Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bathtime for Betsy!

Mincey

Betsy is a dirty girl (stop sniggering at the back @First_Lexus) and she needs a wash. I can't have my neighbours thinking that she's an ES of ill-repute, can I? All together now "No Mincey, you can't!"

1245922103_2021-12-1210_00_39.thumb.jpg.ab968f793c30d03163ac9e42e26149f1.jpg553087694_2021-12-1210_00_44.thumb.jpg.3b4fe3d52667160a5eb4c584bd9c1f21.jpg1283002896_2021-12-1210_01_01.thumb.jpg.a556c11bb11380a613ddabf73bb57769.jpg

I'm not going to take her to The Ford for a bath, so the only alternatives are a) take her to some local illegal immigrant outfit, which is out of the question as they'll scratch her b) get the hosepipe out, which is again out of the question as it's cold, my wellingtons are too tight and I always end up soaked and frozen anyway - it's December after all, or c) try something new and different.

Option c) won the day. Someone on this fine forum (I think) suggested a water-free solution type thing from Williams F1. If it's good enough for them, I thought, I'm sure that Betsy would be happy enough. I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCRJXVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and duly ordered it. It seemed expensive, but Betsy deserves some pampering every now and then.

Having never used anything like this, I did some research on YouTube first. It looked simple. Spray it on, wipe it off, then buff to a shiny finish. Armed with my 5L bottle of squirty stuff, sprayer and microfibre cloths, off I bravely went on my mission.

As you can see from the photo below, I might have used a bit too much of the stuff. I then adjusted the spray and got on much better. But as Phil from the Human League once pointed out, I'm only human and bound to make mistakes.

2102331014_2021-12-1210_07_51.thumb.jpg.5499b218b7a31824d8f0d62de90fe429.jpg

When it came to wiping it off, I was nervous. Very nervous indeed, as I'm sure all of you are too. Would wiping the foam off along with any mud and other road debris carve canyon-deep scratches into Betsy's tender flesh? Was I going to have to get the hosepipe out after all? Curtains along the street were twitching. My neighbours wanted to know what I was up to. Could they too save themselves discomfort and hassle washing their trusty steeds like this? Or perhaps they were wondering what that idiot across the road was up to again. 

I need not have worried. After taking a deep breath, I made my first wipe. All the dirt miraculously lifted off. Any that didn't needed the lightest of touches to free it from Betsy's Azure Blue coat. My only issues, and I'm sure this was due to my exuberance in applying the stuff in the first place, was having to go round twice to catch all the drips from doors, mirrors, badges, the boot and around the headlights.

I'm sure that next time, I will not go through three microfibre cloths wiping the stuff off. However Betsy was wet when I applied it, which despite being ok in the instructions, I'm sure didn't help matters. All the cloths have now been rinsed in cold water and put in the washing machine. I'm sure I'll get into trouble for this but hey, I'm used to that.

Here's the finished result:

1979885653_2021-12-1210_40_51.thumb.jpg.876b39231b5e35428482201a403d3bef.jpg

I'm sure you will all agree that Betsy looks an extremely smart and very shiny girl now. Shinier even than when I brought her home in October. I'm just waiting for it to rain now so I can see whether the water beads up and rolls off as it's alleged to.

I've just realised that I haven't buffed up the wheels, so I'll attend to that before any of my eagle-eyed chums here point that out. I'll also put some of the tyre polish which came with my Supagard kit on to complete the job.

Verdict: I'm amazed. It's a damn sight easier than struggling with a hose pipe and then drying both the car (and myself) off afterwards. Would I recommend it? Definitely. It does seem like a scary prospect - spraying this stuff onto a filthy car and then just wiping it off. I'm going to be interested to see how it deals with bird poo and flies. An added bonus is that my hands smell really nice now. Of course my current wife will want her car treating in the same way, but she can jolly well buy her own cleaner!

• Like 12

A quick update - much disappointment was felt when I discovered that all the puff had left the can of SupaGard spray-on tyre shine. To be fair, it was 14 years old. I'd go over to Halfords and get some new stuff but I don't want to get Betsy dirty again.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Oooh! I was cringing reading that, thinking of all the scratchy swirls, but it does look good. I doubt I would have the bottle to do it though. You're a brave man! 

^^ +1 for this! I call witchcraft! No way would I be able to take that particular plunge, I’m too much of a coward…😁

It does look very good though, and you sound as though you enjoyed your dirty weekend together…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Option c) won the day. Someone on this fine forum (I think) suggested a water-free solution type thing from Williams F1. If it's good enough for them, I thought, I'm sure that Betsy would be happy enough. I found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCRJXVM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and duly ordered it. It seemed expensive, but Betsy deserves some pampering every now and then.

Quite a bit cheaper than what I use (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meguiars-G3626EU-Ultimate-Waterless-768ml/dp/B006FUT0CS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=H2L52QUJYEBT&keywords=meguiars+waterless&qid=1639310862&s=automotive&sprefix=meguiars+wa%2Cautomotive%2C159&sr=1-4). You didn't put too much, apply liberally when it's that dirty, I also use a 3 towel method, and turn frequently. Looks like you did everything spot on.

I also use the stuff after a contact wash, quick motorway jaunt to dry or leafblower if you have one, then spray less liberally and wipe, gives a nice polymer coat and prevents water spots. I haven't contact dried a car in years now.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Betsy is a dirty girl (stop sniggering at the back @First_Lexus) and she needs a wash. I can't have my neighbours thinking that she's an ES of ill-repute, can I? All together now "No Mincey, you can't!"

1245922103_2021-12-1210_00_39.thumb.jpg.ab968f793c30d03163ac9e42e26149f1.jpg553087694_2021-12-1210_00_44.thumb.jpg.3b4fe3d52667160a5eb4c584bd9c1f21.jpg1283002896_2021-12-1210_01_01.thumb.jpg.a556c11bb11380a613ddabf73bb57769.jpg

I'm not going to take her to The Ford for a bath, so the only alternatives are a) take it to some local illegal immigrant outfit, which is out of the question as they'll scratch her b) get the hosepipe out, which is again out of the question as it's cold, my wellingtons are too tight and I always end up soaked and frozen anyway - it's December after all, or c) try something new and different.

Having never used anything like this, I did some research on YouTube first. It looked simple. Spray it on, wipe it off, then buff to a shiny finish. Armed with my 5L bottle of squirty stuff, sprayer and microfibre cloths, off I bravely went on my mission.

As you can see from the photo below, I might have used a bit too much of the stuff. I then adjusted the spray and got on much better. But as Phil from the Human League once pointed out, I'm only human and bound to make mistakes.

2102331014_2021-12-1210_07_51.thumb.jpg.5499b218b7a31824d8f0d62de90fe429.jpg

When it came to wiping it off, I was nervous. Very nervous indeed, as I'm sure all of you are too. Would wiping the foam off along with any mud and other road debris carve canyon-deep scratches into Betsy's tender flesh? Was I going to have to get the hosepipe out after all? Curtains along the street were twitching. My neighbours wanted to know what I was up to. Could they too save themselves discomfort and hassle washing their trusty steeds like this? Or perhaps they were wondering what that idiot across the road was up to again. 

I need not have worried. After taking a deep breath, I made my first wipe. All the dirt miraculously lifted off. Any that didn't needed the lightest of touches to free it from Betsy's Azure Blue coat. My only issues, and I'm sure this was due to my exuberance in applying the stuff in the first place, was having to go round twice to catch all the drips from doors, mirrors, badges, the boot and around the headlights.

I'm sure that next time, I will not go through three microfibre cloths wiping the stuff off. However Betsy was wet when I applied it, which despite being ok in the instructions, I'm sure didn't help matters. All the cloths have now been rinsed in cold water and put in the washing machine. I'm sure I'll get into trouble for this but hey, I'm used to that.

Here's the finished result:

1979885653_2021-12-1210_40_51.thumb.jpg.876b39231b5e35428482201a403d3bef.jpg

I'm sure you will all agree that Betsy looks an extremely smart and very shiny girl now. Shinier even than when I brought her home in October. I'm just waiting for it to rain now so I can see whether the water beads up and rolls off as it's alleged to.

I've just realised that I haven't buffed up the wheels, so I'll attend to that before any of my eagle-eyed chums here point that out. I'll also put some of the tyre polish which came with my Supagard kit on to complete the job.

Verdict: I'm amazed. It's a damn sight easier than struggling with a hose pipe and then drying both the car (and myself) off afterwards. Would I recommend it? Definitely. It does seem like a scary prospect - spraying this stuff onto a filthy car and then just wiping it off. I'm going to be interested to see how it deals with bird poo and flies. An added bonus is that my hands smell really nice now. Of course my current wife will want her car treating in the same way, but she can jolly well buy her own cleaner!

That is brilliant.

I tried washing my car myself once and … gave up. Didn’t realise products like these exist.

At the expense of being value conscious (aka cheap) I will ask… how much of the fluid was used for this one single “sponge bath” ?

Cheers,

—E

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e-yes said:

That is brilliant.

I tried washing my car myself once and … gave up. Didn’t realise products like these exist.

At the expense of being value conscious (aka cheap) I will ask… how much of the fluid was used for this one single “sponge bath” ?

Cheers,

—E

I'll try to work that out for you! I guess weighing the bottle as it stands will give an idea. Leave it with me.... 

I believe the level was to the top of the label, so it hasn't used too much I suppose. I will be more scientific next time. Marks on the label and weights before and after!

88855080_2021-12-1212_56_28.thumb.jpg.7ae2122b8d4b4cd60fd0a5e6af7ad001.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I believe the level was to the top of the label, so it hasn't used too much I suppose. I will be more scientific next time. Marks on the label and weights before and after!

88855080_2021-12-1212_56_28.thumb.jpg.7ae2122b8d4b4cd60fd0a5e6af7ad001.jpg

So, conservatively there are at least 8 washes per bottle. And lets say the microfibre on the towels are good for four washes. Still much better than Option 1 and the guilt that comes with it (I mean… the paintwork is getting damaged 😕 )

I think I will give this a try myself and see how I get on.

Thanks for posting the details (with greatest penmanship I must say 🙂 )

Cheers,

—E

• Like 3

Note to self: it was a bad idea putting the microfibre cloths in the wash with my wife's underwear and socks, even though they had been well rinsed (the cloths). I am now quickly re-washing her stuff before she notices.

Also, don't use the washy stuff on windows. I've had to clean them with my soon to be patented white vinegar and water mix. Wallace and Gromit would be proud of the results.

Finally, this being the first time I've washed Betsy, I've realised what a big girl she is. Not quite Fourt'two thirt'nine fifty six, but I could just reach the middle of her roof without attaching my Go Go Gadget arms.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Finally, this being the first time I've washed Betsy, I've realised what a big girl she is. Not quite Fourt'two thirt'nine fifty six, but I could just reach the middle of her roof without attaching my Go Go Gadget arms.

Now look… big cars are cars too. Just accept them for what they are.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

Note to self: it was a bad idea putting the microfibre cloths in the wash with my wife's underwear and socks, even though they had been well rinsed (the cloths). I am now quickly re-washing her stuff before she notices.

Also, don't use the washy stuff on windows. I've had to clean them with my soon to be patented white vinegar and water mix. Wallace and Gromit would be proud of the results.

Unless it says on it to use on windows, it's a smeary outlook. Notably the Meguiars stuff is ok on windows, works like rainx.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peniole said:

Unless it says on it to use on windows, it's a smeary outlook. Notably the meguiars stuff is ok on windows, works like rainx.

I checked the instructions - a little late I'll admit, or was it a review? I'm not sure. Anyway, the upshot was, don't use it on the windscreen. I probably didn't buff my side windows and rear screen well enough, but they're very shiny now. 

I’m delighted for you both, James.  But you’re a braver man than I!

I shudder to think how the Detailer who spent four days on mine might react to a waterless wash.  I’ve even been warned off car washes - and they use monsoon-like quantities of the stuff.  

True, their brushes will be more aggressive than your microfibre cloths.  But even so….I can’t shrug off the feeling that it just goes against nature!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LenT said:

I’m delighted for you both, James.  But you’re a braver man than I!

I shudder to think how the Detailer who spent four days on mine might react to a waterless wash.  I’ve even been warned off car washes - and they use monsoon-like quantities of the stuff.  

True, their brushes will be more aggressive than your microfibre cloths.  But even so….I can’t shrug off the feeling that it just goes against nature!

You've got me worried now...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Ignore me, James.

It was not my intention to come between Man and Car.  You’ve clearly taken a shine to each other.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mincey said:

I wouldn't be worried, used the stuff on my last car, sold on without a scratch, hologram or swirl in sight (Polished metal metalic = darkish grey metallic). Here's what a German mechanic/shop foreman, responsible for evaluating incoming used cars to the Honda dealership, said when I sold them my nearly 4 year old 83k km civic: translated "looks like a brand new car, only give away is the mileage on the odometer". As you know Germans are, lets say pedantic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peniole said:

I wouldn't be worried, used the stuff on my last car, sold on without a scratch, hologram or swirl in sight (Polished metal metalic = darkish grey metallic). Here's what a German mechanic/shop foreman, responsible for evaluating incoming used cars to the Honda dealership, said when I sold them my nearly 4 year old 83k km civic: translated "looks like a brand new car, only give away is the mileage on the odometer". As you know Germans are, lets say pedantic.

^^ Again I say, WITCHCRAFT! Witchcraft I tell you…😆. As Scotty used to say, “You cannae change the laws of physics, Jim…” (not sure this is actually physics, never understood science tbh).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Mincey said:

I checked the instructions - a little late I'll admit, or was it a review? I'm not sure. Anyway, the upshot was, don't use it on the windscreen. I probably didn't buff my side windows and rear screen well enough, but they're very shiny now. 

I see today on amazon its £12!

• 3 weeks later...

This seems an appropriate place to post this; I’ve found that the paint on my car is significantly softer than that of my other car or the wife’s car. So much so, that bird splats will “etch” into the paint regularly.

Despite what people think, this “etching” isn’t the acids in the shizzle but is caused by the clearcoat heating up in the sun but not under the splat. I use the wife’s old hairdryer to reflow the clearcoat where the bird splat has been and after 30-45 seconds on pretty concentrated heat it completely disappears. 

(I also wouldn’t use a waterless wash but then again I wouldn’t name my car either 🤷🏻‍♂️) 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links