Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel alignment cost (UK)

MadJam250

3 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

hunter alignment or such for much less than 70,

maybe that's so then nowadays ........  Is Hunter the diagrams produced showing green and red and then when it's all adjusted and sorted ....  a final GREEN printout ?

Mine always showed 4 corners with wheels ( maybe :unsure: ) and angles and stuff like that with RED for areas needing attention and GREEN when all was fine and hunkydory

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

maybe that's so then nowadays ........  Is Hunter the diagrams produced showing green and red and then when it's all adjusted and sorted ....  a final GREEN printout ?

Mine always showed 4 corners with wheels ( maybe :unsure: ) and angles and stuff like that with RED for areas needing attention and GREEN when all was fine and hunkydory

Malc

Hunter and other systems like that read camber, castor and toe settings from the reg plate and the wheel attachments are used to see what's going on and information is sent back to the display where the fitter can see what needs adjusting. It's more involved than Lazer tracking which is suitable for most cars, indeed I would question if the CT200h needs full on alignment in the first place and the two hours suggested seems pure folly, rip of at it's finest 

• Like 2

I've now got the wheel alignment cost down to £105. But now a wheel/brake is binding which is deemed as an urgent need to address. The dealer have said that the rear disc and pads need replacing too. My guess is that if a caliper is the reason for this (assuming) would the new Relax warranty cover this and/or anything else brake/wheel related that is making the wheel bind as it is? 

Thanks all. 

12 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

I've now got the wheel alignment cost down to £105. But now a wheel/brake is binding which is deemed as an urgent need to address. The dealer have said that the rear disc and pads need replacing too. My guess is that if a caliper is the reason for this (assuming) would the new Relax warranty cover this and/or anything else brake/wheel related that is making the wheel bind as it is? 

Thanks all. 

For standard alignment ? that is a rip off -- for 4 wheel correction with a Hunter or such its still a bit much -- I would go back to what I said previously and query if your Lexus Ct needs camber/toe etc adjusted? the majority of cars dont - sports orientated ones probably will

I had a sticky rear caliper on my Subaru - if you jack up the car and spin the wheels, then hit the brakes and try again -- if the caliper is sticking it wont spin - I got an after market part as OEM ones far too much money for what they are. 

............... it's a simple negligent failing of Main Dealers ( and others )  servicing that the calipers are never greased as needed ............  it's not on any servicing schedule ....  and you get these expensive failures of the calipers ( so they say ! ) 

My indy has always checked the calipers at every service and doing what's necesssary, a 10 minute job all round ........... and in 239k miles my car has never needed replacement calipers 

The 4 Wheel Alignment cost is simply a Main Dealer  " Rip Off "  ..... why don't you ask them to allow you to watch as they do this .... checking the printouts as they get churned out by the computer .......  does the Main Dealer even actually do the Alignment Check or is your car being sent down the road to the local tyre place where the equipment is together with the trained and competent operator ?

I'm so frustrated and annoyed for you ...........  they're being so disingenuous with everything 

Malc

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

My expectation (guess) is that the calliper should be covered, but they may say discs and pads are normal wear and tear so not covered, but you could argue they have only worn out as the calliper had failed hence consequential damage.  Either way discs and pads would need to be replaced on both wheels.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spock66 said:

Either way discs and pads would need to be replaced on both wheels.

.... if indeed the Main Dealer is being truthful  .........  was there any Advisory at the last MOT ? and the mileage covered in-between  ?

I'm sad to say that I wouldn't trust these people to be at all acting in your best interests ...........  next thing they'll be wanting to charge you a couple of £000s for all this wheel and brakes work  .....  wish I was in your part of the country Martin, I'd be down there like a shot and be rather inquisitive of these guys with the little knowledge I have with some 55 years driving and car servicing behind me ...........  and prior owning a GOOD used car business for some years 

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a relative who has a tyre business he bought a wheel alignment machine for a couple of thousand and reckons it has paid for itself in the first 12 month its in constant use and earns him £100+ per hour and that was a good many years ago now 🤔

3 minutes ago, Localhero said:

I have a relative who has a tyre business he bought a wheel alignment machine for a couple of thousand and reckons it has paid for itself in the first 12 month its in constant use and earns him £100+ per hour and that was a good many years ago now 🤔

Would believe you 

Thank you all for your support and advice etc. 

The healthcheck video after my service earlier in the month showed the rear wheels being spun by hand and how one wasn't spinning freely, hence the one being described as binding; the other on the same axle spun freely. The discs on the same axle were assessed to be corroded on both sides with 4mm left on the pads (it was also showing as 4mm at the previous year's service/MOT health check, but not annotated on the MOT( Sept '21) certificate as an advisory). The rear two tyres are badly stepped and I was then told to have these two replaced ASAP (fair enough), have the front two part worn tyres moved to the rear to replace them and have two new tyres put on to the front, plus have the rear discs and pads changed to also eliminate the binding wheel. My understanding is I need two new tyres (to replace the badly stepped ones) and I get that I will need new brake discs and pads soonish, but I can't see how having new brake pads and discs will get rid of the binding? From my understanding that has to be a faulty caliper doing this - hence my enquiry as to whether this could be a Relax warranty job. As others have said, this may not cover the discs and pads for that axle but that is something I can ask about and whether the binding has affected the wear on the pads significantly to have that covered under warranty too. 

I have always trusted the mechanics and service dept at my local Lexus dealer, having used them almost every time I have had my Lexuses (Lexi?), over the last few years, but I feel there is an element of desperation to sell work right now, and that also includes in the sales team. I incidentally enquired about another car sold there and have been inundated with emails, calls, missed calls and voicemail messages from the salesman since. But that in itself is another story... 

12 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

that has to be a faulty caliper doing this

probably just the caliper pins need greasing ........  a 5 minute job ......  10 mins to do them all .......  and a little of the appropriate grease stuff.......  35 pence worth no doubt !

aaarrrrgggghhhh 😵

Malc

• Thanks 1

For all the work (2 tyres, wheel alignment, rear brakes and pads) Lexus quoted almost £600 but came down to £545. An independent has quoted the same woek for £395. Lexus won't budge saying that I get a free healthcheck (which is 'free', and won't have changed in the 3 weeks since the car last had one), a free wash and vac (which is 'free', and worth about a fiver) and a lift to and from work (always appreciated, but...). 

I think I know where I'll be going this time. 

Lexus having scrapped the excellently priced Essential Care package don't care about the older car owners anymore whereas before that was a half the incentive of using a main dealer because their prices were very competative. Doubling the cost of wheel alignment over 12m because the machine is new is like going to Costa and being charged £6 for a £3 mocha because they now have a better frother. 

I also puzzled why my local dealer sells cars at around 10-20% more than other main dealer franchises. 

29 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

For all the work (2 tyres, wheel alignment, rear brakes and pads) Lexus quoted almost £600 but came down to £545. An independent has quoted the same woek for £395. Lexus won't budge saying that I get a free healthcheck (which is 'free', and won't have changed in the 3 weeks since the car last had one), a free wash and vac (which is 'free', and worth about a fiver) and a lift to and from work (always appreciated, but...). 

Lexus having scrapped the excellently priced Essential Care package don't care about the older car owners anymore whereas before that was a half the incentive of using a main dealer because their prices were very competative. Doubling the cost of wheel alignment over 12m because the machine is new is like going to Costa and being charged £6 for a £3 mocha because they now have a better frother. 

I also puzzled why my local dealer sells cars at around 10-20% more than other main dealer franchises. 

Lexus Cheltenham is owned by Listers, I understand and like most motor dealers are "revenue chasers" at the expense of customer service, perhaps ?

48 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

For all the work

and the caliper issues  ?  they weren't suddenly going to advise you need to spend another £1000 to sort that issue out when they car was up in the air 😵 

BUT do make sure you ask your indy to check and grease-up the caliper bits and bobs eh !  ..  these are so so often overlooked and can result in some expensive issues further down the line 

Malc

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

Well there's lots here Martin to cogitate on, firstly, doesn't the Relax programme cover your car without forking out for Essentials? Secondly, I bought Goodyear tyres for my XKR from Oponeo and had them fitted by my MOT chap for £5 a corner - huge saving. On my RX I used Halfords with promotional offer and Gold card discount. Costco also worth looking at. Tyre Pros offer a wheel alignment check foc as a starting point 😎

Dont know why people do not fix their own car, Lexus or otherwise - its madness especially on older cars - I am not even a mechanic but do most of the work myself on my car - certainly all the fluids and spark plugs - brakes I will leave to my indy - give him the parts let him fit. £96 to my indy last year to fit and install 4 x MTEC slotted discs and brembo pads and 1 rear caliper, purchased OEM refurbished (£100) - I gave him the parts, discs were £174 and pads £82 for the front and £31 for rear - total cost £493 and you wont get parts of that quality fitted at a dealer

8 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

its madness especially on older cars

and some of us simply couldn't change a wheel these days ...... summat to do with arthritis and immoblity you know :whistling:

Malc

• Like 3

On 6/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, toffee_pie said:

Dont know why people do not fix their own car, Lexus or otherwise - its madness especially on older cars - I am not even a mechanic but do most of the work myself on my car - certainly all the fluids and spark plugs - brakes I will leave to my indy - give him the parts let him fit. £96 to my indy last year to fit and install 4 x MTEC slotted discs and Brembo pads and 1 rear caliper, purchased OEM refurbished (£100) - I gave him the parts, discs were £174 and pads £82 for the front and £31 for rear - total cost £493 and you wont get parts of that quality fitted at a dealer

No offence but this is an ignorant comment. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cactus said:

No offence but this is an ignorant comment. 

Why is it ignorant? You think a dealer will fit high performance parts as part of a service? Heck you would be lucky if they used decent quality oil. 

But whatever floats your boat 

1 minute ago, toffee_pie said:

Why is it ignorant? You think a dealer will fit high performance parts as part of a service? Heck you would be lucky if they used decent quality oil. 

But whatever floats your boat 

That is why you are ignorant. 

Everyone’s  personal circumstances are different. The fact that you don’t understand or have no conscience to understand others as to why some people would choose to use a dealer to service or fix their cars is beyond me. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cactus said:

That is why you are ignorant. 

Everyone’s  personal circumstances are different. The fact that you don’t understand or have no conscience to understand others as to why some people would choose to use a dealer to service or fix their cars is beyond me. 

So I hurt your feelings? I said on my post, especially older cars. But old or new they won't burn themselves on high end parts, just your wallet.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links