Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Reserve when 0 miles shown

This is annoying me... I have done o over 60 miles while on zero on motorway so thought id try and work it out. 

Went to zero tonight, was 2 miles from fuel station so went and filled up... Got 37 litres of fuel in... 

So if tank is 55L, that means 18L fuel reserve, which is nearly 4 gallons!!!! 

So at 45mpg, we could get 180 miles with it showing zero!!! 

Why why why.... 

Is yours a hybrid? If so, that's why.

It really is a very bad idea to let a hybrid run out of petrol so presumably they use a big margin to avoid numpties running them dry.

I never let mine get below 1/4 so I neither know nor care how much is in the tank when it hits empty because it never does :laughing:

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Is yours a hybrid? If so, that's why.

It really is a very bad idea to let a hybrid run out of petrol so presumably they use a big margin to avoid numpties running them dry.

I never let mine get below 1/4 so I neither know nor care how much is in the tank when it hits empty because it never does :laughing:

450h+

In my IS300h, I let the miles left indication go to zero ( not deliberately) and drove about 5 miles more then filled up with over 56 litres of fuel, the car only has a 55 litre tank ! 

9 hours ago, imgo said:

then filled up with over 56 litres of fuel, the car only has a 55 litre tank ! 

If true, I would report that petrol filling station.

Faulty pump and someone is making a lot of money short selling petrol.

10 hours ago, imgo said:

In my IS300h, I let the miles left indication go to zero ( not deliberately) and drove about 5 miles more then filled up with over 56 litres of fuel, the car only has a 55 litre tank ! 

The IS 300h has a 66 litre fuel tank. About 10 litres left when showing zero on the computer is about same as I have found. With careful driving that's nearly 100 miles in reserve when showing empty. 

• Thanks 1

my ancient Ls400 always gives me another 100 miles when the orange " empty'ish" light shows  .

the needle does actually drop right to the bottom when I'm running her on orange for any length of time ...  I try not to, it's a bit fearsome worrying about breaking down for lack of spending a few bob on petrol

.....tank holds 80.1 ltrs they tell me 

Malc

52 minutes ago, wharfhouse said:

The IS 300h has a 66 litre fuel tank. About 10 litres left when showing zero on the computer is about same as I have found. With careful driving that's nearly 100 miles in reserve when showing empty. 

I have always thought it was 55 litres, thanks for the info.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, imgo said:

I have always thought it was 55 litres, thanks for the info.

As the IS was also sold as a normal ICE they left a large fuel tank in place which I like as it means with the hybrid, I can get close to 600 miles out of a tankful before refilling - that means for example I can get from home (Berkshire) to Oban in Scotland without having to stop on the motorway at rip-off fuel prices or have to divert to find a cheaper filling station. On later cars they seem to have shrunk the fuel tank quite a lot so that the range is down to perhaps 400 miles which is IMHO a shame as I really like the long-distance capabilities of the large tank.

• Like 2

To me, it's a strange thing to worry about. What would worry me is that if that 18 litres is always in reserve, wouldn't it had gone off by now, rendering it useless if it was ever needed.......

51 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

What would worry me is that if that 18 litres is always in reserve, wouldn't it had gone off by now, rendering it useless if it was ever needed.......

It's just one tank so every time you refill, the car will be running on a mix of the new fill and whatever was in the tank previously.

• 7 months later...

I have an NX450H+ too and same reading occurs on mine when filling up. Great to have safety margin, however it would be better for LEXUS to advice this or sort out the computer to read correctly.

With my NX450H+, with 3 bars left on the "guess o meter", the tank took 32.8 liters before click.
Reserve is quite hefty (around 12 to 15 liters)...once you know you can be more relax.

On the other hand, never fill it past the "click" or you may damage your vapor charcoal filter system 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NiCoRe said:

On the other hand, never fill it past the "click" or you may damage your vapor charcoal filter system 

Yet again you have given me information about things I would never have thought of. 
Thank you. 

On 9/27/2022 at 8:06 PM, Bish1402 said:

This is annoying me... I have done o over 60 miles while on zero on motorway so thought id try and work it out. 

Went to zero tonight, was 2 miles from fuel station so went and filled up... Got 37 litres of fuel in... 

So if tank is 55L, that means 18L fuel reserve, which is nearly 4 gallons!!!! 

So at 45mpg, we could get 180 miles with it showing zero!!! 

Why why why.... 

Good that it is enough to get you to a place to refill before it runs dry.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links