Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Paddle shifters

ALAW

If you have them do you use them and how often. Would there be any advantage in using them. I had them in an Audi i had, rarely used them if at all that had a DSG gearbox where the UX is a CVT. Never used them in the UX should i be using them ? would i benefit if i did.

Unlike my GSF with 8 speed auto transmission on which the manual shifting with paddle shifters has quite a number of benefits, manual shifting on my previous RX450H with CVT/hybrid was pretty pointless except for one important function: that is to downshift to use engine braking when descending steep hills. There is otherwise very little engine braking so, manual down shifts is very effective at avoiding over use of brakes - as you’ll be aware the use of engine braking on falling gradients applies to any vehicle - the only variation is with how the lower ratio is mechanically achieved (manual, vs auto vs cvt transmission) -  the increased drag imposed by the engine at higher rpm in a lower gear has the same effect regardless of transmission type. I found it particularly  useful in the likes of the Lake District and Northern Penine hills with the RX.

The above applies to the GSF, but manual shifting with its 8 auto box is also useful for initiating up or downshifts quicker than when the system does this in auto mode (more precise and convenient than kick down for example) - and also when wanting to shift manually rather than automatically (manual was pretty pointless for other than use on hills as described above).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pielight said:

Unlike my GSF with 8 speed auto transmission on which the manual shifting with paddle shifters has quite a number of benefits, manual shifting on my previous RX450H with CVT/hybrid was pretty pointless except for one important function: that is to downshift to use engine braking when descending steep hills. There is otherwise very little engine braking so, manual down shifts is very effective at avoiding over use of brakes - as you’ll be aware the use of engine braking on falling gradients applies to any vehicle - the only variation is with how the lower ratio is mechanically achieved (manual, vs auto vs cvt transmission) -  the increased drag imposed by the engine at higher rpm in a lower gear has the same effect regardless of transmission type. I found it particularly  useful in the likes of the Lake District and Northern Penine hills with the RX.

The above applies to the GSF, but manual shifting with its 8 auto box is also useful for initiating up or downshifts quicker than when the system does this in auto mode (more precise and convenient than kick down for example) - and also when wanting to shift manually rather than automatically (manual was pretty pointless for other than use on hills as described above).

An excellent analysis Paul.

Although I’d driven autos the IS250 was the first I’d actually bought.  I used the paddles a few times when I first had the car, but quickly decided that, at my age, I rather liked having someone change gears for me.  If I wanted a slightly brisker response then I would select the ‘Sport’ mode - but wouldn’t really want to be in that situation in the first place.

Getting the benefit of engine braking during downhill descents is one advantage I can see - but one that I haven’t yet had the opportunity to use.  Mind you, I’d probably want to practice using the paddles to engage/disengage auto mode first.

It would certainly be interesting to know what percentage of Lexus owners regularly use the paddles, and their demographics.  I suspect we tend towards the older end of the car ownership market and are less inclined to fantasise about the ways to ‘explore the performance envelope’ in order to shave pointless fractions of a second off a journey time.

Or is that just me?

• Like 1

I used mine a couple of weeks ago for the first time in absolutely ages.

Car had just been serviced and felt quite lively, so I gave it some welly on the way home.

Otherwise, I very rarely use them.

I use mine occasionally, whenever I want to have a bit of fun. 

Snick the transmission into S mode and the drive mode to Sport and off we go! PlayStation-like 'gear' changes, rev counter bouncing up and down ASC turned on and on high, gives the impression of realistic gear changes.

But must say a good 80% of the time the car is just left to get on with it. 

"No point in having a dog and barking yourself" :wink3:

• Like 1

I find I use them virtually every time I drive my car. One of the aspects I least like about an automatic, and especially a hybrid, is, as has already been mentioned, the lack of engine braking, so when descending any hill I find downshifting useful, avoiding the constant on/off use of the foot brake.

Additionally, when driving minor A & B roads, downshifting is a good way of balancing the car on corner entry, something I have always done with a manual box. It also keeps brake pad wear to a minimum😀.

As NemesisUK mentioned, transmission to S and drive mode to sport is always good for a bit of fun too

• Like 3

I don't have a Lexus any more but my Honda CR-V has paddles which I thought were only useful in performance cars, I was wrong, and I use them often for overtaking etc, it's so much better than using kickdown. All very different with CVT of course.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ALAW said:

If you have them do you use them and how often. Would there be any advantage in using them. I had them in an Audi i had, rarely used them if at all that had a DSG gearbox where the UX is a CVT. Never used them in the UX should i be using them ? would i benefit if i did.

+1 vote from me for engine breaking with the paddle, with the added point that I use it not only downhill but whenever I need slowing down, before I press the pedal. Engine breaking is particularly helpful at high speeds on motorways, it's a better way to control high-speed deceleration together with drag/friction (not hard breaking of course). The car remains balanced, there is no under- or over-rotation, and the engine is revved up for responsiveness.

Much less often, I use paddle shifters in S mode when I had enough of the traffic that day...

• Like 2

I was always taught "Gears to go, brakes to slow"

Much cheaper to replace pads and discs than transmission/engine components.

Also if you are driving a hybrid by using engine braking you are missing out on recovering energy by regenerative braking. Unless one presses realy hard on the brake pedal you will be using the regen system, not the friction surfaces of the pads and discs. In most hybrid models this regen brake effect is on the rear wheels, so the same as using engine braking and car stability is monitored and corrected by the VDM system.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Also if you are driving a hybrid by using engine braking you are missing out on recovering energy by regenerative braking. Unless one presses realy hard on the brake pedal you will be using the regen system, not the friction surfaces of the pads and discs. In most hybrid models this regen brake effect is on the rear wheels, so the same as using engine braking and car stability is monitored and corrected by the VDM system.

+1

23 hours ago, Pielight said:

Good post yes the downhill use ofthem makes sense. 

• Like 1

I remember before i bought the UX i watched lots of you tube vids and there was one by OSV i think it was and they mentioned using the shifters to perform regeneration. I think as previously mentioned using when going downhill would be helpful. its flat where i live but next year on trip to cornwall will give it a try especially on that A30.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

I'd think that mantra holds for the more common gearboxes with discrete gear speeds, not CVT - the former wears more from gear selection and disengage/reengage steps. But I don't know enough about transmissions. On the regen, you might have a point, but the power meter on the dash jumps into recharge territory whenever I engine break - I assumed because the engine rotates the generator when engine breaking. At higher speeds or when you need to break hard, the regen system on the IS is not powerful enough to absorb the energy anyway - or is it? I concluded that from feeling for the breaks as well as looking at the recharge meter maxing out after a rather low breaking energy level (if you want to firmly slow down at any speed above 30mph). Anyway, when I'm on the motorway I'm not thinking about harvesting a few watthours more with the breaks even if it turns out to be the case, I'm thinking car control.

• Like 1

In both my 2IS and 3IS I think I used them no more than a handful of times. In the 2IS, had they blipped the throttle on the downchange like in Alfa's, I'd have used them a lot more. Haven't tried them in the ES yet - probably won't bother to be honest. 

A point of note with a hybrid/cvt is that the more engine braking you use, the less regen, ie. the kinetic energy is wasted rather than converted to electrical energy and stored in the Battery to help move the car when it next accelerates. In other words, it's better to use regen by braking with the brake pedal, to the point where regen is insufficient to slow the vehicle and it needs to be assisted by friction braking (pads/discs). The gauge that shows regen can determine when this occurs - when the gauge shows maximum regen any further pressure on the brake pedal will introduce friction braking... that is the point to consider shifting down for engine braking which will prevent discs/pads heating up and save wear and tear of them. The longer and/or harder it is necessary to press the brake pedal the more appropriate engine braking becomes.

I hope at least some of that makes sense!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DBIZO said:

I'd think that mantra holds for the more common gearboxes with discrete gear speeds, not CVT - the former wears more from gear selection and disengage/reengage steps. But I don't know enough about transmissions. On the regen, you might have a point, but the power meter on the dash jumps into recharge territory whenever I engine break - I assumed because the engine rotates the generator when engine breaking. At higher speeds or when you need to break hard, the regen system on the IS is not powerful enough to absorb the energy anyway - or is it? I concluded that from feeling for the breaks as well as looking at the recharge meter maxing out after a rather low breaking energy level (if you want to firmly slow down at any speed above 30mph). Anyway, when I'm on the motorway I'm not thinking about harvesting a few watthours more with the breaks even if it turns out to be the case, I'm thinking car control.

This is very true.. Once regen is ar max and not slowing you sufficiently, the extra braking needed is through the brakes and pads - when the need for friction braking is prolonged is the point when engine braking becomes appropriate.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links