Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel alignment cost (UK)

MadJam250

My local Lexus dealer has quoted me £150 for 4-way wheel alignment. That's almost 3x as much as an independent is quoting me! Is this a 'good' price (and/or is the tech so clever now it's worth paying that) or this a highly unreasonable price to pay? 

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

My local Lexus dealer has quoted me £150 for 4-way wheel alignment. That's almost 3x as much as an independent is quoting me! Is this a 'good' price (and/or is the tech so clever now it's worth paying that) or this a highly unreasonable price to pay? 

Thanks 

If you have a well respected Indie you can trust Martin, then it`s a silly price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MadJam250 said:

My local Lexus dealer has quoted me £150 for 4-way wheel alignment.

I had mine done at a Lexus main dealer in Jan '21 cost £85, I'd suggest speaking to the Service Manager and asking for an improved price.

• Like 2

Had the option to add it to my last service. Lexus Preston charge £69. Done online during the prior day check in process for service.

£150 is ridiculous.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadJam250 said:

Thanks 

Lexus Cheltenham Martin ?

• Like 1

Had mine done sometime back at Lexus Nottingham. Never felt quite right despite them checking and re checking. When I recently replaced my tyres at my local ETS store they were rechecked and they had to heat one of the locknuts to allow adjustment but the difference was noticed immediately and made me realize that I had been correct all along and wished I had taken it elsewhere originally. They both used the same Hunter alignment system. I no longer use Nottingham due to this and other issues.

• Like 4

£150 seems a ridiculous price ..  any Hunter equipped tyre place ( and that's most these days ) should be able to set it all up, even heating up bits and pieces, for a fraction of that price

Malc

Lexus usually charge £69 although they do tend to price match local kwik fit or other well known retailers.

I cant see it being £150 at all tbh. 

21 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Lexus usually charge £69 although they do tend to price match local kwik fit or other well known retailers.

I cant see it being £150 at all tbh. 

It seems to be the Accountants at Cheltenham seeking to increase Revenue to meet targets ?

Sure seems like it. As a loyal customer I don't like being ripped off. Thank you to all for saying that you all think it's a crazy price. I thought I was maybe thinking I was put of touch and with everything else rocketing in price Lexus felt obliged to follow the lead. I'm not paying this price. I have asked for confirmation of this price that was quoted on the service summary. 

Interesting this should come up. I've just had my 4 new tyres fitted and need to arrange 4 wheel alignment. How long does it take approximately for a garage do this job?

42 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Interesting this should come up. I've just had my 4 new tyres fitted and need to arrange 4 wheel alignment. How long does it take approximately for a garage do this job?

If you are near to Ellesmere Port Jeff, try Port Tyres in Princes Road.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JeffL said:

How long does it take approximately for a garage do this job

mine's usually been about 30 mins or so ....  depends on the initial computer results checking to see what, if anything needs adjusting .....  then on from there, no more time or perhaps a little time to do some adjustmets ........  initially green computer printout is ok or if some of it is red then those specifics needing adjustment

Once I was overnight ( leaving the car ) coz the appropriate adjusters had totally seized and it was either wait for the penetrating oil to do it's job or pay out for a replacement summat or other at lots of £00's it seems at that time

So I left the car and next day the effort to complete the task was minimal and the usual, then fee of about £40 was charged if my memory serves me ok

I had regularly bought my tyres there too but hey, tyre purchases aren't that frequent 

Malc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

mine's usually been about 30 mins or so ....  depends on the initial computer results checking to see what, if anything needs adjusting .....  then on from there, no more time or perhaps a little time to do some adjustmets ........  initially green computer printout is ok or if some of it is red then those specifics needing adjustment

Once I was overnight ( leaving the car ) coz the appropriate adjusters had totally seized and it was either wait for the penetrating oil to do it's job or pay out for a replacement summat or other at lots of £00's it seems at that time

So I left the car and next day the effort to complete the task was minimal and the usual, then fee of about £40 was charged if my memory serves me ok

I had regularly bought my tyres there too but hey, tyre purchases aren't that frequent 

Malc

I was told 2 hours, hence the high quote (in labour charge). Have emailed the dealer to verify this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MadJam250 said:

I was told 2 hours, hence the high quote (in labour charge).

there's zero labour charge for this function ..  it's like repairing a puncture in effort and time  ...  maybe 10 mins, maybe a half hour ...... a competent tyre place will maybe charge you £15/20 ...  but Lexus are saying min £100 effecively for a min half hour labour for a puncture repair ..  what nonsense ........  tell 'em to " get real " 

As we are saying, most competent tyre places will now have " Hunter " equipment or equivalent and trained staff to operate it 

Malc

• Like 1

The local dealer has come back to me and said that the increased price for wheel alignment is due to their upgrading their machinery. With everything else rocketing in price there is no way I am paying this price. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MadJam250 said:

is due to their upgrading their machinery.

and the magnificent new coffee machine with handpicked beans from Colombia .....  wot a load of tosh eh ! 

Malc

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Malc said:

and the magnificent new coffee machine with handpicked beans from Colombia .....  wot a load of tosh eh ! 

Malc

Absolutely! 

As a loyal customer this winds me up. Their used cars are more expensive than other dealers too. Maybe it's time for a change. I can't forgive being ripped off and I will go elsewhere. Yes, dealerships are suffering post Covid etc yet so is everyone else, the customers. 

Does a CT200h need full alignment - ie camber etc? I am having a tricky time getting someone as I am in the sticks - ish but have a booking for hunter alignment in a week for £70 inc the vat - I need full alignment and dont think the bod at kwikfit done a good job last year as my front camber looks out

5 hours ago, Malc said:

Malc

Prefer Ethiopia myself...

On 6/6/2022 at 8:50 AM, Malc said:

there's zero labour charge for this function ..  it's like repairing a puncture in effort and time  ...  maybe 10 mins, maybe a half hour ...... a competent tyre place will maybe charge you £15/20 ...  but Lexus are saying min £100 effecively for a min half hour labour for a puncture repair ..  what nonsense ........  tell 'em to " get real " 

As we are saying, most competent tyre places will now have " Hunter " equipment or equivalent and trained staff to operate it 

Malc

tbf, there is skill involved in proper wheel correction / alignment - its not as trivial as you think. I went to a bod in Southampton who was some veteran guru who could do it in about 20 minutes ish but he knew exactly what he was doing - the guy at kwikfit i met last year, not so much

I think some people confuse standard tracking with full on alignment, not every car needs the latter

On 6/6/2022 at 8:41 AM, MadJam250 said:

I was told 2 hours, hence the high quote (in labour charge). Have emailed the dealer to verify this. 

2 hours is bull, that would make me walk in the fist instance. To a compdetent person its 30/40 minutes tops

9 hours ago, toffee_pie said:

To a compdetent person its 30/40 minutes tops

It's simply finding the appropriate tyre vendor with the kit to do the 4 wheel alignment AND the key is the trained bod to undertake the task with that professional kit

...........£70 seems a lot to me but it's been a while since I had mine done .......  everythings gone up up up £££££ sadly since end of covid so maybe £70 is the new " norm " 

Malc

26 minutes ago, Malc said:

It's simply finding the appropriate tyre vendor with the kit to do the 4 wheel alignment AND the key is the trained bod to undertake the task with that professional kit

...........£70 seems a lot to me but it's been a while since I had mine done .......  everythings gone up up up £££££ sadly since end of covid so maybe £70 is the new " norm " 

Malc

You might be confusing Lazer tracking with full alignment, I doubt you can get hunter alignment or such for much less than 70, for the standard tracking about 30/40 tops seems to be fair price 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links