Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Servicing costs

Can anyone explain why on the 60,000 mile service they charge £675, when the only difference that I can see is that they change the spark plugs, which you can buy from Lexus for £57 a set.

I've just had my 50,000 mile service (the car has only covered 24,500 miles and I doubt I will reach 30,00 by next year. Just seems so expensive, but I want to keep up with the service history. Seems mad changing spark plugs when they haven't even done half of the recommended 60,000 mile replace interval.

Sorry, just felt like having a moan...😁

27 minutes ago, 61babes said:

Can anyone explain why on the 60,000 mile service they charge £675, when the only difference that I can see is that they change the spark plugs, which you can buy from Lexus for £57 a set.

I've just had my 50,000 mile service (the car has only covered 24,500 miles and I doubt I will reach 30,00 by next year. Just seems so expensive, but I want to keep up with the service history. Seems mad changing spark plugs when they haven't even done half of the recommended 60,000 mile replace interval.

It's a quality moan Terry but what did your dealership say when you asked them? 

They didn't, just said that they have to follow the service schedule. Just seems mad in this day and age, when we are trying to stop waste and creating more rubbish. When I first started driving and looking after my own cars back in the 70's, you would change the oil every 3000 to 6000 miles due to it being mineral oil, but now with fully synthetic oil, in real terms it could be done by the mileage travelled. To be honest even doing less than a few 1000 mile a year, I'd probably still change it, but it should be good for 2 years with really low mileage.

Same for air filters and pollen filters etc, why change them just down to age, when the car hasn't travelled sufficient miles to get them dirty... Its becoming more and more of an environmental thing and I'm surprised Lexus hasn't already jumped on this, let alone other manufacturer's, but its a good source of great income for them I guess.

22 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

On modern cars often access to the spark plugs requires quite a bit of disassembly, but yes a good source of income as well.

1 hour ago, 61babes said:

They didn't, just said that they have to follow the service schedule. Just seems mad in this day and age, when we are trying to stop waste and creating more rubbish. When I first started driving and looking after my own cars back in the 70's, you would change the oil every 3000 to 6000 miles due to it being mineral oil, but now with fully synthetic oil, in real terms it could be done by the mileage travelled. To be honest even doing less than a few 1000 mile a year, I'd probably still change it, but it should be good for 2 years with really low mileage.

Same for air filters and pollen filters etc, why change them just down to age, when the car hasn't travelled sufficient miles to get them dirty... Its becoming more and more of an environmental thing and I'm surprised Lexus hasn't already jumped on this, let alone other manufacturer's, but its a good source of great income for them I guess.

If you feel so strongly about it Terry pursue it, don't just take the first fob off. Escalate your concerns to lexus UK if necessary, then lexus EMEA, then Japan. I guarantee that someone along the chain will provide the rationale you are seeking . 😎

On 2/24/2022 at 5:19 PM, 61babes said:

Plugs are changed at 60k miles only, you don't need to have them changed at 6 years to adhere to the service schedule. 

Ask your dealer to carry out a 60k service, minus the plugs - which is essentially a 20k mile service. Most dealers seem to put up a fight about this but will give in and admit it is fine - a number of RC F / GS F owners have been in the same position and got the correct outcome in the end.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone that has responded. The plugs on the NX300h are conventional, in that they are really easy to change, nothing other than the top cover and ignition coils need to be removed to gain access to the plugs. See below

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+change+spark+plugs+in+a+Lexus+NX300h&oq=how+to+change+spark+plugs+in+a+Lexus+NX300h&aqs=chrome..69i57.12233j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_U9TnYbr4Ho_zgAb257SIDg23

I think that I will contact Lexus UK to discuss this, as it would be great for all if Lexus advised their dealerships to only carryout necessary servicing. I'm not saying that an annual inspection is not necessary, I would still welcome then checking the car over and paying for that work, its just changing things that really don't need to be changed and causing more waste that needs recycling or dumping that i'd like to avoid.

30 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

Someone has to pay for the big glass showroom and the free coffee and biscuits 🙂

Would we rather it was a portakabin and by doing so reduce our individual bill by 4/6d?  🤔. Why desire a vehicle that some may say represents the current pinnacle of affordable engineering excellence then expect it's support ecosystem to be that of a Lada? The pursuit of excellence is more than a physical manifestation it's a mindset, but unfortunately too many people are suffering from delusions of mediocrity. 😎

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure you must get a cosy smug feeling when you cough up hundreds of pounds for an oil and filter change and the massaging of your ego in such a grand glass palace and such supposedly superior technicians.

In reality, they are not as skilled as you seem to think, but if you are happy to pay such inflated prices then good for you!

BTW, if they are so good, why don't they grease the brake caliper slider pins as an example or why did they tell me that a rumbling noise was a worn tyre when it was obvious, even to anyone with an ounce of experience that it was a wheel bearing?

"but unfortunately too many people are suffering from delusions of grandeur"

• Haha 1

People act like the dealerships are actually fully owned and run by the car brands themselves and not a third party who's simply trained and guided by said brand lol...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bernieeccles said:

I'm sure you must get a cosy smug feeling when you cough up hundreds of pounds for an oil and filter change and the massaging of your ego in such a grand glass palace and such supposedly superior technicians.

In reality, they are not as skilled as you seem to think, but if you are happy to pay such inflated prices then good for you!

BTW, if they are so good, why don't they grease the brake caliper slider pins as an example or why did they tell me that a rumbling noise was a worn tyre when it was obvious, even to anyone with an ounce of experience that it was a wheel bearing?

"but unfortunately too many people are suffering from delusions of grandeur"

So disappointing if you felt my comment was personally directed Bernie, I can assure you it wasn't, you will notice I specifically used the first person plural pronoun to avoid such misunderstanding. And personally, as yet, I have never found the need to resort to such base tactics. I do agree that dealerships will have failings from time to time and I am sure that if you have ever done anything making mistakes is an essential part of the learning process. And yes, I would prefer that they were not on my time, but that's life 😊

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Caspa said:

People act like the dealerships are actually fully owned and run by the car brands themselves and not a third party who's simply trained and guided by said brand lol...

They are a franchise, like many other forms of business, which repeatedly show it to be the most successful formula for running a business. And I am sure that if you looked at the training budget for the Lexus network or McDonalds for that matter you would hardly call it "simple training" 🤔

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

They are a franchise, like many other forms of business, which repeatedly show it to be the most successful formula for running a business. And I am sure that if you looked at the training budget for the Lexus network or McDonalds for that matter you would hardly call it "simple training" 🤔 

I said they are simply trained and guided by the brand, not that the training is simple so please don't quote me incorrectly. 🤦

The point being made is that there is not a world of difference between main dealer networks and independents. I'm pretty confident that many independent technicians have worked for a main dealer previously and so have received said training.

I've had an older car serviced privately by a mate who worked for the main dealer, and so no delusions of mediocrity as the work was exactly the same but at a fraction of the cost.

I get my car's serviced at a main dealer simply to keep the full service history as it's of benefit to me when I sell, but that benefit diminishes over time and at some point the additional cost is no longer worth it (aforementioned car was over 10 years old).

• Like 1

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a war of words.

I was just trying to say that all car companies need to think a bit 'Greener' and perhaps reduce the amount of rubbish and materials for recycling, when in reality, many of these service items are still serviceable and therefore unnecessarily changed.

23 hours ago, Caspa said:

I said they are simply trained and guided by the brand, not that the training is simple so please don't quote me incorrectly. 🤦

The point being made is that there is not a world of difference between main dealer networks and independents. I'm pretty confident that many independent technicians have worked for a main dealer previously and so have received said training.

I've had an older car serviced privately by a mate who worked for the main dealer, and so no delusions of mediocrity as the work was exactly the same but at a fraction of the cost.

I get my car's serviced at a main dealer simply to keep the full service history as it's of benefit to me when I sell, but that benefit diminishes over time and at some point the additional cost is no longer worth it (aforementioned car was over 10 years old).

May I gently ask you when you write "simply trained" perhaps it could be couched in more precise language thereby avoiding any unintentional doubt.  Your comments about independents and your friend are interesting, so as I understand it your friend was trained over considerable time no doubt and cost yet none to himself! He then leaves to set up on his own, well done 👍, that takes courage, I know. But is it no wonder his day rates are cheaper? I hear similar things in relation to NHS doctors, having spent £250k training them should they be allowed to leave, no doubt you have also ? 

9 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

May I gently ask you when you write "simply trained" perhaps it could be couched in more precise language thereby avoiding any unintentional doubt.  Your comments about independents and your friend are interesting, so as I understand it your friend was trained over considerable time no doubt and cost yet none to himself! He then leaves to set up on his own, well done 👍, that takes courage, I know. But is it no wonder his day rates are cheaper? I hear similar things in relation to NHS doctors, having spent £250k training them should they be allowed to leave, no doubt you have also ? 

Sorry dude, but the error is on you so I'll post how I like and correct where necessary. You're own precise language was misinterpreted by the OP so it doesn't make a difference anyway. 

My mate was actually working for the dealership whilst doing stuff in his own time, so best of both worlds I guess. I understand why his rates were lower but the point is that the service was identical and so I literally wasn't paying for the tea and biscuits! 😁

I work in a professional services industry and so also have an hourly charge out rate that can differ depending on the firm name on the door, but does the work etc differ? Possibly, but not necessarily. 

Most companies have some sort of tie in when it comes to professional training, and when it lapses they're responsible for providing the environment that retains quality staff. 

The NHS example is different as it's public money being used, and as a tax payer I'd want the tie in to be much longer that what you'd find in the private sector. 

Slightly off topic, but just the rambling of an old fart. I was simply trained years ago on a five year apprenticeship working in a Ford dealership. After completing my time I went on to Rover, Jag, BMW, Grass Machinery and then onto HGV. You just need to look at the huge changes in vehicle technology to see that it’s a constant learning process. For the first year as an apprentice I was on the princely sum of Two Pounds Sixteen Shillings and Tuppence per week.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

Slightly off topic, but just the rambling of an old fart. I was simply trained years ago on a five year apprenticeship working in a Ford dealership. After completing my time I went on to Rover, Jag, BMW, Grass Machinery and then onto HGV. You just need to look at the huge changes in vehicle technology to see that it’s a constant learning process. For the first year as an apprentice I was on the princely sum of Two Pounds Sixteen Shillings and Tuppence per week.

Not a bad rate Collin for making tea and being a Gopher in your first year ?🤣

Seriously, you and most of my peers who became Tradesmen after joining Vauxhalls or Shell in the Sixties are sadly a dying breed with skills and experiences which are not available to employees and have not been for at least 25 to 30 years. Many of you took early retirement or became self employed in what were rewarding and successful businesses.👍👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C Mclean said:

Four pounds 15 shillings and thruppence 😎. And after stoppages, two pounds for my board! 

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Not a bad rate Collin for making tea and being a Gopher in your first year ?🤣

Seriously, you and most of my peers who became Tradesmen after joining Vauxhalls or Shell in the Sixties are sadly a dying breed with skills and experiences which are not available to employees and have not been for at least 25 to 30 years. Many of you took early retirement or became self employed in what were rewarding and successful businesses.👍👍👍

Your correct, first hour and a half was road testing a brush round the workshop. All that stuff over my first twenty years gave me enough experience and confidence to get taken on by the United Nations Dept of Peacekeeping Operations. 22 years later it was retirement time and lots of memories about the people I met and dozens of countries I worked in.

18 minutes ago, C Mclean said:

Your correct, first hour and a half was road testing a brush round the workshop. All that stuff over my first twenty years gave me enough experience and confidence to get taken on by the United Nations Dept of Peacekeeping Operations. 22 years later it was retirement time and lots of memories about the people I met and dozens of countries I worked in.

Good stuff Colin. We have lived through some technologically really exciting times.👍

1 hour ago, C Mclean said:

Yes but what about the "long weight, striped paint, sky hooks, 😂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links