Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Taking NX300h from UK to Granada

Am I correct in believing just a full UK licence required, not IDL?

I note a spare wheel is required which is a bummer so I'm guessing lots get purchased and never used so does anyone have one for sale?

Has anyone done the full UK - Granada / Spain journey recently and if so any tips. I'm a fit 69 yr guy, missing the usual brain cells but plently of time so to take 3-4 days each way, then enjoy a couple of months with her indoors and trying not to loose too many brownie points.

Peter      

6 minutes ago, Peter Boden said:

I note a spare wheel is required which is a bummer so I'm guessing lots get purchased and never used so does anyone have one for sale?

Has anyone done the full UK - Granada / Spain journey recently and if so any tips. I'm a fit 69 yr guy, missing the usual brain cells but plently of time so to take 3-4 days each way, then enjoy a couple of months with her indoors and trying not to loose too many brownie points.

Peter      

I drive to Spain and have an IDP,Peter. Have done for 15 years and have a home not far from Granada.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

44 minutes ago, Peter Boden said:

Peter      

For various reasons we've not been able to get abroad for the last three years, but for the 20 or 21 years previous to that we've driven from here in Preston, Lancashire, to Poland, Czech, Hungary and others. I've only ever had a UK driving licence, not an IDL, and I've never had a spare wheel because I used to run LPG cars and the LPG tank was always located in the spare wheel well.

Of course, Brexit is now complicating things and that may have a bearing on the situation. All I can say is that up to three years ago that I know of, there was never a legal requirement for either an IDL or spare wheel but things may now have changed, I don't know, but we're going to leave it until next year before venturing abroad again.

also check your health insurance as your card will propably not be recognized check beforehand if a european card/form is needed. And ofcourse safety vests/triangle. Alco tester no longer needed to go through france. In the current covid climate it is advisable to double check rules before driving off.

I hope to go again before September! ( covid permitting of course...)

The EHIC card is still valid in the EU27 after Brexit if it is in date.  IDL not required unless you don't have the photocard licence, if paper licence then IDL is needed, insurance green card essential, (Give insurance company 3 weeks notice at least) and carry your V5. If you have the EU flag on your number plate it needs to be changed to GB or Union Flag (bad news).  I'm driving to France via the Channel Islands from Poole in late June all being well. Much depends on whether France is accepting UK visitors then now we have 3rd country status. If not we'll stop short at Guernsey and come home, but a Gite deposit is already paid for when the Tour de France is starting in Brittany which is when we are there. 

Good luck on your trip to Granada - I hope nothing gets in the way...

Phil 

• Like 1

Gosh, Green Cards, bullet prove vests and 3rd world status, maybe Skegness worth a look after all. No, its got to be driving over lemons country but can't face Ryanair again so thank you all, I'll report back assuming we make it there and back. Peter      

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Peter Boden said:

Gosh, Green Cards, bullet prove vests and 3rd world status, maybe Skegness worth a look after all. No, its got to be driving over lemons country but can't face Ryanair again so thank you all, I'll report back assuming we make it there and back. Peter      

Do not forget to get a visa. Brexit may be good, and may not. Surely buying from UK on eBay is no longer smooth.

33 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Do not forget to get a visa. Brexit may be good, and may not. Surely buying from UK on eBay is no longer smooth.

Thanks John, no visa required if entering and exiting with 90 days. Only numpsies voted for Brexit John but don't get me going on that one.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Peter Boden said:

Thanks John, no visa required if entering and exiting with 90 days. Only numpsies voted for Brexit John but don't get me going on that one.

Not at all. Learning new words here on the forum.

Do not care for politics or politicians. Churchill was right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Boden said:

Nobody is going to stop me wearing my EU baseball cap Peter - proud Remainer here, alas I fear there is no going back though.... Having to buy new number plates for my car without the blue/yellow flag on them, another unnecessary Brexit expense!  

Phil 

EU Remainer baseball cap.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 1:42 PM, Phil Catterall said:

Nobody is going to stop me wearing my EU baseball cap Peter - proud Remainer here, alas I fear there is no going back though.... Having to buy new number plates for my car without the blue/yellow flag on them, another unnecessary Brexit expense!  

Phil 

No need to replace your plates: you can get stickers from ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=uk+car+sticker&_sacat=0

We live in a democracy and we left the EU because we had a democratic vote to determine whether we would stay in or not and the result of this vote was to leave. Both sides of the argument can’t win and there is always a winner and a loser. That’s democracy for you.

• Like 4

On 2/25/2021 at 11:53 AM, Peter Boden said:

When do you plan to go Peter, which route are you planning to follow and how many days do you intend to take ?

19 hours ago, DanD said:

The plate discussion made me curious. After checking some sources I believe this sticker will do the trick:

A6AE5279-A6B3-4663-B287-B4C581B23663.png

• 4 weeks later...

This might be a bit off topic, but lately I tried to find some information about the setting of headlights when driving on the other side of the road. I couldn’t find much about this in the german manual.

Any experience sharing would be appreciated.

17 minutes ago, stephschad said:

This might be a bit off topic, but lately I tried to find some information about the setting of headlights when driving on the other side of the road. I couldn’t find much about this in the german manual.

Any experience sharing would be appreciated.

If you are in Germany then you do not need to adjust German lights beams.

If you have a right hand drive vehicle then have regards to the contents of the Owners Handbook.

Just now, royoftherovers said:

If you are in Germany then you do not need to adjust German lights beams.

If you have a right hand drive vehicle then have regards to the contents of the Owners Handbook.

Correct. However what do I need to do when driving in the UK or Ireland would be of interest to me?

3 minutes ago, stephschad said:

Correct. However what do I need to do when driving in the UK or Ireland would be of interest to me?

If driving in UK or N Ireland then obtain temporary beam deflectors from EB ay or similar, or check if there are suitable beam adjustments available within the set up of the car.

16 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

If driving in UK or N Ireland then obtain temporary beam deflectors from EB ay or similar, or check if there are suitable beam adjustments available within the set up of the car.

35A4F820-3C61-43EC-B409-AA12358974AC.thumb.jpeg.91713f13171c382909694c2c22114723.jpeg
I checked a product from „Eurolites“ lately but it states „not for LED“, so have to look on I guess.

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

In our CT the light-beam is flat so I see no reason to do anything if going to a country where people drive in the "wrong side" of the road. 

image.png.193bf32b0b6db11ddc1902cfd1168036.png

On 2/24/2021 at 7:02 PM, dutchie01 said:

Alco tester no longer needed to go through france.

Have been driving through France very many times. Never heard of the need for an alco tester. Booze is cheaper in Spain. No need here either.

Just now, Las Palmas said:

Have been driving through France very many times. Never heard of the need for an alco tester. Booze is cheaper in Spain. No need here either.

I`ve had 2 in my Merc for years in case the French Police ask to see one.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links