Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Graham Wilkinson

Just purchased a 20 year old Lexus SC 430 Convertible.It is in exceptional condition and has covered 68k miles.I live in Kendal Cumbria and need to get the vehicle serviced.Would any member be kind enough to suggest a good garage in the Northwest?

Also the headlight acrylic is slightly misty any suggestions how to clean them please?

Many thanks.Graham Wilkinson( New Member)

• Like 2

If you want an excellent independent garage with great mechanics who do a great job at reasonable prices, I can highly recommend:

Ribble View Garage
2A Rough Hey Road
Grimsargh
Preston
PR2 5AR
01772 798856

Just tell them that John, the guy with long hair and the red Lexus RX recommended them :thumbsup:

By the way, they have a 5* rating on Google Reviews (5/5 from 43 reviewers).

If you prefer to go to a Lexus dealer, Lexus Preston are also excellent but probably double the price of Ribble View.

As for the headlights, a 3M or Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit are what you need and there are plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how it's done.

• Like 3

hi and welcome to this forum

There's other posts on plastic headlamp cleaning BUT I have recently been using a T-Cut product at £6.99 from Halfords  ..  on my Honda Legend ............ it's not a bad result but they do sell a much more expensive T-Cut product too which i haven't experienced 

My Ls400 has glass lenses thankfully

Good luck with your way forward with the plastic lenses and above all, ENJOY you lovely car

Malc

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

If you want an excellent independent garage with great mechanics who do a great job at reasonable prices, I can highly recommend:

Ribble View Garage
2A Rough Hey Road
Grimsargh
Preston
PR2 5AR
01772 798856

Just tell them that John, the guy with long hair and the red Lexus RX recommended them :thumbsup:

By the way, they have a 5* rating on Google Reviews (5/5 from 43 reviewers).

If you prefer to go to a Lexus dealer, Lexus Preston are also excellent but probably double the price of Ribble View.

As for the headlights, a 3M or Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit are what you need and there are plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how it's done.

Hi Herbs. Do you use Ribble View Garage for your RX450H? If so, do you also take it to Lexus once a year for the hybrid check re the 15 year warranty? Thanks.

26 minutes ago, JeffL said:

Hi Herbs. Do you use Ribble View Garage for your RX450H? If so, do you also take it to Lexus once a year for the hybrid check re the 15 year warranty? Thanks.

In the past I had a 2005 RX300 and a 2013 RX450h and would take those to Ribble View for most things and then have the HHC done at Lexus. However, I now have a 2018 RX (got it 18 months ago and it was the newest car I've ever had) that I have a service plan with Lexus for. Once it gets to about 7 or 8 years old I'll start taking it to Ribble View because there's no point in spending main dealer money on an old car.

• Like 3

Hi Graham

Welcome to Lexus Owners Club and congratulations on your wise decision to buy what I believe is the best convertible ever made!

Please show us pictures of your pride and joy and we hope to see it in the flesh at the SC meet next year!

I use Lexus Leeds for my services and have nothing but praise for them. I have a service contract with them so I can speead the cost. I know many will disagree with me but I think it is worth the higher service cost because I believe they give me value for money.

I did my headlight lenses after buying my car and would not recommend the Ispon kit but would agree with Herbs the the Meguiar's is a far superior product.

I would say that masking the car up is really important, don't freak out when they go totally opaque during the process and ensure that you don't linger too long and overheat the plastic which can make them worse!

20210728_130900.thumb.jpg.80f1e4dc80a33f95fbf9b026e3741fa5.jpg

I found upgrading to LED's made a great improvement to the performance and cosmetic aspect of the units.

20211002_165254.thumb.jpg.fc9e4f6c53bfa3e9559b12767c644d3b.jpg

Hope you enjoy you new car 

Kind regards, Anthony 

• Like 2

Hi Graham 

I hope you have managed to make the right decision for you regarding servicing. I procrastinated about using Lexus Stockport or Lexus Leeds as I live exactly betwixt them.

Wait until the sun shines next year and you can explore all those beautiful roads in the Lake District, it will be a true joy!

Enjoy, Anthony 

Thanks Anthony,

Have decided to get it serviced at Lexus Preston.As a club member I got 20% discount so will see how this goes.Thanks,we love it, it is our picnic car.Don’t want to use it until it has had a full comprehensive service.

Appreciated Graham.

• Like 2

Hi Graham

I was the same, I had never bought a car with 85k and it was an unknown quantity as to the quality of service and if corners had been cut.

Mine went straight into Lexus Leeds and as experts they found and rectified concerns. Since they have looked after it I now have confidence in my car to do any road trip.

Enjoy your picnics and have fun!

Anthony

Good Evening All,

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive comments.

As I have owned the vehicle for 2weeks is all seems going well and I await the sting in the tail.

I noticed the car mists up internally when it has been raining  heavily.

I have found on the boot folding shelf small amounts of water.

Perhaps a seal or two has failed,any guidance or pinpointing would be appreciated.Is not major so hopefully easy to rectify.

Many Thanks Graham.

• Like 1

Hi Graham 

Don't look for the sting....just enjoy! 😁

Steaming up

It may be basic but you haven't got the system on recycle, also in poor weather I always drive with the air con switched on.

Water ingress into boot

Have a look at the boot seal at the back under the rear window, it's usually that which causes the problem. Ensure it is clear of any debris which would impede the flow of water around to the sides and away.

The seal on mine was pushed onto double sided tape on the flange and was well stuck, it didn't feel right to pull it off to clean, check and lubricate without incurring more work possibly for no reason.

In  each back corner there are drain holes which allow water into the little catchment trays and out through the drain pipe.

So, clean the channel and the seal looking for seal damage or poor fitting, make sure the drain holes are clear, then lubricate the seal very well so it is supple. I would recommend Shin Etsu grease which isn't cheap but I have found it to be fabulous. Then retest.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards, Anthony 

Screenshot_20221015-073508_eBay.thumb.jpg.25f3bba253a4374a100c772691ded49a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Hi Graham 

Don't look for the sting....just enjoy! 😁

Steaming up

It may be basic but you haven't got the system on recycle, also in poor weather I always drive with the air con switched on.

Water ingress into boot

Have a look at the boot seal at the back under the rear window, it's usually that which causes the problem. Ensure it is clear of any debris which would impede the flow of water around to the sides and away.

The seal on mine was pushed onto double sided tape on the flange and was well stuck, it didn't feel right to pull it off to clean, check and lubricate without incurring more work possibly for no reason.

In  each back corner there are drain holes which allow water into the little catchment trays and out through the drain pipe.

So, clean the channel and the seal looking for seal damage or poor fitting, make sure the drain holes are clear, then lubricate the seal very well so it is supple. I would recommend Shin Etsu grease which isn't cheap but I have found it to be fabulous. Then retest.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards, Anthony 

Screenshot_20221015-073508_eBay.thumb.jpg.25f3bba253a4374a100c772691ded49a.jpg

As per Anthony above, plus

check your cabin air filter and ALWAYS keep your air conditioning on. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, royoftherovers said:

As per Anthony above, plus

check your cabin air filter and ALWAYS keep your air conditioning on. 

I know I just had a major or big service but had long time before ordered a filter carbon etc. super filter and replaced the filter. Surprise, surprise, the filter I took out looked pristine, so they did change it and not just look at the car outside and say it is serviced. So now I have a OEM filter that is new and will see if there is any difference in anything when driving with a new carbon coal etc. filter ( Quality Activated Carbon Pollen Cabin Air Filter for LEXUS CT 200H ( ZWA10 ) UK ) that is quite a lot heavier than the Lexus/Toyota I just took out. They also changed 4L of Lexus Hybrid oil which I do not know what is. The 4.4 L Helix Motor oil they changed I know what is.

Could Hybrid oil be gearbox oil?

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links