Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Loan Cars when the ES is on Service (or Repair)

STE041

Last week saw the ES have its first service day. The loaner was a UX250h Takumi. It bugs me that 1 year of mileage at 6600 still needs an interim service (10k miles). Anyway, I spent a day in the UX advertising the Lexus 22 plate event - a there and back only gig. For a £43k car I don’t personally rate it. This one had all the toys as I have in my ES300h F Sport with Takumi pack. My F Sport was also £43k list price when I got it in May last year.

UX Pros

drives like a (sluggish) go cart compared to my boat.

The amount of time the car jumps in and out of EV - even on the motorway - was getting 49mpg.

ML Sounds - see also Cons.

apple Car Play / Android Auto

USBs in the centre console

Head Up Display - very clear and displays more than you can get the ES to display.

UX Cons

I am used to the F Sport moving dial dash layout - the fixed dash pod layout seems cluttered but I am probably biased - it’s clear to read.

Small and shallow boot. How can this car be called a small SUV - just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.

Rear legroom - I’m 5’10, my knees are in the back of the front seat.

Cup holders don’t hold a red bull can tightly once it’s open - coke cans are not much better.

With a white leather interior - for a 21 plate with low mileage the white interior gets grubby really quick - particularly around touch points on the doors - the white is ingrained with, well crap off peoples hands - it wasn’t minging, but you know it looked like someone has cleaned it but not all marks would come off.

Crap cloth parcel shelf.

Sluggish compared to my ES - 300h dropping to a 250h (2.5l to 2.0l) is a huge difference despite comparing a large saloon to a small SUV

ML Sound - I usually use Tidal Masters in the ES at Vol 40 on the motorways. In the ES you can feel the bass in the back of the seat, in the UX the door cards are trying to jump off the doors and I cannot seen out of the rear view mirror as it’s vibrating into next week.

Multimedia Screen - it’s physically the same size as the ES but looks a lot smaller than the ES 12 inch screen - may be a different resolution?

Top of the dash - not sure what material it is but it’s odd

The air con buttons seem non intuitive at first to use

Window and steering wheel buttons a bit plasticky - similar to the 68/69 plate ES.

Windscreen wipers - passenger side - lots of travel for such a small blade

Sunroof - with the manual cover back the glass isn’t tinted like on the ES F Sport - it lets a load of glare in where it’s not wanted. Also found it odd when sliding open, it sits above the roof waiting for a stone to shatter it. It also doesn’t open as fully as the ES.

In all, I missed the boat for a day, and despite the ES being a bitch to park due to turning circle and length I think I’ve been spoilt having an ES since a 69 plate.

Also saw an NX450h plug in in the showroom - the screen is massive but the first thing that went through my head was “how you gonna get all the finger prints off that”.

Pics below of the UX Go Cart, plus 2 of my boat. I think once you’ve had an ES for a while it’s easily missed when jumping into a different Lexus model especially when you miss half the toys on your own model. The ES came back from service needing a new rear tyre (screw in side wall not repairable) and needs to go back in for a rattle that’s been developing since 1500 miles at roof level.

I’m sure the UX is right for some but it’s not really my thing.

48F9943E-18EC-4FB9-9E5F-22249DD00785.jpeg

C1A3EC8C-D081-47CB-A5CC-90AE02A3013D.jpeg

1073CCAA-29A7-4AFA-BFC2-964AB2753969.jpeg

4ACD1BEE-5CB4-4011-AD25-2A337D858699.jpeg

C05D26A8-23CF-4300-BCE2-1E60016C9E59.jpeg

AEB145D2-32AA-4816-9B87-32823B687E48.jpeg

61EA8DAA-F84F-4B88-800A-F59AECEF8E86.jpeg

2B98AC6D-ACB9-4D8A-9969-D24B7D18CC3B.jpeg

93127224-7419-444A-B530-2D41A0373DB9.jpeg

647AC360-EF52-4E16-8584-9C3AEC719826.jpeg

7A135E59-D197-46C6-B9B3-46441E517AC1.jpeg

58A7AF5A-DBE2-4D09-8C7A-56D544ADD2AF.jpeg

DB6BCD26-B95E-49C3-B2DF-B0E6A79F5267.jpeg

• Like 3

My ES Takumi was in for its second service , I had a base UX as a courtesy car and wasn’t impressed even though I have had UX loaners before, the worse thing was the road noise (it had Bridgestone tyres). It just didn’t feel anywhere on a par with my ES.

Incidentally Lexus Leicester charge £20 for a courtesy car when you are in for a service plus £10 for the insurance waiver, I have never paid for a courtesy car when using Lexus Stoke. That along with some really poor service means I will not be using Lexus Leicester again.

So the ES went back to the dealer today for a new tyre, investigate the roof rattle and I actually got hold of a boot liner which are never in stock.

Todays loaner was an NX F Sport with Tech and Safety pack plus pano roof. I’ve had an NX on loan before and thought they were ok but the MPG is a tad crap - maybe something to do with a heavy foot.

Being on my 2nd ES F Sport with Takumi  pack since 2019 I’ve been spoilt with having all the toys, so it’s immediately apparent with any loaner car that things are missing.

Although the NX is OK, I missed the pano cameras and ML Sounds, but at least it’s had the panoramic roof (non opening type)

NX Pros

Driving position

BSM works well but not as clear and obvious as the ES.

For an SUV it drives a little sluggish compared to my boat.

Totally different drive from the ES - this is the only time I remember the ES is FWD

Although there were no ML Sounds, the stock sounds were not bad (See also Cons)

apple Car Play / Android Auto

Pano fixed glass roof - a nice touch in an F Sport with a black headliner - lots of light coming in but not so much as to be blinded.

Rear leg room ok.

Shorter than the ES so can fit into a car park space without the front or arse end hanging out 🙂

NX Cons

The NX spends little time in EV node even when in traffic.

No HUD - I didn’t think I used mine that much but as it’s usually on it was missed.

I am used to the F Sport moving dial dash layout - the fixed dash pod sucks.

Small and shallow Small boot for an SUV, although you’d get a set of clubs in the back, I doubt you could get a baby buggy and much shopping in the boot in one hit. Not sure if the NX is a proper SUV or just trying to be one.

Cup holders don’t hold a red bull can tightly once it’s open - coke cans tend to slop about a bit when on the move.

Flimsy parcel shelf.

Sluggish compared to my ES - 300h and MPG is absolutely crap.

No ML Sounds - I tried Tidal Masters in the NX - it sounds ok if you’re not used to ML sounds but the sound is quite hollow. At Vol 40 the wing mirrors are having a bit of a dance.

Multimedia Screen - seems smaller that the 12.3 inch screen in the ES but it’s clear on Lexus navigation and there isn’t much in it when using ACP/

Steering wheel buttons a bit plasticky - they’re the same type used in the 27/18/19 plate IS300h.

Windscreen wipers - passenger side - lots of travel for such a small blade given the size of the screen.

Although I missed the boat for a day, and despite the ES being a bitch to park due to turning circle and length I think I’ve been spoilt having an ES since a 69 plate. I didn’t miss the ES as much as driving around in a UX on the last loaner - The NX is quite a sold car.

Looked around the NX350h plug in in the showroom - still think the screen is massive and the finger prints will put you off if your OCD kicks in.

I still think once you’ve had an ES for a while it’s easily missed when jumping into a different Lexus model especially when you miss half the toys on your own model.

The ES came back from Lexus with a new tyre and a new boot liner but needs to go back in for the roof rattle for a couple of days as they need to take out the roof liner 😞

I’m sure the NX is a good buy for those that are into that sort of thing, I much prefer the ES with the toys.

1D46D10A-3B82-48F8-AB83-22B3D2641440.jpeg

EB5AECE7-FA10-474E-A1A6-1EF4C11C1C0D.jpeg

23F649F2-27DF-496D-BBD5-31F31BDB9A60.jpeg

47C35202-92D8-4E64-9020-496446EABFA6.jpeg

066E1CBC-9625-4174-83EE-A6455684E2D4.jpeg

6A032B90-0A52-47E7-B3B8-0EBDB8F57F13.jpeg

493803C8-E15B-4900-8C77-81A87B77A7F8.jpeg

87F3A283-D7CB-42FD-A7FC-A5EA4D26191C.jpeg

8F30A5B1-A1CF-49B4-9D95-783C4679787D.jpeg

786F1813-3E62-494C-B734-C23E9BAE9018.jpeg

56329CD5-6D22-49EB-87F6-C588D5A322F9.jpeg

4A528A1B-0DEC-43B0-BA6A-6B4F5D5B7AE5.jpeg

EDCFD9B5-3977-4D30-BD72-E660180F750C.jpeg

66897D85-B79D-44C3-AC87-0099D534BD5C.jpeg

52AA1602-88E0-4004-8052-27A7687BB3E3.jpeg

DAD46D8E-326B-42AB-BF42-25EF3A939D73.jpeg

E318D865-4583-400E-AE68-C9C101EA48A8.jpeg

AD7FA38C-5D32-497B-9D99-44C4EA9588CC.jpeg

66D1FFD2-2C22-4226-B6E9-D0F17955DCBD.jpeg

3B991A60-CBD8-4023-A189-85E05BCD5218.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Derant said:

My ES Takumi was in for its second service , I had a base UX as a courtesy car and wasn’t impressed even though I have had UX loaners before, the worse thing was the road noise (it had Bridgestone tyres). It just didn’t feel anywhere on a par with my ES.

Incidentally Lexus Leicester charge £20 for a courtesy car when you are in for a service plus £10 for the insurance waiver, I have never paid for a courtesy car when using Lexus Stoke. That along with some really poor service means I will not be using Lexus Leicester again.

Lexus Reading ask if you want to pay a £15 damage waiver, but don’t charge for the loan of the car. Agreed the UX is quite a bit noisier than the ES - not sure if the UX has acoustic glass on the front end of the car like the ES does?

2 hours ago, Derant said:

All the Inchcape Lexus provide **** services , sales team have no knowledge, experienced technician leave, at the moment, their technician  is a young guy with no skill

6 hours ago, EVANGELION said:

All the Inchcape Lexus provide **** services , sales team have no knowledge, experienced technician leave, at the moment, their technician  is a young guy with no skill

This is alarming. Anyone else noticed a drop in standards at Nottingham ?

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

This is alarming. Anyone else noticed a drop in standards at Nottingham ?

I contacted Nottingham Lexus in August 2021 to order a MY22 ES300H F-sport, the centre Head of Business told me there is no MY22 ES300H release within the end of 2021

she said she worked in Lexus 11 years************* and didn't hear any new from Lexus UK, please note MY22 ES300h has been announce in Lexus media website

ref: https://media.lexus.co.uk/lexus-reveals-revised-es-saloon/  and I provided this information to her and she still mention she didn't hear anything about it 

after 2 months later, the manager give me a call and let me know I can order MY22 ES300H, and I told her, I had already ordered from other dealership

when I brought my previous Lexus vehicle  to do the warranty job in Nottingham Centre, and the Technician mention the build quality of Lexus is same with Hyundai. 

so from that time, I didn't bring my car to Nottingham Lexus anymore

• Like 2

I didnt rate the UX250h versions either. Hence we got the UX300e as its a much better car in terms of road noise, quietness and performance. The extra sound deadening is definitely noticeable.

Having said that, when I had the ES as a loaner for the UX300e I felt disappointed. I was comparing it to my RX and I found it a bit slow. It felt more boat like than the RX which I found a bit weird.

• Like 1

I’ve had 2 UX250h’s over the last few months, whilst our GSF and RX450h were being serviced. I agree on the ‘go kart’ feel but found them much more responsive and   faster than the ES300h F Sport i’ve had as a loan car in the past. Nothing against the ES, it’s a very nice car, but I was left disappointed with its lack of urgency. I guess it a great cruiser.  

I came to the same conclusion as @rayaans regarding the ES compared to the RX, although ours is a 3RX. 

It felt more boat like than the RX

I don’t actually disagree with that statement, I must be in the wafting phase of my life!!

Just booked my ES at Nottingham Lexus for its 1st service. On enquiring how the car is collected/I get home, it was suggested that I use their new rapid service. Supposedly uses 2 technicians and should not take longer than 45 mins. Weather permitting I shall go for a stroll in the park. Decided to give it a go as travel to and from dealers would exceed that if traffic is heavy. Interesting to see if it is cleaned; it takes me a good 30 mins to give it a quick wash. Small extra charge for engine oil flushing. Agreed to this as I have done a lot of short journeys. Back in the day, I regarded this as routine at oil changes.

I have a loan car for a few days while a  a  minor ding is being sorted on my UX. This is my first Lexus so  I find it interesting reading opinions about the UX from drivers who drive bigger cars and have it as a loan car. I know about the small boot and rear legroom etc,etc but I really don't think it drives like a go  gart. The ride is very comfortable and quiet and refined compared to other cars I've owned. I've not driven an IS Or ES but I suppose after those it may not  be as refined or comfortable.                                                  If you want a go cart my loan car., a Corsa fits the bill. Terrible noisy,  bumpy ride and cheap, hard plastics inside and the seats are pretty basic. On the plus side the door  mirrors fold in when I lock it unlike my £35,000 UX !

10 minutes ago, KentColin said:

On the plus side the door  mirrors fold in when I lock it unlike my £35,000 UX !

It is the one obvious thing Lexus seem to have got wrong, this should be standard. It has been standard on many other cars for years.

Seems a pointless saving (if that is what it is), for a luxury car. 

7 minutes ago, Moleman said:

It is the one obvious thing Lexus seem to have got wrong, this should be standard. It has been standard on many other cars for years.

Seems a pointless saving (if that is what it is), for a luxury car. 

for "many other cars" substitute "a small number of higher specc`d and high value vehicles "  do you think Maurice ?

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

for "many other cars" substitute "a small number of higher specc`d and high value vehicles "  do you think Maurice ?

Not sure about that John, this is the first car I have had since 2001 that does not have folding mirrors upon locking. Perhaps I just had the higher specc'd versions, but certainly not all higher value. Given that the mirrors can and do fold with the press of a button, why not include folding upon locking? As I said it seems a pointless saving for a car that is generally very well specc'd.

I still love the car, and I just press the button upon exit, but I miss that function.

I do feel Lexus, have made a mistake in this case.

1 hour ago, Moleman said:

Not sure about that John, this is the first car I have had since 2001 that does not have folding mirrors upon locking. Perhaps I just had the higher specc'd versions, but certainly not all higher value. Given that the mirrors can and do fold with the press of a button, why not include folding upon locking? As I said it seems a pointless saving for a car that is generally very well specc'd.

I still love the car, and I just press the button upon exit, but I miss that function.

I do feel Lexus, have made a mistake in this case.

I don`t disagree one jot or tittle Maurice.

I just thought that your almost all embracing remark was a little towards anecdotal rather than factual.

Just now, royoftherovers said:

I just thought that your almost all embracing remark was a little towards anecdotal rather than factual.

Possibly. 

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I have learnt however, that when you read the words powered folding mirrors, do not assume (I know) that means folding upon locking. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:46 PM, STE041 said:

So the ES went back to the dealer today for a new tyre, investigate the roof rattle and I actually got hold of a boot liner which are never in stock.

Todays loaner was an NX F Sport with Tech and Safety pack plus pano roof. I’ve had an NX on loan before and thought they were ok but the MPG is a tad crap - maybe something to do with a heavy foot.

Being on my 2nd ES F Sport with Takumi  pack since 2019 I’ve been spoilt with having all the toys, so it’s immediately apparent with any loaner car that things are missing.

Although the NX is OK, I missed the pano cameras and ML Sounds, but at least it’s had the panoramic roof (non opening type)

NX Pros

Driving position

BSM works well but not as clear and obvious as the ES.

For an SUV it drives a little sluggish compared to my boat.

Totally different drive from the ES - this is the only time I remember the ES is FWD

Although there were no ML Sounds, the stock sounds were not bad (See also Cons)

Apple Car Play / Android Auto

Pano fixed glass roof - a nice touch in an F Sport with a black headliner - lots of light coming in but not so much as to be blinded.

Rear leg room ok.

Shorter than the ES so can fit into a car park space without the front or arse end hanging out 🙂

NX Cons

The NX spends little time in EV node even when in traffic.

No HUD - I didn’t think I used mine that much but as it’s usually on it was missed.

I am used to the F Sport moving dial dash layout - the fixed dash pod sucks.

Small and shallow Small boot for an SUV, although you’d get a set of clubs in the back, I doubt you could get a baby buggy and much shopping in the boot in one hit. Not sure if the NX is a proper SUV or just trying to be one.

Cup holders don’t hold a red bull can tightly once it’s open - coke cans tend to slop about a bit when on the move.

Flimsy parcel shelf.

Sluggish compared to my ES - 300h and MPG is absolutely crap.

No ML Sounds - I tried Tidal Masters in the NX - it sounds ok if you’re not used to ML sounds but the sound is quite hollow. At Vol 40 the wing mirrors are having a bit of a dance.

Multimedia Screen - seems smaller that the 12.3 inch screen in the ES but it’s clear on Lexus navigation and there isn’t much in it when using ACP/

Steering wheel buttons a bit plasticky - they’re the same type used in the 27/18/19 plate IS300h.

Windscreen wipers - passenger side - lots of travel for such a small blade given the size of the screen.

Although I missed the boat for a day, and despite the ES being a bitch to park due to turning circle and length I think I’ve been spoilt having an ES since a 69 plate. I didn’t miss the ES as much as driving around in a UX on the last loaner - The NX is quite a sold car.

Looked around the NX350h plug in in the showroom - still think the screen is massive and the finger prints will put you off if your OCD kicks in.

I still think once you’ve had an ES for a while it’s easily missed when jumping into a different Lexus model especially when you miss half the toys on your own model.

The ES came back from Lexus with a new tyre and a new boot liner but needs to go back in for the roof rattle for a couple of days as they need to take out the roof liner 😞

I’m sure the NX is a good buy for those that are into that sort of thing, I much prefer the ES with the toys.

Interesting review but I think you are a little unfair with your comments re equipment and toys. Panoramic/360 cameras and ML systems are there if you go for the right version.

It’s always very interesting to read the opinions of others on different models. These are nicely written reviews.

Having owned or had most Lexus models as courtesy cars over the last few years, I tend to agree with some of the comments about the UX. The door cards especially feel (to me) needlessly cheap and plasticky. Apart from that I quite liked the UX, and it certainly is perky.

Happy to admit that saloons aren’t my thing any more as I find them too low to get in an out of easily. The one time I had an ES I loved the looks, but as others have said found it quite an unwieldy thing. Compared with the NX I had at the time I do remember posting that I found the ES interior quality quite a let down in comparison.

As with most things, it’s all about perception and opinion. There isn’t really a right or wrong. 

So today I had another loaner - hopefully the last for a long time - the 2022 NX F Sport with a full panoramic tilt and slide roof.

Lots of pics attached here - I have to say that although this was missing ML Sounds and the stock sounds sound ok but not stunning, I am really impressed with the ‘22 NX vs the ‘21 NX.

Drives whisper quiet on 20” rims and you can’t feel narrow speed bumps at 40mph

Motorway driving is great - adaptive cruise, standard cruise and a speed limiter all in one.

The HUD is massive and the buttons on the steering wheel are touch sensitive (as well as push type buttons).

The steering wheel - I like the F Sport logo on this wheel as opposed to the ES but the NX steering wheel feels cheap the leather doesn’t feel like leather. The heated wheel though heats all around the wheel not just the sides.

F Sport seats in the front are both heated and ventilated - I miss ventilated seats - you don’t have these in the ES F Sport, oh, and the rear seats are heated also.

Boot - powered, quite big, but with storage unused the floor but no space saver / spare.

Rear leg room - I sat in the back with the front seat right back - I am 5,10 and had knee room but not as much as I get in the ES.

The roof - this and the 20 inch wheels really make this car - the roof is excellent.

Pod display - all digital, I still prefer the ES F Sport dash that has the moving dial although this dash is nice and clear.

Infotainment - the screen is quite a stretch to use on the move, and is a finger print magnet that will set of your OCD when you turn the car off. You really only see prints once the screen is black. In use - no glare when driving.

All in all a great car if it had the sounds to match it - there isn’t even a sub fitted.

So after all these loaners, the ES is ready to collect tomorrow with the roof rattle sorted, looking forwards to getting it back.

A430BDCF-8068-41E2-A8D3-96CE7B068D9A.jpeg

D90704C5-2BB0-4290-91F6-ACD9021A45E6.jpeg

C70D6DB3-EB00-4E6D-8050-CED5FFD86AF1.jpeg

AF5FAED6-44A1-4A32-A2C2-B8D0DD5DD6D0.jpeg

32008D9A-426A-46FD-87CC-0B78D8488039.jpeg

FC897576-DD28-4473-A87D-586873567895.jpeg

A0DB087D-17D9-42D4-A2B7-9A2149A76B6C.jpeg

B8E76463-F52B-4D99-A0F9-83FDAF079148.jpeg

2F8CAA42-0AE3-45E9-8644-9C7ABB627A71.jpeg

4278642B-5861-44E2-B3C6-77074F80EF9C.jpeg

BE9803AA-CBB3-486A-B7C7-0DB3EBB4B574.jpeg

4848DB12-B04F-418D-862B-01A96D2DBADE.jpeg

C7F42F4D-4331-410E-8758-8355E248AC38.jpeg

9B006B1E-CF69-45F0-8D6C-6E0EB62D871B.jpeg

C3CF9167-5343-4F42-86C0-C431DB3969DF.jpeg

358F16CF-203B-4857-928F-33AA01FC352F.jpeg

450B3446-45EF-4DC5-9AD3-8A63DD37B817.jpeg

F1EEEE5B-E688-463F-A81E-8CC53012DCFF.jpeg

F951E376-EAB0-4E17-9257-24CC4C0C3133.jpeg

10CC123E-912D-4D0B-BD43-1805E75AEF5F.jpeg

75031137-C2B6-4DCA-B5A2-417F6FE21CE7.jpeg

E2156F61-75C5-4F96-A028-381727E3AD6E.jpeg

23A8C409-49A4-4E0C-BB73-1616F43958A1.jpeg

2EC2351E-07C4-4F5F-9920-68D7A1FF58DD.jpeg

1A68F8AE-2491-4F2A-B896-8D38E0398EB0.jpeg

D38291F0-689B-4DF6-85C3-289DCBB44836.jpeg

0EA6843C-7136-4196-8B9B-B949934F6764.jpeg

B18FB094-A7CD-426C-9225-AA6D361E57D4.jpeg

570739BE-A0B1-4B6D-B52F-98E6535CBBA4.jpeg

B5E95FC3-6F23-47A7-BABC-F0ED80B989D5.jpeg

0DA72AFC-246F-405B-AD3B-7849498451A8.jpeg

C55F077C-BB8B-4431-825E-8D706B99DEDB.jpeg

6370A786-17DF-4429-89DB-21B49AC49727.jpeg

BC53B0C1-29BD-400E-A364-6D42E547C535.jpeg

FAA8BA87-41AB-4BD5-9F8D-100813643A30.jpeg

193BB3CF-D3FE-4DCA-B957-3852371BF13A.jpeg

66FEC91F-96A7-4AA1-A8EB-4952B92C5BDF.jpeg

E254ADE0-34BF-4DF3-B97E-4D5877CCEE45.jpeg

4CE04D97-509D-4EFC-B392-CBD5D95046B7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links