Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How prices have risen . . . . . . .

Yesterday WBAC raised their offer for my Lexus to just £4K less than I actually paid for it 4 years ago.

Not a bad rate of depreciation, but still not tempted!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LenT said:

Yesterday WBAC raised their offer for my Lexus to just £4K less than I actually paid for it 4 years ago.

Not a bad rate of depreciation, but still not tempted!

The only issue with all of this - just as with house prices - is if you sell, any replacement will also have risen in value…unless you were to go for something undesirable (or in house price terms, buy something either needing work or in a cheaper location). Otherwise my view tends to be that it’s all relative…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, First_Lexus said:

The only issue with all of this - just as with house prices - is if you sell, any replacement will also have risen in value…unless you were to go for something undesirable (or in house price terms, buy something either needing work or in a cheaper location). Otherwise my view tends to be that it’s all relative…

Last Saturday I sold my CR-V to WBAC, and after 10 months and 8k miles I got almost what I paid. I was thinking about replacing it with an XC60 but of course I'm in the position you mention. Then, I'm working for a very wealthy man and I mention wanting a Volvo when he says "why don't you buy mine?" So I now have his XC60 on my drive, 3 years older than the Honda (2012) but with one owner, full history and only 36k on the clock. I've got the last service invoice, I'm glad it wasn't mine at £1,750! It's a fantastic drive and I would say just about Lexus quality, certainly as good as an RX450h that I tried.  It's a D5 SE Lux Premium.  Sometimes you get lucky!

• Like 2

I paid not much more than that for an LS460SE-L with similar mileage just last week, from a dealer...

It's possibly the condition and service history on this 430 are absolutely mint, which would no doubt help the value on a car with a keen following.

Also what someone asks for a car and what they get are two different things (having recently seen some "is it 1st April?" prices on eBay for a car that I'm selling soon)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Blimey Phil you get bored very quickly !😀 - enjoy the new car.

The new volvos are nice with most options as standard

My main reason for letting the Honda go was the shocking amount of chassis rust for a 6 year old, that'll be due to it living in Scotland!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donkmeister said:

I paid not much more than that for an LS460SE-L with similar mileage just last week, from a dealer...

It's possibly the condition and service history on this 430 are absolutely mint, which would no doubt help the value on a car with a keen following.

Also what someone asks for a car and what they get are two different things (having recently seen some "is it 1st April?" prices on eBay for a car that I'm selling soon)

I was talking to a local car dealer that I know and he rightly pointed out that everyone is trying it on with used prices, right down to the cars that are only worth hundreds.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

My main reason for letting the Honda go was the shocking amount of chassis rust for a 6 year old, that'll be due to it living in Scotland!

My brother had a 6 year old accord a few years back and we noticed alot of surface rust in the engine bay and under side of bonnet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I was talking to a local car dealer that I know and he rightly pointed out that everyone is trying it on with used prices, right down to the cars that are only worth hundreds.

Can't blame them, but I'd be interested if they're not making a rod for their own back when customers expect a similarly inflated price for their trade-ins 😀 

I went to look at a fairly mundane car years ago. The dealer offered me a trade-in value straight out of Parker's, but as soon as I offered him the Parker's price for his Mondeo minus my trade-in he got shirty. Apparently price guides aren't accurate reflections of what a car is worth (at least, not when the customer is referring to one).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, donkmeister said:

Apparently price guides aren't accurate reflections of what a car is worth

as an ex car trader and retail and  wholesale seller of cars you're absolutely correct ...  never have been and never will be ........ someone has to make a profit and thereby someone makes a loss ........  unless you're dealing with esoteric financial instruments then they all convince themselves they're the one's making the profit :whistling:  ........  but there's another story to be told sometime !

Malc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, cruisermark said:

I bought my first LS430 in 2012 - 04 plate with 112k for £3500

LS.jpg

Interesting. Some members will recall I bought my LS430 from these guys 2.5 years ago for (I think) £8450. 

A lot of people thought that was way too much then but my logic was one owner, annual service from supplying dealer, total mileage 42k made it about as good as it gets.

Certainly haven't regretted it.

Jon

• Like 4

So far mine hasn't depreciated at all in 4 years.
Bought Jan 18 for £4400 with 91k miles.
4 years later at 132k miles she seems to be worth around £4k according to similar vehicles on eBay:thumbup:
Not that I'm selling!!! :laughing:

• Like 2

Here in Sweden LS400 is rare and becoming expensive. I bougth my first one in 2015. Looked also at a few LS430. 
The LS 400 and LS430 seem to have increased in value here  approaching a doubling i 6 years for cars in still descent shape and still sub 150 kmiles. 

• Like 1

Have prices risen? I think the answer must be…….yes they have. At least for LS400’s in good condition, maybe dealers and private sellers with a LS400 sense the time is right to sell. Also because of ULEZ or clean air charges in various other locations, LS cars are being sold when otherwise they wouldn’t be. This applies to other cars as well of course.

I'm probably banned from driving into London now in my 95 Ls400 ?  I understand that I am most certainly banned from entering Paris  ...  oh such joy !

BUT on values, well cost £1400 in 2011 with 123k miles ........ and now 237k miles and collected from insurers @£800 ( after buy back, excess etc ) for my Cat N write-off ......... and still running fine ...  a few blemishes and age related marks and idiosyncracies t'boot ....  and value, well £650 is fine .. so break even / a £50 uplift in value and no increase maybe .........  hahahahaha, surely worth a grand or two !

Malc

I was quite happy to only have lost £500 from paying £2.5k in 2009 to getting £2k in September last year for my 1999 DHP. Having said that, I was a bit surprised at lack of interest in my sale as it was a nice genuine car. My wife's car has increased by about £4k in value in 18 months - strange times.

Pete

I s'pose if there's someone out there willing to pay the money then that's it's true value ...............  at that moment in time 

Next week, well who knows, maybe more, maybe less ......  say £25k for the Ls600 at HedgeEnd eh !

Malc

11 minutes ago, Malc said:

I s'pose if there's someone out there willing to pay the money then that's it's true value ...............  at that moment in time 

Next week, well who knows, maybe more, maybe less ......  say £25k for the Ls600 at HedgeEnd eh !

Malc

There’s an old saying along the lines of, “…anything is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it.”

When used car prices do finally drop - which I’m sure they must - some people may catch a bit of a cold in terms of what their car is then ‘worth’ but as long as they’re still happy with their car it’s all just numbers until you come to sell - by which time other cars will also have decreased in price and we’re all back to where we started!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links