be a case of starting again.

one step forward...

On 14 June 2016 at 9:49 AM, bobmc said:

There is an LS400 for sale on the forum at the moment.... 

Yes i have seen it and i might be tempted.  

I have also been looking at 2nd get GS300, i found one about a month ago, it was 98 model with 1 owner, 150k miles on the clock full lexus history had been stored in a garage, reason for sale the gentlemen had brought a brand new Lexus.  It was up for sale for under a grand, planned to go view it at the weekend, but someone brought before then.  I have also been tempted by the 1st gen RX300's?

Like i said i need to make my mind up in the next week or so?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links