Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto fold door mirrors

You've missed my point Peter, I didn't cancel it because of lack of folding mirrors, I had already said that although annoying it wasn't a deal breaker, the lack of seat setting memory is. I take your point that you pays your money........ I really didn't want to be paying £480 a year tax rather than £145. 

My real issue is that I am paying  for all the gubbins that costs the money, electric seat motors, same for steering wheel adjustment, switches, relays, cabling, chips etc, why not the extra few quid to include memory buttons, it should be part of the package, it just makes no sense at all to me, spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar scenario. 

Bill D.

• Like 1

There is always going to be a model difference and a cut off point that encourages buyers to dig deeper in their pockets. It will never suit everybody but as cur666 so aptly put it you pays money, you makes your choice. To be honest why should you have folding mirrors for a cost upgrade when as it turns out unknowing to me when I bought mine I agreed to a high yearly road tax to get those extras I wanted. 
Enjoy your new car whatever it maybe and I hope saving the extra £335 road tax is never regretted.

• Thanks 1

David I see you went for the Takumi pack, I am trying to see what justifies the extra £3k for the Takumi over the Premium Pro pack, 360 degree camera and cooled seats as far as I can see, have I missed something else substantial (leaving aside the extra buttons for seat memory, must be all of a tenner for those)

Bill D.

One shouldn't confuse perceived value with cost.

By putting a high(er) price on something often configures greater perceived worth. Very often used by manufacturers to differentiate various trim levels, encouraging the purchaser to spend more, with no, or very little, extra cost to manufacture. The buyer feels he(she) has something more or better than someone who 'only' went for the lower trim...

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 10:57 AM, NemesisUK said:

Which trim level is your RC300h? My 2016 F-Sport had fold on locking mirrors

My 2019 IS300h F Sport didn't have fold on locking mirrors, but my ES300h F Sport does. Pick the bones out of that one!

• Confused 1

On 12/17/2021 at 9:47 AM, Moleman said:

He cancelled because of the extra road tax price required to include the option of memory seats! Not the mirrors. Another example of our weird road tax system.

The car costing 39K does not produce less pollution than the same car with options taking the price above 40K. 

Another example - CT registered Feb 2017 - road tax £0. CT registered April 2017 - road tax £140. Same car.

His original gripe was the lack of auto fold mirrors....then found additional reasons to cancel his order !

Thanks for your support Maurice, Peter has some sort of problem with me expressing my frustration on this site.

£40K is a great deal of money to me (reference to an earlier post, no it is not a company car) my wife and I both decided to move up to a premium class car in our old age from our Kia Niro, not that there is much wrong with it, an excellent car to be honest but we were really looking forward to joining the Lexus club, upped our budget to £40k to get what we thought fitted our needs, put aside the annoyance of no auto fold mirrors on a premium brand car and went for it. I am usually very careful when buying anything and do much research so I am a bit disapointed in myself that I did not realise that the all singing electric seats, mirrors and steering wheel adjustment did not come with a memory function, I felt this was so unlikely that I was sure it must be an error in the spec listing but Lexus sales guy checked and double checked but no luck, he got it and shared my disappointment, so decided to cancel in the end, very disappointed in having to do that but I knew that down the line with my wife and me swopping driving we would be cursing the car for having to reset the seats all the time. Stiil of the opinion that this is a strange marketing decision, or is it, maybe a crafty move to persuade people to go up to the Takumi, even so memory function on electric seats does not belong exclusively to a premium brand car let alone auto fold mirrors , my Kia has them, sensible part of the package I feel,  £40k is not a huge amount these days for a car and I don't expect it to buy Jagura or Range Rover spec but do expect it to cover very simple stuff which is old hat these days and yes I know I am aware of Lexus Quality and reliability, the main reason we went for a Lexus in the first place.

Anyway, thank you guys for your assistance, back to the drawing board, maybe one day....

Bill D.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Moleman said:

He is entitled to his opinion, just like you are! What's your point? 

It's interesting Maurice how easily we can get side tracked from the real issues in hand, namely the vagaries of car specs and the wretched levels of tax we all pay. I could add a third, that of bewildering choice in most things. And it's a serpent if you let it, making you constantly wish for the things you don't have at the expense of the things you do have. As to the other insatiable animal, the taxman forget any high-minded ideals of logic, rationale etc it's all about the money. HMRC correctly deduce if you can afford 40k for a car it's invariably a company vehicle so you must have a high-paying job and can afford to pay a swingeing amount in BiK. If a private buyer same applies, in this case an incremental 4k minimum over 10 years. 

9 minutes ago, Bill Dawes said:

Thanks for your support Maurice, Peter has some sort of problem with me expressing my frustration on this site.

£40K is a great deal of money to me (reference to an earlier post, no it is not a company car) my wife and I both decided to move up to a premium class car in our old age from our Kia Niro, not that there is much wrong with it, an excellent car to be honest but we were really looking forward to joining the Lexus club, upped our budget to £40k to get what we thought fitted our needs, put aside the annoyance of no auto fold mirrors on a premium brand car and went for it. I am usually very careful when buying anything and do much research so I am a bit disapointed in myself that I did not realise that the all singing electric seats, mirrors and steering wheel adjustment did not come with a memory function, I felt this was so unlikely that I was sure it must be an error in the spec listing but Lexus sales guy checked and double checked but no luck, he got it and shared my disappointment, so decided to cancel in the end, very disappointed in having to do that but I knew that down the line with my wife and me swopping driving we would be cursing the car for having to reset the seats all the time. Stiil of the opinion that this is a strange marketing decision, or is it, maybe a crafty move to persuade people to go up to the Takumi, even so memory function on electric seats does not belong exclusively to a premium brand car let alone auto fold mirrors , my Kia has them, sensible part of the package I feel,  £40k is not a huge amount these days for a car and I don't expect it to buy Jagura or Range Rover spec but do expect it to cover very simple stuff which is old hat these days and yes I know I am aware of Lexus Quality and reliability, the main reason we went for a Lexus in the first place.

Anyway, thank you guys for your assistance, back to the drawing board, maybe one day....

Bill D.

Have you considered a pre-owned Lexus with all the attributes? If you are of a certain age knowing you car will be good for 10/15 years may suit? 

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, Bill Dawes said:

Well guys after much Lexus site searching to say nothing of heart searching,  discussions with sales at my Lexus dealers, I have reluctantly cancelled my order so won't be joining the Lexus club after all.

It still leaves me utterly bemused at what the thinking was on the part of the Lexus marketing bods that made them think that premium brand car with a £8k package upgrade including 8 way electric seats, electric mirrors (albeit no auto fold) electric steering wheel adjustment, smart door entry, didn't deserve a couple of buttons for seat setting memory. The only pack with this on is the Takumibut that incurs a penalty on road licence fee of £335 making it £480 per year instead of £145. A heavy price to pay for a couple of buttons and a software change.

My wife and I decided we would go to one car between us earlier in the year and we have very different seat settings so I know it would drive us mad resetting everything every time we swop. My lowly Kia Niro solves this admirably with a two memory feature.

Does anyone from Kia UK read these forums does anyonyone know?

Ah well maybe one day when the marketing team have detoxed from too much Saki they will see things a bit more clearly.

Bill D.

This just goes to show that, regardless of media reviews and countless other factors, all that really matters is whether a car exactly fits the criteria of the purchaser. In this case, going down to one car with two regular drivers makes the memory seats a very desirable feature - and to have to go above the £40k road tax threshold in order to get it is quite a big price to pay!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

It's interesting Maurice how easily we can get side tracked from the real issues in hand, namely the vagaries of car specs and the wretched levels of tax we all pay. I could add a third, that of bewildering choice in most things. And it's a serpent if you let it, making you constantly wish for the things you don't have at the expense of the things you do have. As to the other insatiable animal, the taxman forget any high-minded ideals of logic, rationale etc it's all about the money. HMRC correctly deduce if you can afford 40k for a car it's invariably a company vehicle so you must have a high-paying job and can afford to pay a swingeing amount in BiK. If a private buyer same applies, in this case an incremental 4k minimum over 10 years. 

Peter, on this we agree (except the HMRC correctly deduce part), no they assume.

Phil, yes I did consider a Takumi they had there, about 18 months old at about £36k  but tax issue stiil the same and it's not just a one off but year on year, and based on original list price as far as I am aware.

One of the virtues of the UX was the 10 year rolling warranty which, as you correctly surmise, is a big attraction, this is even better than the Kia 7 year one, the other 'premium brands' still offer 3 years from a quick survey, think I might go into an Audi, Merc, BMW showroom to ask them to explain why they have such little confidence in their cars. 10 years would probably see out my motoring days if I kept it that long. Other virtues as I have said are quality as well as equipment and comfort level, some cars do not offer that in their range, looked at Toyota who do the same 10 year warranty but not the same trim options.

I am semi retired now, working as an engineering manager at a company manufacturing high speed turbo machinery so well understand quality and manufacturing costs. Having grown up in a working class background I also understand value for money and have never been easily impressed by badge snobbery. The premium car brands have a lot of competition from the mainstream, high tech production techniques means your run of the mill cars these days are very well equipped high quality machines.  I believe Lexus are are a good quality car. Grappling with how to achieve my desire to own one  so may well be back on this forum and look forward to more scintillating exchanges with Peter.

Have a good Christmas all..

Bill D.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, Bill Dawes said:

My real issue is that I am paying  for all the gubbins that costs the money, electric seat motors, same for steering wheel adjustment, switches, relays, cabling, chips etc, why not the extra few quid to include memory buttons, it should be part of the package, it just makes no sense at all to me, spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar scenario. 

At the risk of repeating an earlier post of mine, you won't have the ECUs to provide memory function, or the seat/mirror/motors with positioning feedback circuitry on top of a different wiring loom and the missing buttons. I'm not defending the lack of features, but this isn't just a software lock, you haven't paid for the necessary hardware.

• Like 3

Awe Bill...I'll miss you too.....now go buy that Kia, with all the bells and whistles.

I find happiness and contentment so very important.....that's why when I drive and look back at my gorgeous Lexus...I don't mind the extra that it costs me.

Good luck mate...Merry Christmas and a contented New Year.

Thank you Peter for your kind (barbed) wishes.

I would much rather have a Lexus with bells and whistles, within what my budget allows of course. As my current car is the Kia Niro that has to be my benchmark for comparison, I do of course expect to pay more for higher quality not just bells and whistles , that's why I was interested in the Lexus in the first place.

My annoyance was as much with myself for not checking more thoroughly before placing order, my Kia has electric drivers seat with memory function and I suppose that misled me into taking as read that a premium brand more expensive car with same electric seat would also surely have memory setting.

Interestingly I have just come across a website (a bit late in the day) that has a very comprehensive spec description with a tick chart showing features available on all models, updated October 2021, trouble is I am dammed if I can find it again, don't think it was a Lexus site but such a chart on the Lexus UX site would be useful.

So back to the drawing board, yet to decide whether to keep Kia, change to new one, go all electric (still cant't get round the range anxiety thing)  look at another make (nothing appeals so far) or persuade my 'chief accountant' to bite the bullet and go for Takumi.🤣

Bill D.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

That's a bit confusing/contradictory?

The Exterior section ticks auto folding door mirror across the range, then below says only on the Takumi?

Everything is always confusing with Lexus’ information they put out due to poor attention to detail. The first instance should state power folding, not auto. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 2:51 PM, Moleman said:

He is entitled to his opinion, just like you are! What's your point? 

There's always "one",  who tries to claim the high ground  for someone else...and tries to stifle debate.

Please show me where I have challenged "opinions"  ?

Also...what is your point asking for my point ?

When a forum member makes a contribution...it will obviously start a debate and become dissected...I for one enjoy reading all the contributions....infact I note you're not a UX owner....something neither here or there...but I would never contribute to your forum.

I'm a member of a motorcycle forum....on there we agree we find it irksome, when a non (Lexus) owner lists reasons as to why he'll not purchase the vehicle I have in my garage. In this case the actual reason seems to appear to be money....and his persuasive powers in convincing his other half.

1 hour ago, cur666 said:

There's always "one",  who tries to claim the high ground  for someone else...and tries to stifle debate.

Please show me where I have challenged "opinions"  ?

Also...what is your point asking for my point ?

When a forum member makes a contribution...it will obviously start a debate and become dissected...I for one enjoy reading all the contributions....infact I note you're not a UX owner....something neither here or there...but I would never contribute to your forum.

I'm a member of a motorcycle forum....on there we agree we find it irksome, when a non (Lexus) owner lists reasons as to why he'll not purchase the vehicle I have in my garage. In this case the actual reason seems to appear to be money....and his persuasive powers in convincing his other half.

Sorry to everyone it appears I have committed the crime of making a comment in this forum without owning a UX. Perhaps I misunderstood the Loc forum.

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links