Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus quality control (faults)

The boot space for the UX could, I imagine be made bigger, or have more useful space. The hidden well could be made deeper in the 2nd version, this is the major deficiency of the car. 

Lexus need to be able to be ordered from new with smaller wheels, eg 20” wheels on NX/RX mean few replacement tyre choices, poor ride comfort and high risk of wheel damage. Replacement set of smaller wheels and tyres are maybe £2.5k.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, NemesisUK said:

That's just business, costs are calculated to provide income and it works, or they would rapidly go out of business!  Service cost should be considered when deciding to purchase a car 

There's some massive profit margins associated with the servicing costs at Lexus though. 

I managed to get 3 services at Mercedes including a gearbox fluid change for £1k with their discount. Lexus now appear to be reluctant to give discounts and costs over £1.2k for 3 services on an RX which includes a lot of inspection rather than replacement.

13 hours ago, bigglesfllesundone said:

The boot space for the UX could, I imagine be made bigger, or have more useful space. The hidden well could be made deeper in the 2nd version, this is the major deficiency of the car. 

Lexus need to be able to be ordered from new with smaller wheels, eg 20” wheels on NX/RX mean few replacement tyre choices, poor ride comfort and high risk of wheel damage. Replacement set of smaller wheels and tyres are maybe £2.5k.

Disagree on both accounts

The ride is perfectly balanced on the 20" wheels that these vehicles have. There is no increased risk of damage in my opinion on these wheels. They have a fairly chunky 55 profile sidewall anyway. Ive just bought tyres for my RX - there are a good 6-7 options. If it was 2 or 3 that would be entirely a different story

Some interesting reading here on Vehicle and Manufacturer reliability ratings from the team at What Car.  Lexus scores highly along with Toyota but both get dinged frequently for Battery issues.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-what-car-reliability-survey-large-suvs/n23405

First cold morning of the year today which reminded me of an annoying fault. The tyre warning light activating when the tyres are at low temp. I think I had this on my CT's as well so maybe a general Lexus thing. If you go on a decent run first thing or start up again when the temps a bit warmer the light has always gone off.

2 minutes ago, Beduffshirl said:

First cold morning of the year today which reminded me of an annoying fault. The tyre warning light activating when the tyres are at low temp. I think I had this on my CT's as well so maybe a general Lexus thing. If you go on a decent run first thing or start up again when the temps a bit warmer the light has always gone off.

Just as annoying on my Ls600 and it takes about 20 miles to go off even though the tyres, according to the indicator, warm long before then. 😤

5 minutes ago, Beduffshirl said:

Air expands as it warms and contracts when it is cool. This might explain what you thihnk is a Lexus fault.

2 minutes ago, Beduffshirl said:

Lower temperature = lower pressure. Tyres often need some air added at this time of year, therefore, your tyre warning light is probably doing it's job.

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Bill said:

Lower temperature = lower pressure. Tyres often need some air added at this time of year, therefore, your tyre warning light is probably doing it's job.

Yes but shouldn't the warning light, etc., go off once the tyres are up to pressure?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Mine goes off when warm without the need to add air.

All in all the TPM is something I can easily do without...... In fact I'd be happy to pay not to have it!

15 minutes ago, GEN said:

All in all the TPM is something I can easily do without...... In fact I'd be happy to pay not to have it!

You just live in the wrong country.

Only had that problem here once when a nail was in the rear left tyre and I would not have noticed it had the light not been on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Las Palmas said:

You just live in the wrong country.

Only had that problem here once when a nail was in the rear left tyre and I would not have noticed it had the light not been on.

But you would have done soon enough old friend.🤣

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Tyre pressures are always specified for cold tyres. If tyres only reached the specified pressure after driving some distance they are under inflated.

A tyre pressure warning system is a requirement for cars fitted with runflat tyres so the driver knows that speed and distance driven has to be restricted: https://www.national.co.uk/information/run-flat-tyres 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Bill said:

Tyre pressures are always specified for cold tyres. If tyres only reached the specified pressure after driving some distance they are under inflated.

A tyre pressure warning system is a requirement for cars fitted with runflat tyres so the driver knows that speed and distance driven has to be restricted: https://www.national.co.uk/information/run-flat-tyres 

Agree with you that tyre pressures are specified for cold tyres but how cold?  Specifically on a cold day they'll be slightly under inflated at start whereas the next day being warmer the pressures will be fine.  I have personally had this, so the answer is.....?

My car has never had and I do not think it was designed for runflat tyres so the TPM not a requirement.

42 minutes ago, GEN said:

so the answer is.....?

Cold means they haven't been warmed up by being driven on, or heated by direct sunlight. Pressure only moves around 1 PSI for every 10 degrees so it isn't super critical one day to the next. But the different between the height of summer and the depths of winter is enough to readjust your tyre pressures (and see a low pressure warning come if they were set in summer and it is now cold outside).

Personally I'd set them early morning on an average temperature day for the time of year. Don't do it on an abnormally cold or hot day if it can be helped.

1 hour ago, Roger Bill said:

A tyre pressure warning system is a requirement for cars fitted with runflat tyres

TPMS is required on all new cars, whether they have standard or runflat tyres. It's been mandatory for several years now.

• Thanks 2

Apparently tyres filled with nitrogen are less affected by temperature changes than air: https://tractionlife.com/nitrogen-vs-air-in-tires-whats-the-main-difference/ Only costs £2.50 per tyre at ATS but I've never bothered, in fact I use a foot pump at home as I'm too tight fisted to spend money on an airline at a petrol station!

The way I read advice such as contained in https://www.tyre-pressures.com/blog/can-weather-or-temperature-affect-tyre-pressure is that tyres should be inflated to the specified pressure in the morning before driving so "cold" relates to the prevailing temperature rather than eg 20°C. Under inflated tyres increase fuel consumption and increase the risk of the tyre over heating when driven. Correctly inflated tyres should optimise tyre life.

2 hours ago, Roger Bill said:

Apparently tyres filled with nitrogen are less affected by temperature changes than air: https://tractionlife.com/nitrogen-vs-air-in-tires-whats-the-main-difference/ Only costs £2.50 per tyre at ATS but I've never bothered, in fact I use a foot pump at home as I'm too tight fisted to spend money on an airline at a petrol station!

The way I read advice such as contained in https://www.tyre-pressures.com/blog/can-weather-or-temperature-affect-tyre-pressure is that tyres should be inflated to the specified pressure in the morning before driving so "cold" relates to the prevailing temperature rather than eg 20°C. Under inflated tyres increase fuel consumption and increase the risk of the tyre over heating when driven. Correctly inflated tyres should optimise tyre life.

I'm very grateful to you for the clarification.  After xx years of driving I may have to break down and get a pump!  😁😤

• 2 weeks later...

All Lexus UX that I have driven (about 5 now including 300e) have a terrible door rattle both driver and passenger side when playing loud music with the bass turned up, it's pretty shocking and even the dealership acknowledged it's a design flaw.

1 hour ago, LordByronUK said:

All Lexus UX that I have driven (about 5 now including 300e) have a terrible door rattle both driver and passenger side when playing loud music with the bass turned up, it's pretty shocking and even the dealership acknowledged it's a design flaw.

Lexus and Loud Music is a contradiction in terms to older Members such as your truly!🤣🤣🤣

On 10/11/2022 at 3:38 PM, Roger Bill said:

It doesn't cost much but I've always felt that filling with nitrogen is just a marketing ploy when applied to ordinary cars. (Formula One may be a different matter.) The fact is, if you fill with ordinary air, that's already about 80% nitrogen.

As I understand it, (correct this if it's wrong!) the nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules so they don't seep through the rubber tyre, whereas the oxygen can gradually escape through the rubber, reducing the tyre pressure.

Much of the remaining 20% in the atmosphere is oxygen. So that gives the potential for up to 20% of the air to seep out. But even if all the 20% escaped, the air that was used to replace it would again be 80% nitrogen. So the original inflation gives you 80% nitrogen and a second inflation to replenish the missing 20% gives you another 80% nitrogen taking the total volume to 96% nitrogen just by inflating the tyre with air and then topping it up once.

So I've never bothered with paying for nitrogen inflation.

8 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

It doesn't cost much but I've always felt that filling with nitrogen is just a marketing ploy when applied to ordinary cars. (Formula One may be a different matter.) The fact is, if you fill with ordinary air, that's already about 80% nitrogen.

As I understand it, (correct this if it's wrong!) the nitrogen molecules are bigger than oxygen molecules so they don't seep through the rubber tyre, whereas the oxygen can gradually escape through the rubber, reducing the tyre pressure.

Much of the remaining 20% in the atmosphere is oxygen. So that gives the potential for up to 20% of the air to seep out. But even if all the 20% escaped, the air that was used to replace it would again be 80% nitrogen. So the original inflation gives you 80% nitrogen and a second inflation to replenish the missing 20% gives you another 80% nitrogen taking the total volume to 96% nitrogen just by inflating the tyre with air and then topping it up once.

So I've never bothered with paying for nitrogen inflation.

My feelings exactly.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links