Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine and Dashboard for sale

This one made me laugh just 2 pictures of the engine and dash,none of the actual car.

Brake warning light is on so needs new pads, major selling point is the complete toolkit ( but does it have the torch?).

Has another set of tyres but 2 of these need going on the car probably as those already on are worn out.

No mention of any service history but sounds like it hasn't wanted for anything apart from tyres and brake pads......maybe not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS-400-/262459443803?hash=item3d1bcd4a5b:g:ptcAAOSwa81XSxZk

Hi all

This is now mine.  After months of looking and reading this forum for guidance I made an offer last week and got it today.

3 keys, service history is ok, but there is a gap from 44 to 63k, with stamps either side from Lexus Norwich. I'll give them a call tomorrow just in case it's an oversight, but I'm working on the premise that it just wasn't done.

its certainly not been serviced yearly, but checking levels and colours it all looks ok.

everything seems to work, electrics wise, I have four spare wheels and tyres (identical but they've been finished in a metallic effect) 

cambelt changes (according to engine bay were done at 32k in 2002 and 63k in 2009, so it's likely I should look at this this year.

its due a service, I've removed the pollen filter (blueprint) which was pretty dirty, and have ordered a replacement, plus air filter from eurocarparts for collection tomorrow. That could be the limit of my capabilities, the remaining service items will be at my local garage.  

Reading 84k, would it need plugs changing, and if so, what would people advise?  The price ranges seem wide, so is it as simple as like for like?

Ive now done a tar removal, rinse, snow foam, rinse, wash, rinse, clay bar, Polish and finally a wax. There are a couple of marks, the offside door rust is probably the only need to do, interior is already very tidy but I'll give the leather a clean and protect tomorrow evening 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome Mark

....  I would say the cambelts good for 100k miles and 10 years, so maybe out to 2019 and 163k miles on the clock ( same as in the USA but some would say we are very very different in the UK and 7 years and 63k miles but I don't know why !! ). And the plugs usually for 60k miles too

Malc

just out of interest .  how much ££££££

• Like 1

Thanks Malc

£850. But I also paid £199 to get it transported to me as it was already SORN. I have a short private track at the back so I got a chance to drive it perhaps 100 yards yesterday but nothing more.

Which feels reasonable IF for whatever reason it never delivers.  My 2003 (chain driven) 2.4 Accord is my new daily driver, so this LS is due to be used for some gentle wafting.  So far, even stationery it's really something.  Both a step back in time, but the attention to detail for switches, and placement are really impressive. Even the kids were impressed by the size and comfort.

im budgeting £200 for a service, will collect the filters today, and might also look at something like chips away for some of the knocks above.  

im also impressed by the paintwork, it doesn't seem as thin or soft as I thought it would, based on experience with more modern Toyota cars.  It cleaned up nicely yesterday, just off out to look at it this morning before work. 

as of Jan next year it should become "classic" in the eyes of the insurance world also.

the gentleman who owned it had it for four years, and for the record was a really nice, friendly, helpful guy, who sold because of downsizing post retirement.  I don't think he'd had to do much to it, as I guess most on here have already known for a while!

You're mate looks happy in his new kennel!!

The pollen filter looks new, compared to some I've seen posted on here.

Plugs are quite expensive, as is a timing belt change, especially if the water pump and pulleys need doing at the same time, so I'd be inclined to run it for a bit, just to be sure it's a keeper, before splashing out.

• Like 1

Hi Michael

She seems drawn to it for some reason. its like a canine version of catnip to her. It read 24 degrees on the dash, and felt like a sauna inside but there you go...

Point noted on the cambelt,

I'm also trying to find out what it's original numberplate was, it is now P84 APG. After a chat with a very nice man at Lexus Norwich Servicing, to check on the history, the car has been removed from their system, so they can't see what has been done to it sadly.  But he mentioned on HPI checking, the VIN, the P84 numberplate was put on in 2001.

I may wait until the V5 arrives and give DVLA a call to see if they can shed any light on it.

I would have thought an hpi check would give all reg nos associated with the vehicle.

We've just lost our lab/staff cross, but he loved our LS, and used to sit upright as we set off, like he was being chauffeur driven, before settling down in supreme comfort for the rest of the journey.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. Its never easy.

On a visit to Cuba Nikita Khrushchev Presented a Turtle to Fidel Castro, Castro asked Khrushchev how long did they live for, Khrushchev answered 150 years plus, Fidel looked at him and said "typical, you just get to know a pet and then it dies on you"

• Like 2

iridium plugs are the recommended, not cheap but best to stick with them.  Every time we loose a dog we say never again, but we always do.  Our dog ( a Greyhound) rarely settles down properly, even on a very long journey, let her get on the back seat of the LS and she's completely relaxed! 

Good luck with the new toy, you'll get to love it!

• Like 1

Managed to drain the Battery so it won't start.

:wub:

based on an earlier thread I've disconnected and it's currently charging indoors. 

Should I expect anything to not work once reconnected?

its in for an mot on Thursday so subject to that outcome I may also follow earlier advice and visit my local Lexus or Toyota dealers both of who are a stones throw of each other and purchase a manufacturer one

Reconnect and give it a few minutes before starting, shouldn't be any problems except for a radio code, not sure you'll have one, I haven't in 4 LS's.  I would always have a Battery fitted at Toyota or Lexus, they don't usually charge and your hands stay clean!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lockeyboy said:

Thanks Will give it a go later.

the battery failure then Manifested itself in setting the alarm off several seconds after locking: I presume that is normal?

Battery problems are well documented when it comes to the alarm going off, and it can do other strange things to the electrical system which resolve when a new one is fitted.

• Like 1

all back on and running.

Checking with Lexus (Stoke), a replacement is £88.90 but they don't fit it for free. thinking about it, I should get 10% off that once I join as a gold member.

Checked and it's £71.04 with the discount. still no fitting, and no information re: biscuits or attractive women.

Hi Steve, not sure mine has VSC, as a MK3?  No untoward lights, but I've lost the seat movement settings (after it's MOT I'll have a look at the fuses), and tomorrow I'll get the Lexus Battery in.

I did discover however that the 9 hole alloys don't actually fit on the front, what appear to be aftermarket calipers which touch the wheel as it rotates!!!

Debating putting some SC430 wheels on, dependant on the above clearance. 

I'm beginning to think about getting a fox, a chicken and some corn, it's got to be easier than this!

........  hey, the biscuits and excellent service come as normal when you visit the Lexus / Toyota parts desk

In Canterbury the Lexus dealership doesn't provide parts/spares but just across and down the road is the Toyota dealership which does just that ....  and coffee and biscuits etc

Malc

And they wouldn't fit my Battery for free either, unlike some lucky souls on here !

But I took it to my indy to do as I wasn't happy at just disconnecting in case anything " tripped " or whatever  ....  it didn't and 5 mins later it was done .....  and free

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

Hi Steve, not sure mine has VSC, as a MK3?  No untoward lights, but I've lost the seat movement settings (after it's MOT I'll have a look at the fuses), and tomorrow I'll get the Lexus battery in.

I did discover however that the 9 hole alloys don't actually fit on the front, what appear to be aftermarket calipers which touch the wheel as it rotates!!!

Debating putting some SC430 wheels on, dependant on the above clearance. 

I'm beginning to think about getting a fox, a chicken and some corn, it's got to be easier than this!

Seat settings need resetting whenever Battery is disconnected, so that's normal.

As to the wheels, just confirms that you need to test fit before parting with any money.

Maybe somebody has fitted MKIV calipers.

• Like 1

Have you checked to see all the wheels are the same size.  Early LS's had 15" , later ones went to 16" and not sure if DSP wheels were17.  It's been said on here that later cars had bigger calipers and discs so that may be an issue with yours as to why they don't fit.

• Like 1

Hi Jim

Yes, they are all 16", but the calipers at the front are quite big (and red!), the clearance on the 9 spoke alloy just won't make it.  I guess it would with some spacers.

It's just failed it's MOT, so I'm just waiting on what can be fixed, rather than replaced, in terms of front exhaust leak, lambda sensor reading (which could be linked to the exhaust leak, and brake imbalances (which could be due to it standing for a long time)

I've giving all of the good tyres to the garage, so they can put them onto the 10spoke.

some welding, disc cleaning and pads later and it's now passed its mot.

dont have the bill yet, but my oil, filter and fuel fitlter arrived ahead of schedule from Opie so thats scheduled for Monday.

Battery is in at Lexus Stoke, collecting 5l of red coolant shortly also from them (the parts dept there are first class) 

hopefully Toyota will have the other 6l but I can't get through to parts at the minute, so will pop in as they are in the same area.

after some advice from malc I'm taking a rain check on the transmission fluid change

:yes:

3 minutes ago, lockeyboy said:

some welding, disc cleaning and pads later and it's now passed its mot.

dont have the bill yet, but my oil, filter and fuel fitlter arrived ahead of schedule from Opie so thats scheduled for Monday.

battery is in at Lexus Stoke, collecting 5l of red coolant shortly also from them (the parts dept there are first class) 

hopefully Toyota will have the other 6l but I can't get through to parts at the minute, so will pop in as they are in the same area.

after some advice from malc I'm taking a rain check on the transmission fluid change

:yes:

Be carefull you dont give the old girl a shock, all this attention can have a detrimental effect after months of just being ignored.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links