Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cherished Number Plates

Ken Timbers

18 minutes ago, Herbie said:

About half a mile from where I live, a Mini Clubman has the plate U2, and also knocking around Preston is a Range Rover with the plate 1E.

Each of those plates cost more than my house (which is currently on the market for £210k) and I'm sorry but I find it obscene that someone can spend so much money on something as trivial as a car number plate.

Their money..they can do with it as they please 🤷‍♂️, and they obviously have that kind of spare cash …. Would i spend that type of money on a personal plate…. Probably if i had just won the euro lottery… ps I haven’t so i wont be splashing out anytime soon lol

its personal choice at the end of day, i personally like personal private plates i also like sexy female dwarfs but thats a subject  for another day 😉😆😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

About half a mile from where I live, a Mini Clubman has the plate U2, and also knocking around Preston is a Range Rover with the plate 1E.

Each of those plates cost more than my house (which is currently on the market for £210k) and I'm sorry but I find it obscene that someone can spend so much money on something as trivial as a car number plate.

Oh Herbs, you disappoint😕. The last time I looked we live in a sort of democrat society please don't take us down a "we're all equal" route. 😱. A Lexus LFA is about 4 times your house would you decry ownership of one? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr2lad said:

its personal choice at the end of day, i personally like personal private plates i also like sexy female dwarfs but thats a subject  for another day 😉😆😂

Now that sounds a far more interesting subject of discussion than personal Number plates!

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Some people even think it is obscene driving a Premium Suv that cost more than they paid for their flats, even though owners may have worked hard for years to purchase such a vehicle.  What I find obscene among others is the salary Garry Linaker receives, even though he does a good job;  and what some soccer players make for kicking a ball, even if they do it well.  Then even that is not enough, so we have some of them advertising crisps, cars or whatever.  I guess it goes with democracy.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I guess it goes with democracy

yeh, and some old Musk'y EV driver earning the world's biggest income ever .....  who'd drive an EV eh !

Malc

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

What I find obscene among others is the salary Garry Linaker receives, even though he does a good job

I remember a listing on eBay from years ago for Gary Lineker's LS, I think it was a 94/95 so not sure which exact model that would be, but it was pretty cheap as I recall, wasn't Gary listing it but a subsequent owner.

• Like 1

I recently purchased a personalised plate from the DVLA site. It was relatively inexpensive and the letters contained on it won't mean anything to anyone but my family and friends who know my nickname since school.

The plan is to hold it on retention for a couple of years and then put it on my current 71 plate Gen 2 NX. The primary objective when I do change it over is to hide the age of the car and, assuming the NX doesn't go through another major facelift in the meantime, hopefully alleviate the urge I get to replace my car when in my mind I feel it's getting old 😔. That way I might buy myself another couple of years before I get the "itch" 🙏

• Haha 1

As a well known comedian (so well known, I can't remember who it was) once said, why not just change your name by deed poll to your registration number?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

So rich you don’t have to wear a seat belt, beautiful car.

Yes gorgeous car, I guess the number plate reflects the character of it's owner....

• Like 1

Spotted on the Kings Road in Chelsea  at the weekend was a  Lamborghini with the reg   V12 0MFG. I'd rather  not have to explain it !

Edited by KentColin
Wanted to add sentence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Andy B said:

hopefully alleviate the urge I get to replace my car when in my mind I feel it's getting old 😔. That way I might buy myself another couple of years before I get the "itch" 

Hi Andy

I have had a cherished plate for many years and it never stopped that itch for me to change my car, they seldom lasted over 2 years!

Until I bought my Lexus SC430 and I truly believe this will be my forever car!

20220505_081053.thumb.jpg.89e87f261b102596b4bea4115245c05f.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/26/2022 at 10:40 PM, Lexiguy said:

Hi Andy

I have had a cherished plate for many years and it never stopped that itch for me to change my car, they seldom lasted over 2 years!

Until I bought my Lexus SC430 and I truly believe this will be my forever car!

20220505_081053.thumb.jpg.89e87f261b102596b4bea4115245c05f.jpg

Never had the chance to buy a SC430 but alway thought we’d like one…..too late now I think most would be almost banger material?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

Never had the chance to buy a SC430 but alway thought we’d like one…..too late now I think most would be almost banger material?

You cheeky man! I am sure there are many on here who would disagree with you, I certainly do! 

I have just returned home after a 400 mile road trip and it never missed a beat causing interest and admiring glances wherever I go. I believe it's versatility,  performance, comfort and reliability are second to none. 

It appears from the vehicle you indicate you own that you are not conversant with newer vehicles and certainly not the SC430.

Kind regards 

Anthony 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 11:25 AM, oneflewover said:

I'm still after my longed for 1965 Bentley S3 or indeed a simpler ( than this one )  RR S111 of 1965 .. they had sorted all the earlier issues and most had Power Steering " as standard " ..... hahahahaha .  in a RR eh !

Not found one yet, nearly did at £27,500 BUT they said it was " under offer "  .  so maybe I will get my dream machine before I pop me clogs 

BUT really, my existing Ls400 is all I want and shoud need :unsure:

Malc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

You cheeky man! I am sure there are many on here who would disagree with you, I certainly do! 

I have just returned home after a 400 mile road trip and it never missed a beat causing interest and admiring glances wherever I go. I believe it's versatility,  performance, comfort and reliability are second to none. 

It appears from the vehicle you indicate you own that you are not conversant with newer vehicles and certainly not the SC430.

Kind regards 

Anthony 

I quite agree Ant, although I’ve had a few hiccups with mine since I got it, it’s NO banger 😲😲

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Kind regards 

Anthony 

Sorry no disrespect intended, it’s just even the newest now will be getting on in years and mileage, and paying through the nose for a low mileage 10 year old car seems a bit of a waste unless it’s a real hard desire. There seem to be quite a few of each description on something like Autotrader, but I do know a cherished and looked after vehicle can be as good as new to the owner.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Russ59 said:

I quite agree Ant, although I’ve had a few hiccups with mine since I got it, it’s NO banger 😲😲

I did say “almost banger material” 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

Kind regards 

Anthony 

The RX300 we used to own was brilliant up until we sold it, but it was about twelve years old when we sold it and was beginning to get a bit rusty around the rear subframe and components even then, if we had kept it until now I am sure it would be nearing banger material by now tbh, no matter how good originally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boxbrownie said:

There are a few rusty examples for sale but it's still possible to find a decent one without breaking the bank as so many have been properly maintained. 

• Like 1

I think 'banger' should more appropriately be applied to a cars condition rather than it's age.  There are owners who spend a great deal on maintaining them to a very high standard or in a small number of cases rebuilding like new.  We then find some of these increase vary much in value as for example an E Type, one of the DB series of Aston Martin or even my old Maserati Indy which I sold for £7K and a pretty decent one will now cost upwards of ten times that amount.  Some other cars have begun to appreciate also. Of course rarity begins to become an increasing  factor too. So I think the rather derogatory term 'banger' should not be made arbitrarily

• Like 2

And if you read my posts both variables are covered and acknowledged but just because we are in a Lexus forum you can’t deny there can be some very neglected and poorly maintained examples as well, especially as the age of the vehicle rises.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Neil E said:

There are a few rusty examples for sale but it's still possible to find a decent one without breaking the bank as so many have been properly maintained. 

If course there are, but most probably won’t be it’s just a matter of numbers.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links