Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A few stoopid questions re. LS 430's

Taking my pension pot early in a few weeks time and will be on the look out for my mid life crisis car. Looks as if I'll be going for a 430 as there are fewer and fewer 400's around at the moment. I've only had two MK3 400's before,so know very little about 430's.

Do they all have stainless steel exhausts?.

Do they all have air suspension?.

Do they all have all the rear massaging/reclining/separate stereo system stuff?.

I know they can apparently have steering wheel 'in out' motor problems,but are there any other problems to look out for?.

Is the timing belt any cheaper/more expensive to replace than the 400?.

Is the stereo as good as the one in the 400?. (important).

Should I go for a 430 rather than the Merc CLK55 AMG I've fallen in love with!!.

Ta.

As far as I can tell they don't all have all the toys. I think you need the premium pack. They don't have stainless exhaust.

I've just bought my ls430 on Friday and I had a nice mk4 400 before that. The 430 is a nicer place to be in . More modern. The 400 is a bit more retro to me and did feel better built to be honest. 

• Like 1

I think the ones without all the toys are quite thin on the ground.

Timing belt, I'm pretty sure, is much the same as 400.

Faults to look out for, clouded windows, corrosion in doors, aforementioned steering column motors, air suspension problems, stereo systems have been mentioned often on here too, speakers I think mainly, and a real biggy, radiator corrosion, leading to coolant leaking in to the gearbox, with disastrous results.

Air con pipes corrode as well, and apparently are an awkward fix, hence why some cap them off, thus losing the rear system.

No doubt some will say that we only hear about cars with faults, but I would scrutinise any purchase very carefully, and would certainly replace the radiator as a matter of course.

• Like 1

....... and just reading more and more on here about Ls430 wheel bearings  ....  you never read of those issues on the Ls400

Malc

......  ahah, taking your pension pot, spend it wisely.  I took mine last year and didn't buy my new Ls600, nor anything else to change from the best car ever ..... my Mk3 Ls400 !

Malc

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

......  ahah, taking your pension pot, spend it wisely.  I took mine last year and didn't buy my new Ls600, nor anything else to change from the best car ever ..... my Mk3 Ls400 !

Malc

Yes,the more I read about 430's,the more I'm inclined to stay with a MK3. I thought they were going to have to bury me in my last one,but a stupid woman in a 1967 Mini put paid to that when she crashed into the back of my parked LS and wrote it off.

7 minutes ago, thatfatbloke said:

Yes,the more I read about 430's,the more I'm inclined to stay with a MK3. I thought they were going to have to bury me in my last one,but a stupid woman in a 1967 Mini put paid to that when she crashed into the back of my parked LS and wrote it off.

I remember your posts about that, real shame.

Have you seen that green MK3 with LPG, I think it's on eBay, but also on the lexus owners facebook page.

Not really looked in detail, but the pics looked very shiny.

• Like 1

If I wanted another car (and I was almost tempted for some inexplicable reason) then I would have definately bid on this Car which did not meet its reserve.  Frankly, its peanuts to pay for a Car of such quality.  Over 60 photos, so you may want to consider it and contact the seller?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400-V8-MK4-Automatic-Long-MOT-Service-History-Excellent-Condition-/322123058091

There's definitely something to be said for getting a Ser 4 and not being tempted by more 'modern' cars. I switched to a Ser 4 from a good Ser 3....because it has Traction Control, which the 3 doesn't. Having twitched the back end frighteningly once, it was a valid reason!

The 4 does seem to have been the point at which Lexus reached the 'There you are! Perfection" point, before slipping into the mainstream.

That 180K+ one looks good-and the price of a new air shocker on my neighbours Audi S10! Though I've never heard of those tyres fitted.

If only the Lex wasn't so boring to look at (ducks quickly)

26 minutes ago, Chris Skelton said:

There's definitely something to be said for getting a Ser 4 and not being tempted by more 'modern' cars. I switched to a Ser 4 from a good Ser 3....because it has Traction Control, which the 3 doesn't. Having twitched the back end frighteningly once, it was a valid reason!

The 4 does seem to have been the point at which Lexus reached the 'There you are! Perfection" point, before slipping into the mainstream.

That 180K+ one looks good-and the price of a new air shocker on my neighbours Audi S10! Though I've never heard of those tyres fitted.

If only the Lex wasn't so boring to look at (ducks quickly)

I know what you mean . I've just had a friend comment on my old man's car 

27 minutes ago, Chasdad said:

I know what you mean . I've just had a friend comment on my old man's car 

Cheeky sod.

Bet your mate wouldn't have said that to the young bloke in the Sopranos who had one.

Actually, there are a lot on youtube owned by young blokes in Japan and USA.

I'm a lost cause though, I've always loved barges, right from when I first started driving in my teens, Zodiacs, Crestas, zzzzzz, time for my nap.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

If I wanted another car (and I was almost tempted for some inexplicable reason) then I would have definately bid on this Car which did not meet its reserve.  Frankly, its peanuts to pay for a Car of such quality.  Over 60 photos, so you may want to consider it and contact the seller?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS400-V8-MK4-Automatic-Long-MOT-Service-History-Excellent-Condition-/322123058091

That's they way it should be done. Mike.

8 hours ago, mikeyv said:

I remember your posts about that, real shame.

Have you seen that green MK3 with LPG, I think it's on ebay, but also on the lexus owners facebook page.

Not really looked in detail, but the pics looked very shiny.

Didn't realise there was already a for sale thread on here for this car, and it's just been updated as sold an hour ago.

I might take some heat here by saying this but I would consider the CLK55 AMG. The exhaust sound alone is quite special!  Might as well aim for a convertible at that as well. It is a car that you can say you have had and then look for a 400 after a few years.

• Like 1

My car to look back on was probably the cream Citroen Traction Avant Commerciale '55, that I toured Northern Iberia in, in summer '84!

Travelling thru' Spanish villages, people in cafes would stand up and clap! Memories of camping by lake, being woken by passing goats with curious goatherd.......

But that's another string?   (I could ad DS23 to list!)

LS430 and CL55K AMGs are a bit different, you could buy quite a few LS430s for 1 decent CL55.

I will say that economy on a CL55... put the foot down and see the needle drop (in real time)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thatfatbloke said:

Taking my pension pot early in a few weeks time and will be on the look out for my mid life crisis car. Looks as if I'll be going for a 430 as there are fewer and fewer 400's around at the moment. I've only had two MK3 400's before,so know very little about 430's.

Do they all have stainless steel exhausts?.

Do they all have air suspension?.

Do they all have all the rear massaging/reclining/separate stereo system stuff?.

I know they can apparently have steering wheel 'in out' motor problems,but are there any other problems to look out for?.

Is the timing belt any cheaper/more expensive to replace than the 400?.

Is the stereo as good as the one in the 400?. (important).

Should I go for a 430 rather than the Merc CLK55 AMG I've fallen in love with!!.

Ta.

Hi,

I am a former LS430 owner so this is some advice based on my experiences and also what I've heard from others.

Up until late 2002 the air suspension, rear massaging/electric seats, fridge, stereo and climate controls, cooled front seats were all part of the optional premium pack which most are fitted with. It's quite hard to find one without the premium pack. From late 2002 Lexus fitted the premium pack as standard. There was a facelift some time in 2003 which added a 6 speed gearbox with tiptronic control which gave slightly improved performance and economy, rear parking camera, cornering headlights, LED brake lights, rear vanity mirrors, revised front and rear styling with exposed exhaust tailpipes. I've also heard they improved the heated/cooled seats but don't know for sure.

I think the exhaust is stainless steel or at least part stainless steel.

Here is a list of things to check for:

Air suspension: The ride should be almost magic carpet like with no noise, clunks or knocking. When you press the button on the dash the car should slowly raise by about an inch, also listen for the compressor which should be quiet.

Check steering wheel adjusts up/down and in/out, the motors are expensive to replace.

I would strongly advise changing the radiator if there isn't evidence of it having been done already, coolant getting in the gearbox is what finished my car.

Check for delamination of double glazing, cloudiness on the side windows is the give away.

Timing belt should be replaced every 100k miles, Lexus charge £295 according to their website.

I can't really comment on the sound system as the sub was blown on mine which is common. Replacement subs are expensive although some have repaired theirs with some success although I think you have to remove the back seats to get at it properly. Take a CD with plenty of bass to check it, also to check the changer works ok. I'm really pleased with the sound in my mk4 LS400 I've got since though!!! There have also been some reports of amp problems.

Check all other gadgets and electrics which there is plenty of!!!

Bonnet and boot struts can be weak but are cheap and easy to replace.

The heated and cooled seats on the 430 are very weak and barely noticeable if noticeable at all!!! They are quite a poor design.

Check rear air con and fridge works if it has the premium pack.

Gearbox oil should be red and not smell burnt.

A full or at least good service history is vital, also do an MOT history check as this can be an indication of how well looked after a car has been.

Thats everything I can think of off the top of my head other than the usual checks you would do on any used car. I know this all sounds very negative but remember not all issues affect all cars and no doubt many have no problems at all. The LS430 really is a lovely car but just buy very carefully as there is a more to go wrong than on the LS400. The good thing is that the 430 is more common than the 400 these days so you can afford to be more picky. By the way I now have a mk4 LS400 which I love. Good luck!!!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links