Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen replacement

BrettMRC

Has anyone on here had their screen replaced yet?

Have you had any issues post installation?

Mine now needs doing after a hefty impact on Monday, Lexus have said to just use a mainstream windscreen firm via my insurers as they don't employ any fitters...

(I'll also need the bonnet repairing/respraying from the same stone/rock/asteroid!)

Thanks in advance! 😇

39 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

Has anyone on here had their screen replaced yet?

Have you had any issues post installation?

Mine now needs doing after a hefty impact on Monday, Lexus have said to just use a mainstream windscreen firm via my insurers as they don't employ any fitters...

(I'll also need the bonnet repairing/respraying from the same stone/rock/asteroid!)

Thanks in advance! 😇

No sorry

Keep us informed, would be good to know if it’s straight forward or more complicated. Not nice to have to replace it on such a new vehicle 

• Like 1

I wouldnt think many LC500's have

Likely it will be a Lexus genuine screen but you will need the radar and safety systems calibrating afterwards. 

What colour is yours? The Sonic red is a PITA to respray as are most of the 4 stage colours

• Like 1

Yes, I could see availability being an issue. As your car is "brand new" I should get the screen and paint done via Lexus. It might cost more but on a £100K car...

• Like 1

I'll get the bonnet done via Lexus, but they have categorically stated they do not do their own windscreen replacements - so this could be fun!

Maybe I should see if I can book them in to do the replacement on site at the dealer?  🤔

1 hour ago, BrettMRC said:

I'll get the bonnet done via Lexus, but they have categorically stated they do not do their own windscreen replacements - so this could be fun!

Maybe I should see if I can book them in to do the replacement on site at the dealer?  🤔

How about contacting another Lexus dealer? Or Lexus UK.

You are lucky. In UK your have other Lexus dealers. Here we have one and no matter how bad/good it is there, that is what we have, if we do not want to go an a 48 hour boat trip to mainland Spain.

• Like 1

Had the windscreen replaced on my RC last year and it went without a hitch, once they managed to get a screen! Appointment was put back three times as they waited for delivery from Lexus EU.

My dealership also stated they don't replace windscreens and they don't recalibrate the ADAS either. That was contracted out to a firm that does nothing but ADAS and it took them 2 days!

Make sure you get the system recalibrated, not just road tested by the windscreen fitter.

• Like 1

It's got to go into one of the glass fitting centres specifically because of the sensors, so I'm guessing they have learnt that the hard way now! 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Todays replacement was aborted due to them not realising the lower panel and side trims are essentially sacrificial; they have contacted a partner firm in the USA that has done a screen change on an LC500 to confirm the additional parts.

A bit of a faff, but actually the approach of the guys from autoglass has been flawless - they are not going to start a job they can't finish, and they are super careful.

Will update when the job finally gets done! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Winston said:

It would be interesting to know

possibly just a little less than the price of a new car maybe :unsure:

sounds an amazingly complex procedure and " sacrificial " adjacent parts seem a tad under-designed .....  or maybe overly so to ensure £££££ spent at Lexus 

Malc

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally completed this morning! 🙂

Turns out the main issue isnt the side trims, but the one-use clips that retain them. (x10)

The scuttle cover is sacrificial though.

25 minutes ago, BrettMRC said:

Finally completed this morning! 🙂

Turns out the main issue isnt the side trims, but the one-use clips that retain them. (x10)

The scuttle cover is sacrificial though.

Great news and seems you are happy with the job. Time to get back in a take a drive. 👍

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, Malc said:

sounds an amazingly complex procedure and " sacrificial " adjacent parts seem a tad under-designed .....  or maybe overly so to ensure £££££ spent at Lexus 

Malc

When my RC was repaired following a rear ending,they had to remove the 2 rear side fixed triangular windows to match/blend the sonic red paint.The 2 windows and bronze trim were sacrificial.

21 minutes ago, DavidCM said:

When my RC was repaired following a rear ending,they had to remove the 2 rear side fixed triangular windows

I can understand bits and bobs with a smash    BUT     this is s standard windscreeen replacement  :whistling:

Malc

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Thought I'd give this a little bump with info I forgot to add last year!

Since the replacement the top of the drivers side A pillar trim keeps popping up; I've noticed on some other LC groups that this has been an issue from new on some peoples cars in the USA - it's being looked at by Lexus when it goes in for the first service next week.

The other annoyances that I discovered were a slight mark, (looks a little like a knurling imprint) on the steering wheel and a tear in the bulkhead rubber that goes along the top of the firewall.  (I can live with these, but it just shows that after a windscreen replacement you have got to check everywhere for damage.  I was so concerned about damage to the paint and carbon I forgot to check other areas at the time of collection.

• Thanks 1

Useful stuff to have recorded on here especially the parts list.
I had a windscreen done on the drive a few years ago - all seemed good until the next time I cleaned the car I realised the sheet they’d ‘protected’ the bonnet with was so full of shards of glass from previous jobs it was as good as sandpaper - both mirrors looked like they’d been attacked with a Brillo pad.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2023 at 2:30 PM, BrettMRC said:

Thought I'd give this a little bump with info I forgot to add last year!

Since the replacement the top of the drivers side A pillar trim keeps popping up; I've noticed on some other LC groups that this has been an issue from new on some peoples cars in the USA - it's being looked at by Lexus when it goes in for the first service next week.

The other annoyances that I discovered were a slight mark, (looks a little like a knurling imprint) on the steering wheel and a tear in the bulkhead rubber that goes along the top of the firewall.  (I can live with these, but it just shows that after a windscreen replacement you have got to check everywhere for damage.  I was so concerned about damage to the paint and carbon I forgot to check other areas at the time of collection.

I have had that A pillar trim off and the clip is a bit confusing when you want to put it back in - it might be that its not be realigned properly.

The windscreen looks to be $750 which isnt too bad. Not like some of the other part prices I have looked into.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links