Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

New Prius 2023

Las Palmas

Toyota’s next Prius hybrid car won’t have a catalytic converter

The popular model is undergoing considerable changes, including the absence of an oft stolen component.

Toyota’s next Prius hybrid car has undergone some substantial changes both inside and out, most notably in that it will no longer have a catalytic converter – one of the most expensive and most frequently stolen parts.

image.thumb.png.ccfadad4a675f27d5f9cfb4c75292e39.png

Prius models from 2004 through 2009 are among the biggest targets for that auto component’s theft.

Thefts of catalytic converters in Prius models are on the rise. According to Highway Loss Data Institute, the theft rate spiked by 40 times in 2020 compared to what it had been four years earlier. The theft of the part is associated with its high price tag, which is the result of the precious metals it contains.

image.thumb.png.e829a6eb1cae67b2a2560ed4efea5c83.png

That said, owners of the 2023 Prius hybrid car won’t have that problem because it won’t have a catalytic converter in the first place. It will also have a larger engine and improved, faster-charging batteries. The 2023 Prius will be a 2.0 litre, compared to the 1.8-liter 2022 model. Moreover, that model will be paired to a new lithium-ion Battery pack instead of the 2022 nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) Battery.

The new Battery will allow the hybrid car to charge more quickly and hold the charge longer.

Beyond faster and longer lasting charge, the new Prius Battery will also improve its performance across various changes in temperature. According to Toyota, the Battery in the 2023 Prius is 14 percent more powerful than the NiMH Battery in the 2022 model.

image.thumb.png.de5f202ea6aa63ba1a781c4adca09da0.png

The body style of the vehicle has also undergone some considerable improvements, being wider with a lower roofline and larger wheels. It has a notable 60 percent more horsepower, 16 percent more torque, and rigidity reinforcements in the frame, improving the overall quality of the ride.

Toyota Prius Chief Engineer Satoki Oya said that the newest Prius hybrid car model won’t contain the rare metals in the quantities seen in previous models. This has the potential to lower its appeal to thieves looking for parts that can be quickly stolen and unloaded for a hefty sum on the black market.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

This sentence doesn't really support the first statement in the article?

I did not write it; I found it and think that it is interesting since the CT is supposedly a Prius in different clothes.

Still, it may be correct that there is no cat in it, rare metals are used in computer parts as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

I did not write it;

I didn't think you had. My point being the chief engineer didn't say there was no cat, just that there was less rare metals present, reducing the appeal to thieves. Thieves that have been targeting cats, not heard of many computer parts being stolen for the rare metals?

I'm curious though as to how the car will comply with EU regulations? That said hybrid vehicles do not undergo emission tests (in the UK a least) presently. Should that change in the future could they pass without cats?

51 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

I didn't think you had. My point being the chief engineer didn't say there was no cat, just that there was less rare metals present, reducing the appeal to thieves. Thieves that have been targeting cats, not heard of many computer parts being stolen for the rare metals?

I'm curious though as to how the car will comply with EU regulations? That said hybrid vehicles do not undergo emission tests (in the UK a least) presently. Should that change in the future could they pass without cats?

Such question you better ask Toyota.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

The CT is a hybrid and here they have emission tests on them. Passed without problems. Has only been tested twice, First 2020 - next 2022 and coming 2024; all October 24

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

The CT is a hybrid and here they have emission tests on them. Passed without problems. Has only been tested twice, First 2020 - next 2022 and coming 2024; all October 24

Not sure how the tester can force the ICE to run to perform the test? 

I really like this car it is a massive leap forward for toyota and proves there is still plenty of life in ICE cars. Over 200hp, great styling and incredibly efficient. This should be a big success.

I do expect more models with this as basis including of course an suv/cross over

It’s impossible to build a petrol car to comply with current regulation without a cat…

If it’s equipped with direct injection you will also need to add GPF (gasoline particle filter), that shouldn’t be such a big problem as the DPF due to working temperatures.

A new catalyst has been developed that can be used to produce cheaper and more sustainable hydrogen-powered vehicles.

Currently, hydrogen vehicles need about 50 grams of platinum to operate that serves as a catalyst in their fuel cells compared to traditional vehicles which only use about five grams in their catalytic convertors.

Platinum is a rare and precious metal with only around 100 tonnes produced annually from mines in South Africa.

Researchers at the University of Copenhagen believe they have developed a catalyst that doesn’t require such a large quantity of platinum.

“We have developed a catalyst which, in the laboratory, only needs a fraction of the amount of platinum that current hydrogen fuel cells for cars do,” said Professor Matthias Arenz, who worked on the project.

“We are approaching the same amount of platinum as needed for a conventional vehicle. At the same time, the new catalyst is much more stable than the catalysts deployed in today’s hydrogen powered vehicles.”

Sustainable technologies are often challenged by the limited availability of the rare materials that make them possible, which in turn limits scalability. This current limitation makes it impossible to replace the world’s vehicles with hydrogen models overnight.

“The new catalyst can make it possible to roll out hydrogen vehicles on a vastly greater scale than could have ever been achieved in the past,” said Professor Jan Rossmeisl.

When they found out how to make a cat using only about 10% of previous, which was 50 grams for a hydrogen, how not possible to find out how to reduce the cat in a gasoline which is 5 grams so it come close to very little indeed? ½ a gram?

It has a cat, probably just one in the engine bay and not the second one under the car (the one that gets stolen) as the GPF will be there instead.

Prius isn't sold in the UK, but the same drivetrain will start to appear in the Corolla.

14 hours ago, b4u2 said:

No point of this article if car won't be available in the UK. 

Yes! - There is a place called Other/NonUK when registering in the forum.

Could be imported to UK from Japan. They also have steering wheel in the "wrong" right side

image.thumb.png.4663c9886e0c55225c49c585ba79b346.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was surprised to read that the pruis won't be sold in the UK, now that there's a version that isn't dog ugly and has some decent HP. Only 536 registered the whole of last year. So the UK has become more SUV obsessed than the US now?!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peniole said:

Was surprised to read that the pruis won't be sold in the UK, now that there's a version that isn't dog ugly and has some decent HP. Only 536 registered the whole of last year. So the UK has become more SUV obsessed than the US now?!

To me it looks much better than all the X models, whether the other letter is a G, N, R or U. Slim and in no way overtly imposing and ostentatious. Looks like a car, not a van.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:33 PM, Las Palmas said:

When they found out how to make a cat using only about 10% of previous, which was 50 grams for a hydrogen, how not possible to find out how to reduce the cat in a gasoline which is 5 grams so it come close to very little indeed? ½ a gram?

That text refers catalysts (used in fuel cells) and catalicyc converter (used in for emissions control).

They’re completely different things.

1 hour ago, William_1991 said:

That text refers catalysts (used in fuel cells) and catalicyc converter (used in for emissions control).

They’re completely different things.

Absolutely. Having common goal. Both being worked on continuosly and evolved and refined. And now and then with before not possible results.

I think the 2023 Prius with the 2.0 L engine due for launch in Continental Europe around April will attract a closer look from a good number of present IS, RC, and maybe CT owners whose size and price requirements are no longer catered to in the Lexus range.

The body design, with a 5cm lower roof and 2cm greater width than the current model objectively looks good, especially with 19” rims as standard;  223bhp and a 0-100kmh acceleration of 6.7’ sounds excellent, as does the rumored top speed of 200kmh;  the availability (?-optional) of a solar roof that recharges the Battery during parking and supplies auxiliary power for the air conditioning and other accessories during driving also sounds interesting.  Prices are not known at present, but it would be logical to expect increases that broadly reflect the improvements in performance. The materials and build quality will probably fall short of Lexus standards, and unless there are some optionals capable of improving cabin appearance and comfort, this is the area where Lexus owners are likeliest to be disappointed. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links