Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does yours Squeak ??

Last few days I have noticed and hear a quite loud squeak coming from [what I believe] the front suspension. This is mainly when braking slowly approaching a junction, but more noticeable when manoeuvring in a car park when apply any brake going forward or reversing....like a squeaking rocking chair !!

My drive is on a slope, and when moving off in the morning applying the brake one hears a definite low down scraping sound which has to be the brake pads/discs?

Anybody having the same or similar?

All of the Lexus cars that I have had creak when going slow under braking. I don’t know if it is the traction motor part braking along with the actual brakes but I have always assumed that it is a normal “feature” of hybrids

Just prior to the 1st Covid lockdown one of the attendants on Eurotunnel, after we’d followed his instructions to close up the gap between us in the RX and the car in front, said to me “that’s the quietest car I’ve ever known - until you braked at the end!”

I suspect that this is what you are referring to @Mobeam

For such a lovely car and ride, the squeaks from the brakes drives me crazy. Worse when you are in long slow traffic. Several trips to the dealer and the response is the same - normal for most lexus cars. They even offered to take any car on the lot out for a drive and the same drive. I wonder why I did not notice it with all the test drive I did before buying the car.

I now put the music on to drown it out, till recent, heard another squeaking over road bumps. Back to the dealer and now told it is likely to be front suspension rubber bushings. For a car barely two months old and less than 2000 miles on the clock, that I have so far driven as if I am on eggshells, it is really disappointing. I guess this is what happens when they build cars and leave them in parking lots for months while waiting for spares, everything rusted up and falling apart. So much of Lexus 5 star diamond plated reliability. Not sure how long I will have to wait for parts to arrive. Nonetheless, hats off to the dealership as they have been so helpful and supportive 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Starlight said:

For such a lovely car and ride, the squeaks from the brakes drives me crazy. Worse when you are in long slow traffic. Several trips to the dealer and the response is the same - normal for most lexus cars. They even offered to take any car on the lot out for a drive and the same drive. I wonder why I did not notice it with all the test drive I did before buying the car.

I now put the music on to drown it out, till recent, heard another squeaking over road bumps. Back to the dealer and now told it is likely to be front suspension rubber bushings. For a car barely two months old and less than 2000 miles on the clock, that I have so far driven as if I am on eggshells, it is really disappointing. I guess this is what happens when they build cars and leave them in parking lots for months while waiting for spares, everything rusted up and falling apart. So much of Lexus 5 star diamond plated reliability. Not sure how long I will have to wait for parts to arrive. Nonetheless, hats off to the dealership as they have been so helpful and supportive 

Then add, frozen door handles; constantly disconnecting and connecting wireless charger; Bluetooth that you have to wait ages to reconnect every time you start the car; and user profile that you have to log back in every few weeks. None of these with my old 68 reg Nissan Qashqai, owned from new.

Well, still love the car nonetheless and will keep for the next year or two and decide.

40 minutes ago, Starlight said:

Can't say that I have noticed any squeak from the brakes!

With all Lexus hybrids the brakes only come into use at low speeds (unless one does an emergency stop) and on every one I've driven the brakes groan when coming to a slow stop. Releasing the brake pedal just before a complete stop sometimes prevents it but TBH it doesn't bother me anymore.

• Like 2

No squeaks on my 15 reg NX300h or on the IS that I had before that, so have I been lucky for 13 years

just waiting for the build to start on my NX 450h ………… 

Thanks guys for your comments and your respective experience with this issue.

Been for a small run today and maybe my description of 'squeak' should really be 'creak' as others have confirmed. Also can confirm that I did not notice it when doing a test drive.  Not so sure that  this creak  is a normal feature of Hybrids.

It certainly happens in car parks when moving slowly back and forth which can be rather embarrassing.... and at junctions, also at times when moving off from standstill.

Incidentally my previous car BMW IX3 did exactly the same and after a dealer visit was told that two new torsion bars would need to be replaced. Told they are on back order. Two months later changed BMW for the NX, so did not find out if it worked.

Totally agree that this should not happen and as with the BMW will do a dealer visit to try and resolve. Would seem [from others above]] that just certain vehicles effected. So just maybe they might come up with the same fix as [Starlight] replacement suspension bushes. 

Will report back later......... or maybe a lot later depending on parts availability if required

I have the "creak" as well and reported it to the dealer when the car was almost new, they claimed they couldn't find anything. It is still there but perhaps maybe not as bad as it used to be, or perhaps I have just got used to it.

This is just a thought. Regarding hybrids, as has been mentioned above, the mechanical brakes only come on in the last few seconds as the regenerative braking is used until around 5 mph (Unless you brake hard). When discs get a bit "rusty" they do tend to creak. I had this with my 400h. So corrosion, due to lack of use might be the reason. It might also depend on how often the car is used. Wíll try and see if the NX does the same.

Anyone got an thoughts on this?

If the brakes have got a surface film on them due to not being used you can hear that rubbing off when the friction brakes blend in as you reach zero speed. The "creak" I am hearing is definitely not that, it is more of a "handling" noise if that makes sense.

On 2/5/2023 at 9:18 AM, Starlight said:

Cracking in suspension bushings is quite common, even when fairly new. It's something that Lexus will flag at service, even though the bushings may actually be fine, and good for years. I assume yours are being replaced under warranty but, if you want to mitigate any future problems, you could apply something like a silicone spray periodically to stop them dryng out. I spray all rubber parts with something called AT 205. Lexus advised me about mine about 18 months ago, so I spray mine every year when I take the weels off to do cleaning/rust proofing and they haven't mentioned it since.

Regarding creaking/squeaking. If it's brakes, I use Atom-Mac when washing the wheels, it's a water based rust inhibitor, that's designed to be safe to use on brake parts, and to help stop surface rust on discs. Worth doing periodically if the car's going to be sitting out in the wet for long periods.

As for suspension. Once a year, in the autumn, I give the underside a liberal spray of ACF-50 on top of any rustproofing. This helps cover anything that the wax products might have missed, as well as seeping into any nooks, crannies and bolt fixings. Apart from adding rust protection it also helps to lubricate everything. It only takes about 20 minutes to do with a garden sprayer but, since doing it, I get no squeaks or creaks, either while braking, or going over speed bumps.

• Like 2

As promised I am reporting back regarding the squeak/creak etc.

Dealer visit yesterday and drove round the dealer car park with plenty of creaks....... unfortunately as others here have reported, told that it is 'normal' and not of any main concern as other similar cars do it !

Must therefore totally agree with Starlight and others that for such a refined, comfortable, and expensive car this is somewhat disappointing.

Will report and try again at service time if this continues.

Sounds like my doctor when I tell him I'm sneezing (or whatever ailment I might have) and he/she tells me that as others have the same symptom, it isn't a problem!

My car doesn't squeak or creak and I wouldn't consider it normal if it did. Of course, I don't know exactly what you're hearing but , if you're not happy, I wouldn't necessarily simply accept the dealers dismissal of your concern.

In 23 Years & 5 hybrid cars never had creaking & regularly have crawled in heavy traffic for miles.

Toy are being conned.  

Try another Dealer from a different Motor Group.

Tel

• Like 1

On my 4th Lexus (2nd new NX350H) and they all had a creak especially when in the 'HOLD' point on a gradient (up or down). I did find that letting the hybrid system do its job i.e. slowing down earlier, softer breaking when in traffic reduced the 'creak'

• Like 1

Just reporting back. Car in and out of the dealership. First class service, picked up, repaired, full tank of fuel, professionally  valeted and returned back home. No squeaking or squealing, infact no sound at all except for the occasional front Battery charging, at least for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, Starlight said:

Just reporting back. Car in and out of the dealership. First class service, picked up, repaired, full tank of fuel, professionally  valeted and returned back home. No squeaking or squealing, infact no sound at all except for the occasional front battery charging, at least for now.

Very interested to hear that after your last dealer visit , now no squeaks or creaks.

Can you enlighten on....what complaint you reported to the dealer on the visit and..... what they did to resolve the problem.

Looks like you have a excellent Lexus dealer who go the extra mile 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mobeam said:

Very interested to hear that after your last dealer visit , now no squeaks or creaks.

Can you enlighten on....what complaint you reported to the dealer on the visit and..... what they did to resolve the problem.

Looks like you have a excellent Lexus dealer who go the extra mile 

Thanks David, the complaint were loud unsettling squeaks coming from underneath the car when over bumps or potholes. Sorted by replacing OSF suspension top mount. No squeaking at all. I also complained about increasingly groaning noise when you come to a stop or take your foot off the brakes to inch forward, worse going downhill or on a straight and unnoticeable going up an incline. Not sure how they resolved that but noticed on return that my car seat settings were all adjusted. I rarely hear it anymore but occasionally when parked up an incline slowly inching down. They also carried out a DCM software update but has not noticed anything different before and after.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:07 PM, Starlight said:

Thanks David, the complaint were loud unsettling squeaks coming from underneath the car when over bumps or potholes. Sorted by replacing OSF suspension top mount. No squeaking at all. I also complained about increasingly groaning noise when you come to a stop or take your foot off the brakes to inch forward, worse going downhill or on a straight and unnoticeable going up an incline. Not sure how they resolved that but noticed on return that my car seat settings were all adjusted. I rarely hear it anymore but occasionally when parked up an incline slowly inching down. They also carried out a DCM software update but has not noticed anything different before and after.

Very interesting and glad to hear your positive experience Justin, just out of interest which dealer was it that provided such great service?

I'm asking because I see your location as Surrey and your dealer might be within my reach, and I know I'd rather travel a little bit further for a good dealer!

Many thanks!

Lok

5 hours ago, loknx said:

Very interesting and glad to hear your positive experience Justin, just out of interest which dealer was it that provided such great service?

I'm asking because I see your location as Surrey and your dealer might be within my reach, and I know I'd rather travel a little bit further for a good dealer!

Many thanks!

Lok

Lexus Gatwick 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links