Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does one need to emphasise the importance of wearing a seat belt ?

Don't try to bring your lunch home like this!!

I bought a BMW for spares where the front had been stoved in by driver hitting a deer but seat belt/air bags did their job and driver survived but highly dependent on drivers speed.

Am reminded of when as a young motor cyclist a pony or may have been a horse galloped out of the bush towards me. I didn't know what to do for best to slow and hit it or accelerate and hope I passed it before hitting it.  I instantaneously decided to do the latter but would still have struck it had it not slowed and reared up very quickly just before impact.  I stopped and badly shaken smoked a cigarette before I was able to get back on the bike and continue.

• Like 1

Never mind Northern Latitudes, saw a deer run out onto the M40 not far from the M25 junction a few months ago. Luckily traffic in the inner lanes was moving slowly and it quickly ran back off the road.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

Never mind Northern Latitudes, saw a deer run out onto the M40 not far from the M25 junction a few months ago. Luckily traffic in the inner lanes was moving slowly and it quickly ran back off the road.

I`ve seen it in Scotland and up close they are frightening.

10 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Don't try to bring your lunch home like this!!

I bought a BMW for spares where the front had been stoved in by driver hitting a deer but seat belt/air bags did their job and driver survived but highly dependent on drivers speed.

Am reminded of when as a young motor cyclist a pony or may have been a horse galloped out of the bush towards me. I didn't know what to do for best to slow and hit it or accelerate and hope I passed it before hitting it.  I instantaneously decided to do the latter but would still have struck it had it not slowed and reared up very quickly just before impact.  I stopped and badly shaken smoked a cigarette before I was able to get back on the bike and continue.

Good fortune Barry ?

12 hours ago, DavidCM said:

Did the original Mercedes A class gain notoriety for falling over on failing to "avoid the  elk" test

As did the Smart car, hence the wide rear tyres although the A Class was modified by a different stability software.

13 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Weak roof. opened it up like a tin opener. A Volvo has a moose test.

James.

Structural rigidity and Volvo. I was envolved in a big accident some 3 yrs ago driving a Volvo XC40. I was the last car in a 50km/h trafficjam on the highway and was hit by a Ford Mondeo with 120kmh, the driver did not spot the slow traffic. My car was launched in the air and during flight toppled over landed on its roof with a huge bang and skidded another 200 mtrs to standstill. All airbags out and total chaos on the highway. This was rush hour and it blocked the highway for over an hour. Anyway laying on its roof i opened the door and walked away. Not a scratch. When the car was on its wheels again i looked at it and the roof was not pushed in one mm. all doors opened like in the showroom, all windows intact. In the weeks following i did a lot of research why the car survived this shunt and it is no coincidence. Volvo uses different grades of super strength steel in critical places that other manufacturers find too expensive and so on. If the moose did hit a Volvo the result would be different for sure. FunnyFact, when Volvo was designing their first SUV, the XC90 mainly targetted at the US market they analyised typical SUV accidents in the states and the first thing they found was that after driving for miles and miles on a straight road the first corner arrives, the driver misjudges the speed goes in too fast and the SUV rolls over. Thats when they decided the roof is just as important as the crash zones!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Good fortune Barry ?

Yes John,

Had a few close shaves, not all in vehicles but it's one reason why I prefer to have a larger heavy built car.  As you grow older I think you become increasingly more conscious of the need for care and safety measures.  I realize I got away with things I would no longer wish to do even on tracks but am still aware that others (or animals) can put one in dangerous situations, so wearing a seat belt is a no brainer on balance, in mitigating risk of serious injury. 

5 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Yes John,

Had a few close shaves, not all in vehicles but it's one reason why I prefer to have a larger heavy built car.  As you grow older I think you become increasingly more conscious of the need for care and safety measures.  I realize I got away with things I would no longer wish to do even on tracks but am still aware that others (or animals) can put one in dangerous situations, so wearing a seat belt is a no brainer on balance, in mitigating risk of serious injury. 

I agree totally.

6 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Structural rigidity and Volvo. I was envolved in a big accident some 3 yrs ago driving a Volvo XC40. I was the last car in a 50km/h trafficjam on the highway and was hit by a Ford Mondeo with 120kmh, the driver did not spot the slow traffic. My car was launched in the air and during flight toppled over landed on its roof with a huge bang and skidded another 200 mtrs to standstill. All airbags out and total chaos on the highway. This was rush hour and it blocked the highway for over an hour. Anyway laying on its roof i opened the door and walked away. Not a scratch. When the car was on its wheels again i looked at it and the roof was not pushed in one mm. all doors opened like in the showroom, all windows intact. In the weeks following i did a lot of research why the car survived this shunt and it is no coincidence. Volvo uses different grades of super strength steel in critical places that other manufacturers find too expensive and so on. If the moose did hit a Volvo the result would be different for sure. FunnyFact, when Volvo was designing their first SUV, the XC90 mainly targetted at the US market they analyised typical SUV accidents in the states and the first thing they found was that after driving for miles and miles on a straight road the first corner arrives, the driver misjudges the speed goes in too fast and the SUV rolls over. Thats when they decided the roof is just as important as the crash zones!

Glad you were in a Volvo. Yes, exceptionally strong and not just built to pass Euro NCAP Tests. Their safety centre is amazing and their research into accidents is very good. XC90 no one has died in one. As you say, different grades of steel in critical areas. Relatives have a XC60 and V90 and likes Volvo. I like Volvo too but only had a 340, 240, 740 and currently have a 1996 940. The older models were safe in their day but Volvo safety and other manufacturers have moved on massively in the last 30 years. Couldn't afford a newer Volvo and went Toyota for reliability. Like my 940 for reliability and ease of maintenance. 

James.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Gosh Bernard, we are indeed fortunate to have you with us.

What made you leave Volvo, then ?

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Gosh Bernard, we are indeed fortunate to have you with us.

What made you leave Volvo, then ?

I didnt, currently driving a V60 T5 and waiting for a new XC60 T6 plugin. 350hp and 650 Nm will do the job i guess, will arrive in 4 weeks. I had to place an order back in November when the Lexus NX was not available yet. I would still prefer a Lexus but could not find a model good enough to order. I took several models for a testdrive but really the Volvo drives circles around them all. So Volvo it is...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JamesIS220 said:

Glad you were in a Volvo. Yes, exceptionally strong and not just built to pass Euro NCAP Tests. Their safety centre is amazing and their research into accidents is very good. XC90 no one has died in one. As you say, different grades of steel in critical areas. Relatives have a XC60 and V90 and likes Volvo. I like Volvo too but only had a 340, 240, 740 and currently have a 1996 940. The older models were safe in their day but Volvo safety and other manufacturers have moved on massively in the last 30 years. Couldn't afford a newer Volvo and went Toyota for reliability. Like my 940 for reliability and ease of maintenance. 

James.

Driving my XC60 last week I let a van driver out of a garage, after just 50yards he braked suddenly and turned left. My dash lit up with a red light and alarm warning me of an imminent collision if I didn't brake, amazing technology for a ten year old car!

• Like 2

That reminds me of the time I came across a Stag (the animal kind, not an old Triumph) late at night. This wouldn't normally be a problem but he was standing in the middle of the road through Thetford Forest and I was heading towards him at 60mph. Luckily we both had a bit of sense - I pushed the brake pedal into the floor mat and he decided to saunter off to scare the living daylights out of someone another day. 

• Like 2

In me youthful days I had a brand new ( 1969 ) Hillman Imp and driving to the g/fs one night along country lanes a deer sprang over the hedge, hit me side on ..  door ..........  carried on jumping .........  over the car and across the lane and over the other hedge ........ 

I had to pop to the local pub for a stiff whisky to calm me ..  then onwards .......... guess the deer was ok as he had vanished from view 

........door bashed in but guy I was working with weekends at a petrol station ........  yes in those days attendants served fuel .... was a car bodywork guy and he sorted it one weekend for me for a tenner ..........  lot of £££ in those days :unsure:

Less traumatic was when I was holidaying thru South Africa in a Toyota Corolla hire car ...  jeez, 40 years ago maybe ... and just turning into the Rorkes Drift dirt track came across a steer happily fast asleep in the centre of the road ........  he didn't move ...  I gently nudged around him ........  anyone else been there ?

Malc

9 minutes ago, Malc said:

In me youthful days I had a brand new ( 1969 ) Hillman Imp and driving to the g/fs one night along country lanes a deer sprang over the hedge, hit me side on ..  door ..........  carried on jumping .........  over the car and across the lane and over the other hedge ........ 

I had to pop to the local pub for a stiff whisky to calm me ..  then onwards .......... guess the deer was ok as he had vanished from view 

........door bashed in but guy I was working with weekends at a petrol station ........  yes in those days attendants served fuel .... was a car bodywork guy and he sorted it one weekend for me for a tenner ..........  lot of £££ in those days :unsure:

Less traumatic was when I was holidaying thru South Africa in a Toyota Corolla hire car ...  jeez, 40 years ago maybe ... and just turning into the Rorkes Drift dirt track came across a steer happily fast asleep in the centre of the road ........  he didn't move ...  I gently nudged around him ........  anyone else been there ?

Malc

Been where ?

Yorks Drift or meeting a Cow on the road ?

I`ve been with the latter several times.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

Just looked at this video again..did anybody notice that the driver's Macdonalds drink was still sfe in the cupholder...!!!

That all for now..I'm off for a Bambi burger..

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

Just looked at this video again..did anybody notice that the driver's Macdonalds drink was still sfe in the cupholder...!!!

That all for now..I'm off for a Bambi burger..

Sherlock might have intimated that it was not the driver`s but another who had deposited it there David after surveying the effect of the collision ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links