Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Moving forums shortly…

This wasn’t supposed to happen. My NX is three and a half years old. I’m really happy with it, and it’s only done 24k miles. However, the value of my car as a trade in currently was too high to ignore. In the time I’ve owned the car - from new - it has lost only £8k in depreciation. That’s simply amazing, and I couldn't ignore the opportunity it presented.

Lexus tried to convince me to pre-order a new NX. That was when the value of my current car as a part-exchange became obvious. However, I stood firm - no need to change, I’ll keep what I have. But then…

…I asked about an RX. I’m the first to admit that previously I’ve found the RX too big. I used to live in (very) rural Wiltshire, and to access my village meant miles of very narrow single track lanes. In August I relocated to West Berkshire. Not such an issue here. I’ve also previously noted that, with my disability, the RX wasn’t as good as the NX in terms of the relationship between steering wheel, seat and pedals. However, Lexus loaned me an RX for a week to test it out. I discovered that with plenty of adjustment, I could make it work.

With the discount on the RX on offer (very, VERY, large), and the thousands of pounds of equity in my current NX, the opportunity to get a new RX for not very much was staring me in the face. Today I placed the order. In early December I’ll become the first owner of an RX Premium with Tech, Safety and Protection packs. That means it’s almost fully loaded including heads up display, panoramic roof, electric tailgate etc. The quality, the silence and the comfort won me over. I certainly don’t need the space, but then again you only live once.

Colour will be Sonic White, with black leather interior. I’ve had the combination before on Hondas and I love it. I’d have preferred the tan or beige leather interior, but that was only available on exterior colours I didn’t want and I didn’t want to wait until April/May for a factory order.

I’ve loved my time with the NX. It’s a fabulous car. However, a week with the RX - and crucially at the incredible price available - convinced me to make the change. I’ll be moving forums, but I won’t be going far. My third Lexus. I’m clearly hooked! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

This wasn’t supposed to happen. My NX is three and a half years old. I’m really happy with it, and it’s only done 24k miles. However, the value of my car as a trade in currently was too high to ignore. In the time I’ve owned the car - from new - it has lost only £8k in depreciation. That’s simply amazing, and I couldn't ignore the opportunity it presented.

Lexus tried to convince me to pre-order a new NX. That was when the value of my current car as a part-exchange became obvious. However, I stood firm - no need to change, I’ll keep what I have. But then…

…I asked about an RX. I’m the first to admit that previously I’ve found the RX too big. I used to live in (very) rural Wiltshire, and to access my village meant miles of very narrow single track lanes. In August I relocated to West Berkshire. Not such an issue here. I’ve also previously noted that, with my disability, the RX wasn’t as good as the NX in terms of the relationship between steering wheel, seat and pedals. However, Lexus loaned me an RX for a week to test it out. I discovered that with plenty of adjustment, I could make it work.

With the discount on the RX on offer (very, VERY, large), and the thousands of pounds of equity in my current NX, the opportunity to get a new RX for not very much was staring me in the face. Today I placed the order. In early December I’ll become the first owner of an RX Premium with Tech, Safety and Protection packs. That means it’s almost fully loaded including heads up display, panoramic roof, electric tailgate etc. The quality, the silence and the comfort won me over. I certainly don’t need the space, but then again you only live once.

Colour will be Sonic White, with black leather interior. I’ve had the combination before on Hondas and I love it. I’d have preferred the tan or beige leather interior, but that was only available on exterior colours I didn’t want and I didn’t want to wait until April/May for a factory order.

I’ve loved my time with the NX. It’s a fabulous car. However, a week with the RX - and crucially at the incredible price available - convinced me to make the change. I’ll be moving forums, but I won’t be going far. My third Lexus. I’m clearly hooked! 

A new RX must be the pinnacle of aspirations for many people 🥳. At a time when all seems gloom and doom a good news story is always to be welcomed. My only comment about the RX is, it's a big interior and proper cold first thing, so the winter should be interesting ❄️. I think a sheepskin seat cover maybe a must have soon 🔜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

I've pre ordered a new NX450h+ but maybe I should be looking at an RX to take advantage of the current boost in trade-in values! 🤔

• Like 1

I’ve just been offered £24k for my NX. I paid £21k for it 15 months ago in the approved used scheme. It was a very good buy at the time. Even better now! And the car has 30k miles on it now compared to 19k when I bought it. Similar cars to mine are now £27k in the approved used scheme. Probably is a good time to buy new.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I’ve just been offered £24k for my NX. I paid £21k for it 15 months ago in the approved used scheme. It was a very good buy at the time. Even better now! And the car has 30k miles on it now compared to 19k when I bought it. Similar cars to mine are now £27k in the approved used scheme. Probably is a good time to buy new.

Stating the obvious, but it’s all about the cost to change. Another Lexus dealer offered me even more (crazy!) for my NX, but with a smaller discount on a new RX. I also came across Lexus dealers advertising new RX cars that didn’t actually exist in order to get a deal with a part-ex price to, “…be confirmed when the factory order is delivered.” Be careful out there, they really want your part-ex but may not act in your best interests.

2 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

What a great story.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

they really want your part-ex but may not act in your best interests.

they're car dealers and will always act in their very own best interests for sure ...  your interests are important of course BUT clearly secondary to their own

and 

53 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Mine has heated front seats which are heavenly on a frosty morning

never used them on mine .......  not too uncommon on a 26 year young Ls400 tho' 

This is the real world of superb and early Lexus motoring :thumbsup:

Malc

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, paulrnx said:

I have a 2022 NX350h on order with a current delivery date of mid-January (not very likely I know given the current state of affairs but I can at least dream 😀) so have been checking out provisional offers on trading in my current 2018 model (with 28k miles on it). I was pleasantly surprised to receive online valuations from both Cazoo and webuyanycar of around £27k (obviously sight unseen but I doubt that they will find too much wrong with the car for that valuation to be reduced by much). Seeing that I paid £31k for it in July 2019, that means it has depreciated by only £4K in that time which I think is very good. I wish I could take advantage of those offers now but as the new NX isn't available I'll need to sit it out. I'll be interested to see what the valuations are when the time comes and also what Lexus might offer me in part-exchange.

5 hours ago, Andy B said:

I have a 2022 NX350h on order with a current delivery date of mid-January (not very likely I know given the current state of affairs but I can at least dream 😀) so have been checking out provisional offers on trading in my current 2018 model (with 28k miles on it). I was pleasantly surprised to receive online valuations from both Cazoo and webuyanycar of around £27k (obviously sight unseen but I doubt that they will find too much wrong with the car for that valuation to be reduced by much). Seeing that I paid £31k for it in July 2019, that means it has depreciated by only £4K in that time which I think is very good. I wish I could take advantage of those offers now but as the new NX isn't available I'll need to sit it out. I'll be interested to see what the valuations are when the time comes and also what Lexus might offer me in part-exchange.

Never been a better time to trade up I think. As you say, how long will it last is the big unknown. Hope it lasts for you.

When the new NX350H makes it into the approved used scheme in numbers I will likely buy one. After buying 6 brand new cars since 2004, between my wife and I, we’ve decided never to buy new again. Which is a shame because nothing beats that brand new car excitement, feeling and smell 😀

• Like 2

On 10/21/2021 at 3:38 PM, paulrnx said:

because nothing beats that brand new car excitement, feeling and smell

totally agree BUT if it's a freebie ...........  not these days eh ! .........  company car perk ................. or even one's own out of pocket purchase, it's a great feeling for a few days BUT then when it's your own and realise the general / usual,  huge depreciation that's hitting your pocket, then good secondhand purchases usually make more sense .............. 

Just my simple view as an aged and many many car purchase worn experienced motorist :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

totally agree BUT if it's a freebie ...........  not these days eh ! .........  company car perk ................. or even one's own out of pocket purchase, it's a great feeling for a few days BUT then when it's your own and realise the general / usual,  huge depreciation that's hitting your pocket, then good secondhand purchases usually make more sense .............. 

Just my simple view as an aged and many many car purchase worn experienced motorist :whistling:

Malc

Yes, agreed

5 hours ago, Malc said:

it's a great feeling for a few days BUT then when it's your own and realise the general / usual,  huge depreciation that's hitting your pocket, then good secondhand purchases usually make more sense .............

^^ As with most things, it’s just a choice - different people have different ways they want to spend their money. Personally I see expensive foreign holidays as a total waste - they do nothing for me - with the caveat that I was able to travel extensively on business in my younger days. Other people choose watches, or clothes, or a hobby of some sort. It’s their choice, nothing more.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Fascinating how people have different opinions re new/pre-owned cars yet are pretty much in unison when it comes to house purchases! 😁

^^ To be honest, I’ve always prioritised getting rid of my mortgage as soon as possible. That is entirely sensible, although how those currently in their twenties will ever manage it I don’t know what with student loans and current house prices vs salaries.

I’m just thankful I was born when I was!! 

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ To be honest, I’ve always prioritised getting rid of my mortgage as soon as possible. That is entirely sensible, although how those currently in their twenties will ever manage it I don’t know what with student loans and current house prices vs salaries.

I’m just thankful I was born when I was!! 

But as you said earlier Ed, it's all about priorities. In my twenties I had ambitions to "have it all" but knew that it would take time, hence hand me down furniture and evening DIY classes after work. But I sense that today the "yoof" aren't prepared to do that and prioritise spending in other areas. For example years ago the total spend on mobile phones exceeded that of mortgages. And who would dream of spending £200 plus on a pair of plimsolls (trainers) to last you six months when a pair of Barkers would last you 6 years plus. As I understand it a significant proportion of students will never pay back their loans and to be honest who in their right mind would want to buy a new house, they are a maintenance money pit in the making? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

To be honest, I’ve always prioritised getting rid of my mortgage as soon as possible. That is entirely sensible, although how those currently in their twenties will ever manage it I don’t know what with student loans and current house prices vs salaries.

'Twas ever so ......... in my 20's all this more or less applied .....  huge mortgage payments of £12.50 a month ......  just about impossible to service from my salary at the time ... and thus it all goes around again ......  but a £300k mortgage vs my £4,600 mortgage ..  well, it's all relative .. and I'm guessing my aged mindset won't allow me to spend £100k on a new car whatever it might be .......  irrespective of the affordability factor ............. and foreign travel, well, it's been a major wonder for me to enjoy the vistas of places anew ...............  penguins in Patagonia ......... true Pampas grasses ............  the Rockies and even what some might think to be a boring old South Africa,  veldt and the Rift ..........  please please spend one's money wherever you wanted .....  cars for some, houses for others, holidays for some ( eventually when covid allows ) OR indeed " have it all " .............. but for me, well, my aged and antique, birthday today 26 years young,  soopa doopa power busting 4ltr V8 Ls400 cannot be surpassed by a new or more modern motor ( BUT oh dear, where's that Bentley S3 I've been hankering after but just won't ever buy :whistling: ) 

Enjoy spending on whatever one wanted ....  but maybe NOT go into silly debt over it all

NOW then, what's the C02 carbon footprint of a brand new car delivered to one  I wonder, say a brand new Ls ........ does anyone know ?  is it even possible to ascertain ............. thoughts on a postcard please or maybe even a New Thread ?

Malc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Exciting times. My new RX is on the Cronus Leader, which left its final port stop in Italy before UK arrival earlier today. It’s passed through the Straits of Gibraltar, and is due to dock in Bristol on Monday 8th November. 

Fingers crossed there won’t be any unexpected delays, and I’ll get it as planned first week December.

Protection pack will need to be fitted - I assume in Portbury - prior to delivery. I’m just waiting on the confirmed delivery date before I book the paint correction and ceramic coating to be done. 

I feel like a small child does on Christmas Eve, waiting to see what Father Christmas has delivered…😃

• Like 6

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links