Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

19 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

If it was built in the 1600's I think you can still burn witches as a heat source 😃

Makes sense. As we all know, witches are made of wood…😁

• Like 1

That sketch just made my day. Nice one dutchie 👍

Can't think of owt to say about the price of fuel today.

16 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I think you can still burn witches as a heat source

Excellent notion, I'll round up a few of the local " green " do-gooders and get them to sacrifice themselves in the cause of heating my home :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They call it the "Nudge Unit". If they only nudge you, then you can't blame them for the high heating bills.

You're supposed to figure out that it's cheaper to install solar panels (about £5,000 for a 5kW installation) than to spend £30,000 on a noisy and useless heat pump.

Only David Cameron removed the subsidy for solar installations.

This is also the only benefit of owning a Battery EV over a hydrogen car, until the Battery will no longer take charge and you're left with a bill of tens of thousands for a new one or a "brick".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, flotsam said:

about £5,000 for a 5kW installation

I haven't checked out what I'm postulating below .  this is what I think I read but quite a while back :unsure:

One of the local Kent MPs Conservative is up-in-arms about Solar Panels .............they all seem to come from a Chinese source 

Malc

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:44 AM, LenT said:

I suppose it’s no surprise that statements like these make no mention of the fact that only a year or so ago, the oil industry was announcing record LOSSES.  

Simplistic statements don’t really further an understanding of the complexity of oil and gas production and the investments that these same companies are making into the development of alternative energy sources.  Nor do they acknowledge the part played in global disruptions that raise prices in ways beyond the control of the energy producers.

But in the hunt for scapegoats no stone is left unthrown!

For the sake of some balance, I thought these articles presented a more nuanced approach.  They are US-based but the USA does represent one fifth of the total World’s energy consumption so the data has a global relevance.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-oil-isnt-as-rich-as-everybody-thinks-202513503.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAHWxTbff1l4by-vS0ntBZtcz6nGgQY0iPRzt_DD6-dF2KaaeAKeKVrCVp3euyPqrjMzaNQyHmArwTnnbVOMhdXsLYkw2pM1zPRh3z6Ji7NdZNXwwTfpj81Zl_oOOwsDgBFe_RmIJtuEkL_4XqG5tWv4Fh5i8shBa6K-DlPswJrxs

https://www.convenience.org/Media/conveniencecorner/How-Much-Oil-Companies-Make-on-High-Gas-Prices

I doubt they’ll even be read by the committed conspiracist, but then why spoil a good prejudice?

According to Bloomberg, Exxon "lost money for the first time in its history during the pandemic".

3 hours ago, flotsam said:

According to Bloomberg, Exxon "lost money for the first time in its history during the pandemic".

Indeed they did lose money.  22.4 billion dollars in 2020, in fact.  But not something that ERIC has chosen to mention in his choice of headlines.  Which rather proves my point.

Indeed, had he wished to give a more balanced view, he could have also noted that ExxonMobil, BP, Shell, Total and Chevron had total losses of 76 billion dollars.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, flotsam said:

You're supposed to figure out that it's cheaper to install solar panels (about £5,000 for a 5kW installation) than to spend £30,000 on a noisy and useless heat pump.

I saw an interesting video article yesterday, a real one not a journalist’s hour on the keyboard, made by a genuine user who had a air to air HP (the most efficient) installed with four heating/ air conditioning units in the home last year, it cost in total £7500 including everything. Best thing about it was his very amusing Italian wife who wouldn’t let him get a word in edgeways, funny but very informative and TRUE.

12 hours ago, LenT said:

Indeed they did lose money.  22.4 billion dollars in 2020, in fact.  But not something that ERIC has chosen to mention in his choice of headlines.  Which rather proves my point.

Indeed, had he wished to give a more balanced view, he could have also noted that ExxonMobil, BP, Shell, Total and Chevron had total losses of 76 billion dollars.

Come come dear boy, you know very well that if I declare a 76 billion loss that's because my clever accountants have craftily fiddled the figures 🥳. Which oddly enough they don't employ such guile when they declare a profit - how very strange 🤔

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, Malc said:

so my house built in the 1600's is ok ??   NO it's not lathe and plaster and wode, well, not on the surface anyway ....... getting those pesky radiator and gas pipes all over is sometimes an issue tho'  ............  my house is  " green  "  not being replaced for 400 years .......  so I'm allowed to offset my " green house " for the wonderful V8 4 ltr transportation I've allowed myself these past 20+ years in my now " green " car....  not replacing it with summat brand new thereby depleting the planet of rare minerals and electronic gadgetry in the build process of a brand new car

I'm a good guy ??  I'm GREEN and proud to be so, driving my non EV, my V8 4ltr limo petrol wonder

Malc

When you say 1600's do you mean between 4pm and 5pm?😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

Come come dear boy, you know very well that if I declare a 76 billion loss that's because my clever accountants have craftily fiddled the figures 🥳. Which oddly enough they don't employ such guile when they declare a profit - how very strange 🤔

Drat!

Now I see my mistake, Phil.

Wrong type of accountant….  😢

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

When you say 1600's do you mean between 4pm and 5pm?

must've taken longer than that to de-mast a ship or two to get some of the timbers to build it with ........  many of the ceilings show the joists being ships rigging masts whatever the terms might be ....  doubt they'd pass the Planning Inspector these days tho' ..  no longevity I guess :wink3:

Malc

3 hours ago, Malc said:

must've taken longer than that to de-mast a ship or two to get some of the timbers to build it with ........  many of the ceilings show the joists being ships rigging masts whatever the terms might be ....  doubt they'd pass the Planning Inspector these days tho' ..  no longevity I guess :wink3:

Malc

Sounds fantastic Malc 👍

4 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Sounds fantastic

not really at all . just an old fashioned 2 bed house in a Kentish High Street backing onto the Town Quay and many houses around me Grade11 Listed but for some reason, thankfully, mine escaped that stigma ....  they weren't Listed when Nelson lived along from me I'll warrant :wink3:

Malc

Air crash investigation has a great tag line, in times of crisis question everything until the truth is found out. The problem with the world now is we take face value for everything governments and 'experts' tell us. Which is entirely the wrong way to go about business. If anyone asked the most simple question, how have governments convinced auto manufacturers worth trillions to dump the reliable combustion engine cars they have been making since the 1800s and with the manufacturing process perfected to a tee, all of a sudden for EVs?. This is where money comes in because none of what is going on is possible without money exchanging hands, billions even trillions.

The acolytes installed in governments throughout the Western world mentioned here include all the rubbish going on over the last number of years, I am not sure if acolyte is the correct phrase - I would just use mandates

https://www.longisland-ny.com/2022/07/28/you-may-think-electric-vehicles-are-bad-but-klaus-schwab-now-wants-to-take-away-your-right-to-even-own-a-car/

On 8/1/2022 at 7:55 AM, Phil xxkr said:

I look at the hard facts and they are not quite adding up - so 8.5 Billion profit in 3 months... wow, ok not too shabby what is the energy crisis can we go back driving V8s.

BP has reported its biggest quarterly profit for 14 years after oil and gas prices soared.

The energy giant saw underlying profits hit $8.45bn (£6.9bn) between April and June - more than triple the amount it made in the same period last year.

It comes as typical household energy bills have been forecast to hit more than £3,600 a year this winter

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

Air crash investigation has a great tag line, in times of crisis question everything until the truth is found out. The problem with the world now is we take face value for everything governments and 'experts' tell us. Which is entirely the wrong way to go about business. If anyone asked the most simple question, how have governments convinced auto manufacturers worth trillions to dump the reliable combustion engine cars they have been making since the 1800s and with the manufacturing process perfected to a tee, all of a sudden for EVs?. This is where money comes in because none of what is going on is possible without money exchanging hands, billions even trillions.

Except governments haven't convinced auto manufacturers to dump combustion engines (at least not hybrid ones anyway) in favour of EV's.

Just the other day Toyota have said that they'll pull out of the UK if the government bans the sales of hybrid cars from 2030.

https://www.cityam.com/toyota-to-leave-uk-if-government-bans-hybrids/

The most simple question should have been "is such a claim true", and a quick Google search suggests not.

• Like 1

The acolytes installed in governments throughout the Western world mentioned here include all the rubbish going on over the last number of years, I am not sure if acolyte is the correct phrase - I would just use mandates

https://www.longisland-ny.com/2022/07/28/you-may-think-electric-vehicles-are-bad-but-klaus-schwab-now-wants-to-take-away-your-right-to-even-own-a-car/

It seems like more scare mongering to me. The WEF, quite rightly, have pointed out that privately owned cars sit idle for 96% of the time, and so perhaps there might be better, alternative transport solutions for some/many people. They're a think tank FFS, and so it's their job to look at trends, realites, situations, and think of ways of improving them. Doesn't mean they're planning to take away everyone's cars, ignoring the fact that they have no power to do so. They make a valid (if uncomfortable) point, that's worthy of discussion.

That doesn't stop the perpetually paranoid from thinking they want to take everything away from us. Conspiracy theorists are expert at cherry picking, and taking things out of context, and so it's no surprise that they don't quote one of the WEF's actual stated aims, which is:

By 2030, ensure that all men and women, in particular the poor and the vulnerable, have equal rights to economic resources, as well as access to basic services, ownership and control over land and other forms of property, inheritance, natural resources, appropriate new technology and financial services, including microfinance.”

That doesn't sound very scary though, and almost sounds as if they're trying to look out for most people. Those evil bastards.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

Except governments haven't convinced auto manufacturers to dump combustion engines (at least not hybrid ones anyway) in favour of EV's.

Hang on a moment, thats not what we are told - 2030 and beyond combustion engines are banned - whats with people unable to suck up some hard cold facts?

Politicians are corrupt the world over, thus Governments - whats happening in the world over the last number of years is not possible without huge sums of money exchanging hands, combustion engine cars just cannot get removed from the supply chain like that uinless some remarkable things happen, of course us folks are not told these remarkable things no more are we told what happened to the thousands of macaque monkeys oxford went through with covid vaccines - but there certainly was meetings with the largest automotive company CEOs and leaders of the great western economies to dish out this future

Has anyone seen the covid thing on BBC? no me neither but this twitter feed is not surprising

My only question to them would be if the director would swear under oath about the data they were presenting to the world over 2 plus years? even the hard core EV, Climate change, net zero, carbon neutral and covid supporters know the answer to that.

"UPDATE ABOUT “UNVACCINATED” the “documentary” which I took part in - commissioned by the BBC. Absolute propaganda, as expected. The purpose of the show was not to understand why we’re not vaccinated, but to change our minds :)"

Tk8glRA.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bluemarlin said:

It seems like more scare mongering to me. The WEF, quite rightly, have pointed out that privately owned cars sit idle for 96% of the time, and so perhaps there might be better, alternative transport solutions for some/many people. They're a think tank FFS, and so it's their job to look at trends, realites, situations, and think of ways of improving them. Doesn't mean they're planning to take away everyone's cars, ignoring the fact that they have no power to do so. They make a valid (if uncomfortable) point, that's worthy of discussion.

That doesn't stop the perpetually paranoid from thinking they want to take everything away from us. Conspiracy theorists are expert at cherry picking, and taking things out of context, and so it's no surprise that they don't quote one of the WEF's actual stated aims, which is:

By 2030, ensure that all men and women, in particular the poor and the vulnerable, have equal rights to economic resources, as well as access to basic services, ownership and control over land and other forms of property, inheritance, natural resources, appropriate new technology and financial services, including microfinance.”

That doesn't sound very scary though, and almost sounds as if they're trying to look out for most people. Those evil bastards.

The evil bastards are only telling you what they want you to know - they are clever that way - like taking away people's fereedom without them even realising it needs a special cunning.

Hang on a moment, thats not what we are told - 2030 and beyond combustion engines are banned - whats with people unable to suck up some hard cold facts?

Politicians are corrupt the world over, thus Governments - whats happening in the world over the last number of years is not possible without huge sums of money exchanging hands, combustion engine cars just cannot get removed from the supply chain like that uinless some remarkable things happen, of course us folks are not told these remarkable things no more are we told what happened to the thousands of macaque monkeys oxford went through with covid vaccines - but there certainly was meetings with the largest automotive company CEOs and leaders of the great western economies to dish out this future

Yes, new combustion engines will be banned from 2030. That wasn't the point though. You stated that governments had convinced manufacturers to ditch combustion engines in favour of EV's, and I merely pointed out that they clearly haven't convinced one the largest manufacturers with regards to petrol hybrids.

That said, if it's government policy to switch from combustion engines to  EV's then of course they'd meet with the manufacturers to discuss the logistics. It would be pretty stupid not to.

The evil bastards are only telling you what they want you to know - they are clever that way - like taking away people's fereedom without them even realising it needs a special cunning.

I see. So if they say something that can be misrepresented, or taken out of context, and spun into an evil agenda, then it's gospel. But if they say something good, they're lying.

I guess then if you apply that kind of thinking to everything, then everything's a conspiracy theory 🙂

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

I guess then if you apply that kind of thinking to everything, then everything's a conspiracy theory 🙂

I seem to recall listening to a theory that the conspiracy theories about whether the 1969 moon landing really happened were started by NASA in order to put conspiracy theorists off the scent of the REAL conspiracy…😆

That’s proper tin-foil hat material! I mean, it’s entertaining, but slightly worrying that some people must actually believe it…

Not directly relevant, but this always makes me smile. As usual, excellent comedy probably reflecting reality. Has our politics REALLY changed that much since the 1980s?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links