Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What would you replace an RX with?

I love the space in my RX but it's underpowered and thirsty. Was musing over what I'll get when it eventually gives up, I think a Euro6 diesel estate car, so anything after about 2015, and probably one of:

- Mondeo Estate
- Toyota Avensis
- Volvo V60

All in the ballpark of £10k or so. Anyone have any thoughts on which of these would be better? (or something else?)  

I only have experience of the Avensis. Leaving aside the 2015 1.8 petrol I had for a year (best avoided), I ran a 2010 2.0 diesel for four years. Not especially powerful, but I rowed it along on the torque like an old, carb-fed petrol engine. Circa 45-50mpg from memory and it happily took the four of us on several French holidays.

Lots of space inside, both for passengers and luggage (I still think the boot is comparable to or possibly bigger than my gen 3 RX).

I believe the final series of BMW-engined models are best avoided, at least as a 1.6 diesel, and I don't think they look so good either, but I think the second, mildly facelifted version goes up to 2015 or so.

There is a 2.2 that is more powerful, but I'm not sure if this as reliable or economical, besides which it doesn't seem to be very common either.

I can't say it would be better than Mondeo or Volvo, but it did a decent enough job for me.

This one is a 2014, would it be OK for you? Cheap tax apparently, and quite nice spec with leather and Alcantara (the one thing I did like about my petrol version): https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202207017359569

2 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Quite simply, another RX. I've had three of them now and I just can't think of any better car :thumbup:

If an RX had a manual diesel option I wouldn't hesitate, but the price of fuel these days is a killer. Still not worth selling mine, the cost of changing car would far outweigh any fuel savings, but my next car is going to feature efficiency!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

This one is a 2014, would it be OK for you? Cheap tax apparently, and quite nice spec with leather and Alcantara (the one thing I did like about my petrol version): https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202207017359569

The reason for 2015+ is diesels have to be euro6 for the ULEZ which is likely going to spread to my area at some point.

TBH this is all academic really, it would take a lot to make me part with my RX. Even if the transmission failed I'd probably just fix it rather than change car.

• Like 3

I have never owned or driven a Volvo but I think the very old ones were pretty rugged and fairly easy to work on but I was only reading last night how the V60 was selected as one of the cars to avoid being unreliable and expensive to maintain.  Ford has a reputation of reasonable reliability and maintenance costs helped by being a non premium car.  

Mazda CX5 seems quite a nice choice.

I ran a Mondeo 1.8 diesel estate for three years from 2008. It was an ex- demonstrator Zetec. Good car overall, loads of space and reasonably economical. That said I don't score it particularly highly in terms of reliability as I had clutch problems amongst other more minor issues which Ford did either fix under warranty or make financial contribution towards after haggling.

Obviously not going to be suitable for yourself but when my RX got crashed into I bought an imported Toyota Estate as a stand-in (Caldina).  Was really hard to drive what I classed as a regular car again (normal ride height meant I didn't have that commanding driving position any more) and there was a marked difference in fit and finish.  Now the RX is back on the road I'm jumping between both just because I can see each has it's merits.

Not sure if I could choose between them but that points to how good the import is, the RX was the perfect all-rounder for a long time!

I went from a RX450H to a 2.2 diesel mondeo. Only swapped for economic reasons and I miss that car. To answer your question I'd replace a RX with a slightly newer one.

• Like 1

My wife had a 1.8 petrol automatic Verso in 2015. Smooth and quiet, but fuel economy comparable to a RX450h! I have a friend who had the 1.6d (BMW engine) and he sold it early due to lack of power and issues with the engine, so I would go for the 2.0l diesel. 

Fuel is a highly visible cost, but depreciation and garage costs much less visible. Sometimes marginal fuel savings can be quickly negated by these larger "hidden" costs.

6 minutes ago, b4u2 said:

@m4rkw

Honda Accord are very god cars.

I have had 2 of them and you get top spec for low cost a fraction what you would pay for say a BMW.

Agree. The Accord Tourer is great, but best get the I-DTEC rather than the previous CTD-I.

I ran a 2.2 I-DTEC for 40k miles and it was a pleasure. Regular runs needed to look after the DPF as with all modern diesels and good maintenance is key - the right oil etc. 

Fantastic cars.

1 minute ago, b4u2 said:

@m4rkw

Honda Accord are very god cars.

I have had 2 of them and you get top spec for low cost a fraction what you would pay for say a BMW.

A shame they didn't keep going with them.

I have previously considered Mazda 6. Great-looking cars, but for me the 19" wheels and low profile tyres on the nicer-spec models would have been an issue on the rural roads around here (and no spare wheel of any sort either). What about CX5?

A pity there is no 'normal' biggish Toyota or Lexus estate.

But must admit had same problem with both my accords that at some point the drive shaft if that's what it's called failed and that was a costly replacement and of course off the road for a while when the repair was being done. Other than that i don't think can fault it the only reason i sold mine on is becuase didn't want it to lose too much value and end up scrapping them for nothing or close to nothing. But both my previous accords are around my area as people in my community own them so get to see and drive past them quite often and have a good laugh😂 amazing how some japanese cars just seem to go on and on like last forever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, b4u2 said:

amazing how some japanese cars just seem to go on and on like last forever.

This. My car had no service history at all when I got it, and I remember laughing when Louis told me that if I did the maintenance I'd get tired of looking at it before I had a major problem. Four and a half years later I'm starting to see what he meant, there's no way I can justify spending money on a new car when this one is so good and so reliable but worth next to nothing second hand.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links