Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering an SC430 - any Advice :->

MarkHodgkinson

Rather than renew my PCP - I'm thinking to own something which I can keep and hope becomes a classic.

Seem to be plenty after 2004 (Bluetooth if I'm right) - SC's but anything in particular to watch out for bar (transaction light/ABS ring?)

Looking for 70,000 mile examples - will this be reliable do you think or will the rubber bits let me down - won't be doing massive mileage but does need to do 12,000 a year without too many heart attacks! 😆  Financial ones anyway.

Thanks guys.

1 minute ago, MarkHodgkinson said:

Rather than renew my PCP - I'm thinking to own something which I can keep and hope becomes a classic.

Seem to be plenty after 2004 (Bluetooth if I'm right) - SC's but anything in particular to watch out for bar (transaction light/ABS ring?)

Looking for 70,000 mile examples - will this be reliable do you think or will the rubber bits let me down - won't be doing massive mileage but does need to do 12,000 a year without too many heart attacks! 😆  Financial ones anyway.

Thanks guys.

Welcome Mark.

You should also apply to join Lexus World.com where almost every Member has an SC.

• Like 1

It doesn't necessarily need to be low mileage to be reliable as they are very strong but if you can find a good one that has been properly maintained, it should serve you well. The face-lift 6 speed model is worth having at the right price. Future classic? They aren't that rare yet but there does seem to be some additional recent interest in them.  

16 hours ago, Neil E said:

It doesn't necessarily need to be low mileage to be reliable as they are very strong but if you can find a good one that has been properly maintained, it should serve you well. The face-lift 6 speed model is worth having at the right price. Future classic? They aren't that rare yet but there does seem to be some additional recent interest in them.  

Thanks Neil - good advice

Welcome Mark, I bought a 2007 SC430 as a daily driver about 6 months ago.

I have always bought new well equipped cars and so it was a big change for me. I do have the use of my wifes car, a Suzuki Swace Hybrid which has proved useful in bad weather or for family travel.

It is a thirsty beast and has limited space in the back or the boot, but putting that aside it is without doubt the best car I have ever had and makes me smile every single time I get into it. They have an incredibly high specification for their age but I do miss parking sensors, rear camera and the ability to steam music from my phone. These can all be sorted if required (at a cost)

I have never regretted buying mine but my feelings are buy one with a good service history and the best condition you can find, irrespective of age or colour.

I have also found Lexus Leeds have been really helpful and would encourage you to acquaint yourself with them. 

Regards, Anthony

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

seen this ?  

Yes saw that, a fair initial assessment and seems a pretty good channel. Does need a bit of work that one, doubt there's much profit in it once completely sorted.

Following Ant's comment, there is very limited room in the back and the boot for luggage when the roof is down but with the roof on there's a fair amount of space, more than you would get in say a GS hybrid boot for example. Even with my rear seat 'delete' and the space-saver on board, it has been possible to do a 2 week Highland 2-base tour. 

• Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, Neil E said:

Yes saw that, a fair initial assessment and seems a pretty good channel. Does need a bit of work that one, doubt there's much profit in it once completely sorted.

Following Ant's comment, there is very limited room in the back and the boot for luggage when the roof is down but with the roof on there's a fair amount of space, more than you would get in say a GS hybrid boot for example. Even with my rear seat 'delete' and the space-saver on board, it has been possible to do a 2 week Highland 2-base tour. 

Rear seat delete 🤔🤔  What’s in it’s place?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Malc said:

Good Good looks an amazing price ...  for all the wrong reasons ..  at 15 years old too !  Blimey

Malc

Yes March 2007. I do chuckle at some of the words the dealers use to try to make it sound extra special. 'Top of the range' but the same spec as every other one. It looks pretty good in the pics but it's difficult to see how that price tag could possibly be justified. 

On 2/13/2022 at 11:27 AM, Lexiguy said:

Welcome Mark, I bought a 2007 SC430 as a daily driver about 6 months ago.

I have always bought new well equipped cars and so it was a big change for me. I do have the use of my wifes car, a Suzuki Swace Hybrid which has proved useful in bad weather or for family travel.

It is a thirsty beast and has limited space in the back or the boot, but putting that aside it is without doubt the best car I have ever had and makes me smile every single time I get into it. They have an incredibly high specification for their age but I do miss parking sensors, rear camera and the ability to steam music from my phone. These can all be sorted if required (at a cost)

I have never regretted buying mine but my feelings are buy one with a good service history and the best condition you can find, irrespective of age or colour.

I have also found Lexus Leeds have been really helpful and would encourage you to acquaint yourself with them. 

Regards, Anthony

Thanks Anthony - you sound very similarly minded to my position.  Quoted £2100 for audio and rear camera update - parking sensors -argh need those LOL - does the Bluetooth not stream audio then - that's bad :) - Going to be some CD purchases - back - back to the 80's!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MarkHodgkinson said:

Going to be some CD purchases - back - back to the 80's!

I'm so far advanced and ahead of the game I'm still using my tape deck .......  and it's FREE too 

Malc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MarkHodgkinson said:

Thanks Anthony - you sound very similarly minded to my position.  Quoted £2100 for audio and rear camera update - parking sensors -argh need those LOL - does the bluetooth not stream audio then - that's bad 🙂 - Going to be some CD purchases - back - back to the 80's!

Hi Mark

I am thinking that it would probably be a good idea to have a recording front camera wired in at the same time. A guy on here or another lexus forum recommended one which also flags up safety cameras which would be a good bonus.

It would also be good to fit a more sophisticated alarm system because a bonus of that would be that I have seen that it is possible to put the roof up and down with the remote.

Who is the quote from? It may be worth me considering speaking to them. 

It has been recommended to me that if I want the unit to be reliable to only use genuine cds and not to fill the autochanger.

I also recommend the latest Rod Stewart cd called Tears of Hercules, its brilliant and even my 11 year old sings along to all the tracks now!

Ant

A rear camera is a fairly easy install. A recording front cam can be fitted inside the windscreen. I don't always use it but I have one and a rear cam linked to the Alpine HU. You can link the power via the reversing light feed or via a manual switch. 

An aftermarket head unit requires an expensive adapter to integrate it with the ML amp and speakers but it's a relatively easy install now.  

For a few alternatives visit clublexus as a few owners have installed android units in the sat nav screen, there are a couple of examples on here too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark

It looks absolutely gorgeous, well done!

Perhaps we need a northern meet so it can be given a thorough once over!

We could also discuss the how and where to get all the extra features fitted.

Ant

It's a good looking car in a rare colour.

There are a few good tutorials on repairing the speaker surround. Some owners have found alternative drivers and even had success with 4 ohm oval Alpines, though the originals are 8 ohm and it's best to match them if possible.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links