Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So E10 has finally got to N. Ireland. I run mine on super and my nearest station is 5miles away that does it. You would think all stations should be made to stock E5 as there are so many cars here not suitable for E10 like mine 

1 hour ago, Spark plug said:

You would think all stations should be made to stock E5

they all don't have the storage capacity ......  my local Asda stores don't have E5 , nor some of my Sainsbury's either and the likes of BP, well, last weekend I filled up with E5 and the difference in price was a staggering 14p a ltr rather than the usual 7p or 8p

The island of Ireland probably has some further limitations with storage and volumes of types of fuel being sold too

Good luck with it all ....  my E5 garages i now know locally here in my part of Kent

Malc

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

they all don't have the storage capacity ......  my local Asda stores don't have E5 , nor some of my Sainsbury's either and the likes of BP, well, last weekend I filled up with E5 and the difference in price was a staggering 14p a ltr rather than the usual 7p or 8p

The island of Ireland probably has some further limitations with storage and volumes of types of fuel being sold too

Good luck with it all ....  my E5 garages i now know locally here in my part of Kent

Malc

I'm making a list 

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Ethanol absorbs water which is not good for the fuel system. And damages rubber and plastic parts that all fuel systems have 

I think that damage from E10 is way exaggerated. I used to run E85 without any issues.

The only issue I see is that E10 is objectively inferior fuel compared to 100% petrol or E5, yet it costs the same or even more than 95 Octane E5 it replaced. Simply said it is scam - you get less fuel, thus worse MPG and still pay the same or more. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lexus advise only cars from 2008 onwards to use E10. Id recommend everyone to use E5 regardless as it doesn't seem to like E10. My car on E5 car doesn't feel as smooth overall, throttle response is dull and MPG is worse. I pay the extra 6p per litre for Tescos momentum E5 with the odd Vpower fill up here n there. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 4:40 PM, J Henderson said:

If you have a Tesco filling station nearby, the E5/E10 price difference is only about 5 or 6p.

And if you factor in the 1-2% loss in mileage as advised by the government that takes the difference down to about 3p.

• Like 1

I use Esso fuel in my SC 430 2007 model V8...

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing you guys can do as an alternative is to buy some E10 additives like I do, adding it for every 1 litre of fuel to 1ml is how I do it and it seems to improve my economy and power to similar levels of E5 without the extortionate 17p difference. Ive stocked up on 4 cans of Mannol E10 additive as it's much more cost effective adding the additive to E10 at the pump vs E5 straight from the pump. if you want to try it a trip to Halfords can get you a bottle for £10 roughly or alot cheaper if you go for the one I get off eBay

1 hour ago, McShmoopy said:

is to buy some E10 additives

the " normal " E5 uplift in price is 6 or 7 pence / ltr   ..  how does this compare to the suggested additive cost per ltr of fuel ?

Thanks

Malc

On 12/5/2022 at 5:44 PM, Malc1 said:

the " normal " E5 uplift in price is 6 or 7 pence / ltr   ..  how does this compare to the suggested additive cost per ltr of fuel ?

Thanks

Malc

Hi Malc

If the E5 difference is only 6 or 7 pence for pure convenience it may work out better to get it straight via the pump. Where I am theres a close to 20p difference in the Nottingham area so not that I've done any calculations but the additive seems to make sense. 250ml of it will cost me an average of a Fiver from eBay from Mannol, I can get close to 5 full tanks with that so while I haven't done a calculation as such it seems to make sense.

A little trick I do, add it to my basket / watch list and they discount the item further for me on eBay!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304000681567?hash=item46c7da465f:g:4xQAAOSwdihgoqQY&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4D6vckphwxd0UF3Fouh7sitPhWfPNSVdpnRGJGzhWBCK0Pz1ynpM21n8kGknlipJz8sBe9xuukO6OC8ZbF%2FUrNSNRLcNY3RJvx49jSv2j3zlpd7d7GdyNJYoG3HEj5Vde2a9OwkeQkqwalA4VBXYJBmdSpOR%2FR8%2B2YRUML3u02TvaVAdc6AhJDRIhKfL9%2F%2Bg6HexHApb%2FUvJUcYutHipAZOnF92qR4SxJprjprPrqjIRzbpuJkyiB2UQeRW4k8gWvVKIE%2BXjbm7%2BUSbCy2wTvJ1myCRXUckDdMlDtJOUdLTF|tkp%3ABFBM1MiuxJ1h

• Like 1

Has anyone noticed a change in mpg with any of these additives?

I've stuck with E5 and, for last year, have averaged just over 30mpg. However, on my last fill up I happened to be in Sainsburys and all they had was E10. Since then my mpg since last fillup has been low to mid 20s.

I don't know if it's E10 that's the problem, or whether it's specifically Sainsburys fuel. I'll be curious to see what I get after the next fill up, which will be Esso E5.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:16 PM, Bluemarlin said:

I've stuck with E5 and, for last year, have averaged just over 30mpg. However, on my last fill up I happened to be in Sainsburys and all they had was E10. Since then my mpg since last fillup has been low to mid 20s.

I don't know if it's E10 that's the problem, or whether it's specifically Sainsburys fuel. I'll be curious to see what I get after the next fill up, which will be Esso E5.

Last couple of weeks my MPG has been pretty pathetic as well - I put it down to the winter weather which means

• oil takes longer to heat up so it stays viscous for longer - more friction. (this will be more of an impact if you mainly do short trips)
  • engine takes longer to reach operating temperature so the ECU keeps high idle RPMs and a higher air fuel ratio for longer
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 9:16 PM, Bluemarlin said:

Not done any science with it or rough calculations but I have noticed significantly more time between fuel ups when doing a full tank or even the acursed tenner / £20 fill up. This was far better in the summer as compared to colder weather the fuel economy will naturally decline. I have been pretty lazy with the additives recently and not added any and with E10 the fuel just does not last compared to with an additive. From my understanding the E10 is less energy dense by about 60 to 70% which would indicate a third less energy so therefore a third less in range? 

26 minutes ago, AFlex said:

Last couple of weeks my MPG has been pretty pathetic as well - I put it down to the winter weather which means

• oil takes longer to heat up so it stays viscous for longer - more friction. (this will be more of an impact if you mainly do short trips)
  • engine takes longer to reach operating temperature so the ECU keeps high idle RPMs and a higher air fuel ratio for longer

AFlex has put it better than I ever could haha. 

• Like 1

All those comments makes sense, although I didn't notice a drop last winter, even when I was in Europe, in proper snowy conditions for a week or so. My average for the last 15 months has hovered around 30 mpg, whilst my last tankful average is hovering around 22/23.

It would be logical for the cooler temperatures to have an effect though, so I'll put it down to a combination of that and the E10. Maybe ethanol fuel is more impacted by the cold? I'll probably fill up again before Xmas, so will go back to the Esso E5, and see if/how much it improves.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally needed top up again, and so went back to Esso E5. The average on the Sainsbury's  E10 tankful was between 22-25 mpg,  and since filling up at Esso it's now back at around 31 mpg. Make of that what you will.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links