Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 years in. Well nearly.

Turn of the year marks 4 years with my GSF. Thought I'd put thoughts (ramblings) down to mark the occasion.

Bought it with 28500 miles on the clock from Charles Hurst in Belfast. Its a may 2016 car so mileage was a little higher than average, but knew this would settle and return to below average during my ownership.

Had a cracking drive to Stranraer from Newcastle in my old ISF which was traded in, and then the return trip to get used to the 'new' car on the way home.  It was bought unseen, and to be honest I needn't have been worried as the car was unmarked, and in cracking nick.  Only downside is that the dealer had fitted a new set Hankook evo2 tyres all round to replace the std fit Michelins - wasn't exactly a deal breaker.

So now at 50,000 miles what's gone wrong, nothing really, however it blotted its copy book a couple of weeks ago by not starting outside of a garage when I was looking for a new car. Thankfully the techs at the garage gave me a jump start and a new Battery was duly ordered and fitted by Lexus.  To be honest, this was probably my fault as it has done only 1500 miles since its MOT in May, and sits for sometimes up to a couple of weeks unused if I'm travelling with work.  It is understandable for a 6 year old Battery to struggle, expecting it to work under this type of (ab)use.

It's been serviced on the button with Lexus Newcastle and Teesside (both highly recommended) and outside the serviceable parts, the only other consumables its had are a TPMS sensor, as one was leaking, and a bracket for one of the rear parking sensors as it was a bit loose (is this a consumable?), set of windscreen wipers, front brake pads, and new Michelin pilot 4s tyres (which make it steer much better than the hankooks- believe it or not).

It's brilliant, dependable and I still think it's a really special place when you get in it - the seats are excellent which helps. Comfortable, fast, built like a bank vault, discreet, exclusive (only ever seen 1 other on the road in 4 years), and honestly economy is not bad, 30 MPG on a schlep down the motorway, high teens round the doors, an average, according to the car of 22.4 MPG since I've had it and at 4 years the longest I've kept a daily driver, ever.

It is the perfect antidote to the POS my wife has as her car - Jaguar I-Pace.....

But all good things as they say......

Choosing the GSF was an easy choice when I was looking to change my ISF. No brainer. Changing the GSF is difficult, and that's why it's lasted so long. Lexus don't do a mid/large quick saloon, if they did I be in one now. I'm not 100% on the LC500.  I think the LC500 is very very colour and spec sensitive and at the price point for a later car,  is in a very competitive market. The LC is a bit of cruiser, my choice of 2 door coupe would be little more 'sporty' and have the engine in the wrong place, and even though I'm in my 50's I don't play golf and I think (probably wrongly) the LC carries some of that image.

My time with my GSF is alas coming to an end but not immediately, I've a couple of options on order for the new year, both petrol, no bloody Battery assist or any of that garbage. I'll probably keep the GSF in case I don't get on with the first of the new cars, that's only going to last til early summer anyway, until the other car arrives which surprisingly will be a manual.  

I only hope the future choices will be as dependable as the GSF - doubt it though. It is disappointing that Lexus don't have a straight forward choice for me to replace the GSF, as its been so refreshing not having to complain about poor reliability, build quality, repairs and customer service that I've had with past cars. Time will tell.

5E42416A-F229-4ECD-9775-048574EE2279.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Killysprint said:

Turn of the year marks 4 years with my GSF. Thought I'd put thoughts (ramblings) down to mark the occasion.

Bought it with 28500 miles on the clock from Charles Hurst in Belfast. Its a may 2016 car so mileage was a little higher than average, but knew this would settle and return to below average during my ownership.

Had a cracking drive to Stranraer from Newcastle in my old ISF which was traded in, and then the return trip to get used to the 'new' car on the way home.  It was bought unseen, and to be honest I needn't have been worried as the car was unmarked, and in cracking nick.  Only downside is that the dealer had fitted a new set hankook evo2 tyres all round to replace the std fit Michelins - wasn't exactly a deal breaker.

So now at 50,000 miles what's gone wrong, nothing really, however it blotted its copy book a couple of weeks ago by not starting outside of a garage when I was looking for a new car. Thankfully the techs at the garage gave me a jump start and a new battery was duly ordered and fitted by Lexus.  To be honest, this was probably my fault as it has done only 1500 miles since its MOT in May, and sits for sometimes up to a couple of weeks unused if I'm travelling with work.  It is understandable for a 6 year old battery to struggle, expecting it to work under this type of (ab)use.

It's been serviced on the button with Lexus Newcastle and Teesside (both highly recommended) and outside the serviceable parts, the only other consumables its had are a TPMS sensor, as one was leaking, and a bracket for one of the rear parking sensors as it was a bit loose (is this a consumable?), set of windscreen wipers, front brake pads, and new Michelin pilot 4s tyres (which make it steer much better than the hankooks- believe it or not).

It's brilliant, dependable and I still think it's a really special place when you get in it - the seats are excellent which helps. Comfortable, fast, built like a bank vault, discreet, exclusive (only ever seen 1 other on the road in 4 years), and honestly economy is not bad, 30 MPG on a schlep down the motorway, high teens round the doors, an average, according to the car of 22.4 MPG since I've had it and at 4 years the longest I've kept a daily driver, ever.

It is the perfect antidote to the POS my wife has as her car - Jaguar I-Pace.....

But all good things as they say......

Choosing the GSF was an easy choice when I was looking to change my ISF. No brainer. Changing the GSF is difficult, and that's why it's lasted so long. Lexus don't do a mid/large quick saloon, if they did I be in one now. I'm not 100% on the LC500.  I think the LC500 is very very colour and spec sensitive and at the price point for a later car,  is in a very competitive market. The LC is a bit of cruiser, my choice of 2 door coupe would be little more 'sporty' and have the engine in the wrong place, and even though I'm in my 50's I don't play golf and I think (probably wrongly) the LC carries some of that image.

My time with my GSF is alas coming to an end but not immediately, I've a couple of options on order for the new year, both petrol, no bloody battery assist or any of that garbage. I'll probably keep the GSF in case I don't get on with the first of the new cars, that's only going to last til early summer anyway, until the other car arrives which surprisingly will be a manual.  

I only hope the future choices will be as dependable as the GSF - doubt it though. It is disappointing that Lexus don't have a straight forward choice for me to replace the GSF, as its been so refreshing not having to complain about poor reliability, build quality, repairs and customer service that I've had with past cars. Time will tell.

5E42416A-F229-4ECD-9775-048574EE2279.jpeg

If you don’t mind me asking, why change at all in that case?  Was looking at an LC500 today at Lexus Newcastle and in exotic company it doesn’t quite compete at the cost it demands for me quite yet!

@Jgtcracer I don’t need a big car anymore, my kids are up and away, and my wife has a larger car if we need it.

It’s time for change and the two cars I’ve got on order are brand new models and tick the right boxes. And my wife says I can have one!! 

M3 touring and a 911 carrera T manual.

Always thought BMW should have done a m3 touring, had a M5 touring in the past, so when they announced that the M3T was being launched I thought I’d have one.

carrera T probably will be dismissed as a marketing man’s dream. Combined with the fact the wait for one is 6 months against a std carrera and carrera s which is 24 months, and think it’ll be cracking car as a manual. Reviews so far are on both extremely positive, and if I don’t get on with either - even with the current economic climate - they’ll be relatively easy to move on as demand will be high.

35 minutes ago, Killysprint said:

@Jgtcracer I don’t need a big car anymore, my kids are up and away, and my wife has a larger car if we need it.

It’s time for change and the two cars I’ve got on order are brand new models and tick the right boxes. And my wife says I can have one!! 

M3 touring and a 911 carrera T manual.

Always thought BMW should have done a m3 touring, had a M5 touring in the past, so when they announced that the M3T was being launched I thought I’d have one.

carrera T probably will be dismissed as a marketing man’s dream. Combined with the fact the wait for one is 6 months against a std carrera and carrera s which is 24 months, and think it’ll be cracking car as a manual. Reviews so far are on both extremely positive, and if I don’t get on with either - even with the current economic climate - they’ll be relatively easy to move on as demand will be high.

Yea, can’t imagine you will be out of pocket with either should you decide to move them on early, demand for both will be high!

yea, the black LC500 at Newcastle was nice but I want to feel special at £60k+ and although it’s nice, doesn’t stir the groin like others I can think of. Didn’t drive it as don’t see the point wasting their time and my car was in getting its service and the wife wanted to get home.

23 minutes ago, BillNick said:

I have the opposite issue with size.

Love my RCF but struggle getting my daughter (14 months) in the back.

Swap? lol

Is that still rearward facing?  Can imagine the passenger seat will have to be quite far forward

My 2 Grandchildren aged 5 and 7 fit in the rear of my RC hybrid quite easily, using child seats.

I use car seat protectors and a thin yoga mat underneath to avoid indentations in the leather.

Absolutely, with older children such as your grandchildren it would be much easier.

I also put my over carpets on the seat whenever she goes in, which isnt very often to be honest.

Looking forward to when she can get into her forward facing seat by herself lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice post.

I've had my (black as well) GSF for just over 5 years now, and it's been wonderful. Apart from the usual servicing, it's needed a new rubber sunroof seal, a new Battery (think it expired after wearing flat whilst my dad and I fitted the sunroof seal!), and several replacement carbon dashboard bits. That's it. Our local dealership in Hedge End (~Southampton) is consistently excellent.

Despite the ever-increasing road tax (£630 now 😬), I don't want feel the need to replace it. It's been a constant companion through road trips, track days, and is my daily driver. We have other vehicles, but every journey in the GSF feels a little special, and too few cars are like this. 

Long live the GSF!

• Like 4

On 1/6/2023 at 9:09 AM, mrfunex said:

Despite the ever-increasing road tax (£630 now 😬), I don't want feel the need to replace it. It's been a constant companion through road trips, track days, and is my daily driver. We have other vehicles, but every journey in the GSF feels a little special, and too few cars are like this. 

Long live the GSF!

Having a late (Aug) 2017 it is now even more compelling to hang onto it. Just renewed road tax for February and it was just £342 for the 12 months. The rate from August (when it becomes 6 years old) is just £165 per annum which is £55 cheaper than my Honda civic run around!

1 hour ago, Pielight said:

Having a late (Aug) 2017 it is now even more compelling to hang onto it. Just renewed road tax for February and it was just £342 for the 12 months. The rate from August (when it becomes 6 years old) is just £165 per annum which is £55 cheaper than my Honda civic run around!

Thanks for that, mine's SORN at the moment so when I do the direct debit it should be a lot cheaper mines 31/05/2017

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pielight said:

This is good news!!  Not something I considered when buying mine but a pleasant positive.  If only fuel was £0.80!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pielight said:

Does yours have a particulate filter then? I thought it was only the GPF equipped ones that got cheaper tax, or is it based on the date it was manufactured?

9 hours ago, DamianLEX said:

Date manufactured only. Same with other cars with any fuel. 

VED rates are determined by the date the car was first registered, not the date of manufacture..

• Thanks 1

Huh, I thought it must be to do with the newer models having the GPF fitted to bring emissions down. But the reality is a bit more convoluted, but all covered here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

So there are a few RCF/GSF/LC500 out there that still get the more powerful non-GPF engine, but with cheaper tax. 🤯

51 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Huh, I thought it must be to do with the newer models having the GPF fitted to bring emissions down. But the reality is a bit more convoluted, but all covered here: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

So there are a few RCF/GSF/LC500 out there that still get the more powerful non-GPF engine, but with cheaper tax. 🤯

Fml right? 😆

1 hour ago, Rob RCF said:

This just goes to show the hilarity of the current vehicle tax system. Just load the amount onto fuel, ensuring that those who use the roads more / emit more pay for the privilege and be done with it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Yes, I don’t think any GSF was fitted with a GPF and the last two (IIRC) were registered in 2019. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:48 PM, Rob RCF said:

Does yours have a particulate filter then? I thought it was only the GPF equipped ones that got cheaper tax, or is it based on the date it was manufactured?

Determined by the date registered. Before April 2017 the rate was based on emissions only at a life long rate. Between April 2017 and 2022, the emissions bit was paid for in the first year (ie. a whopping £2365 on the GSF) followed by a flat rate of £165 year 2 onwards. However, if the car retail price was more than £40k, you pay an additional £355 from year 2 to 6 (a total of £520). Once the car reaches 6 years old, it reverts to just the £165 flat rate….which means my GSF costs exactly the same as my wife’s 68 plate Renault Captor which is just 900cc and 90 bhp!!

In other words, on post April 17 GSFs, the first owner pays up front for the high emissions penalty, whereas earlier models it is paid for spread over the lifetime of the car. This will likely disproportionately affect the value of many expensive gas guzzling cars in the future, ie pre vs post April 17 registered - £630 vs £165 tax (especially bearing in mind the later models will often have updates and upgrades).

Incidentally I was totally unaware of any of this when I bought my GSF until I later saw the V5 which shows the date when the base rate only is applied, so was very pleasantly surprised.. 

As an example of the above, check out the tax rates under ‘running costs’ in the ads for a 2016 vs 2018 BMW M5.

Ive no idea of changes made in 2022 btw.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202210110635230?sort=relevance&include-delivery-option=on&make=BMW&model=M5&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2016&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=1500&year-from=2016&postcode=pe27de&page=1&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202211081485177?include-delivery-option=on&sort=year-asc&make=BMW&model=M5&year-to=2018&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&year-from=2016&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=pe27de&page=1&journey=PROMOTED_LISTING_JOURNEY&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 10:48 PM, Rob RCF said:

So having had a good look at my exhaust (as a result of this thread) is there any conclusive way of knowing at what point Lexus started fitting the GPFs to the GSF/RCF?  My car is a May 18 car so get cheaper tax but having looked at the exhaust I cant see anything.  Similarly, as a late pre-face lift car it has the 'Plus pack' including heated steering wheel and the larger infotainment screen.  Feels like with so few cars registered in the UK each year and the manufacturing date perhaps being different to registration, that there a few combinations of cars knocking about.

Maybe not as simple as "it was sold in 2018 so it's GPF car"

44 minutes ago, Jgtcracer said:

So having had a good look at my exhaust (as a result of this thread) is there any conclusive way of knowing at what point Lexus started fitting the GPFs to the GSF/RCF?  My car is a May 18 car so get cheaper tax but having looked at the exhaust I cant see anything.  Similarly, as a late pre-face lift car it has the 'Plus pack' including heated steering wheel and the larger infotainment screen.  Feels like with so few cars registered in the UK each year and the manufacturing date perhaps being different to registration, that there a few combinations of cars knocking about.

Maybe not as simple as "it was sold in 2018 so it's GPF car"

I don't think GPF has any bearing on it...it's purely emmisions based and the post April 17 models pay all the emmisions tax the first year rather than it being factored in annually. I guess the rationale was to deter gas guzzlers from being bought new so you'd end up with fewer on the road. Consider someone buying new every couple of years and having to pay £2635 road tax every other year...it would certainly deter some from buying such a car.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links