Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Call me tight but,

it came as a pleasant surprise today when I checked out the DVLA web site as I'm considering taking the car off SORN to find that the ripp-off road tax for my car will be £165 odd a year

Now I now it's really picky/pedantic of me to hate paying road tax but the fact my gas guzzling V8 470 BHP car is only a relatively small sum to tax now. I am holding out until the 1st of March to tax it as we are too far into this month to volunteer a few quid extra, but I'll wait.

Don't think you're tight at all! 

Fortunately I can afford the  expense to tax a car at the higher  rates ie RCF £615 and ISF £630, but for occasional use at weekends, to my mind, that is just too much.

Now with the newer tax rates LC500h £155 and RCF £165 it just makes much more sense.

Stupid man maths I know, especially as one has to purchase a newer car to benefit, but I  begrudge paying tax to the government. 

• Like 1

Trust me I'm absolutely 100% spot on with this figure, (says he with a big smile across his face) in fact I'd have taxed it today if I wasn't so tight.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

yeah, if you own one that was made after april 2017 or whenever it was, once its over 5 years old the rate drops, pre april 2017 & your tax will never go down.

Agreed, weird though isn't it. but I guess having paid extra road tax for a while it will take a while to benefit

1 hour ago, RadicalCoupe-Fuji said:

yeah, if you own one that was made after april 2017 or whenever it was, once its over 5 years old the rate drops, pre april 2017 & your tax will never go down.

All madness as far as I'm concerned, especially if you have a 5.0 V8 that is used infrequently (e.g. second car). You pay 'tax' for a car that is sitting still.

4 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

You pay 'tax' for a car that is sitting still.

it's all totally bonkers .  you're buying a beautiful car, spending many £000's to have it just sitting on the driveway looking pretty !

Why don't you want to get the pleasure from using it ?

Malc

52 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

Agreed, weird though isn't it. but I guess having paid extra road tax for a while it will take a while to benefit

The additional rate applies because the retail price was >£40k when the vehicle was first registered.

1 hour ago, Spunkmeyer said:

So a 2017 V8 is £165 once older enough but a 2015 will always be £620 odd? 

Yes weird isn't it, even unjust I'd say. I plan to get out more in it this year as it's only done 12000 miles.

But then nothing governments do seems to make any sense at all

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spunkmeyer said:

Sucks doesn't it, and if anything it seems to like to go up.

I used to think it was "fair" as the later cars have GPFs fitted and the engine makes a bit less power as a result, however it turns out there's a goldilocks zone of 2017 cars which don't have a GPF, but still get the cheap tax.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rob RCF said:

Sucks doesn't it, and if anything it seems to like to go up.

I used to think it was "fair" as the later cars have GPFs fitted and the engine makes a bit less power as a result, however it turns out there's a goldilocks zone of 2017 cars which don't have a GPF, but still get the cheap tax.

Dead right, it was just luck on my part though as this car had all the extras I wanted. Unfortunately for me just after I bought it I sold the last part of my business so I had no need to travel from Portsmouth to Donington Park Raceway or even up to Faslane. Hence why the very low mileage to date which I expect will change over the next few years.

I just paid £360 road tax for is250 and then RCF will make it up to £1000 for both 🙂 

But I’m not crying because in few weeks time I renew my muticover insurance with admiral for is250 + RCF + my main house and it’s another £1000 all in.

I think it’s not that bad to pay in total £2k CONSIDERING a fact that 3 years ago (god knows why) I paid £1650 annually just for Vito 3.0 Brabus insurance on its own + circa £260 something for commercial vehicle road tax… 

To make it even more funny 3 years ago Volvo S60 d4 mapped to 230hp with no dpf  I paid £0 road tax and £320 for annual insurance (tell me about air pollution 🤫). 

As mentioned above it does not make any sense. 

19 hours ago, Spunkmeyer said:

It is the same unfair situation in Ireland where my 2008 GS costs me 790 euros in motor tax and the same model of 2013 only 280 euros. 

8 hours ago, ubersonic said:

There's no justice, my mate has a 600BHP Mazda RX7 with no cats that produces as much harmful emissions and noise as mount Krakatoa.  But because it's a 1.3L car made before 2001 he pays £180 a year VED lol.

That's correct here is my old one, track prepped and same horsepower as my RCF and cheap road tax because it was classed as a 1300cc engine

DSC00314.jpeg

I think the road tax of 2017 was to stop the amount of VED free cars being sold and not paying tax (the wife has a 2015 Auris hybrid and it’s £0 VED)…… at 98k she’s running fine and will continue until she’s completely knackered)……. Over 80% of cars are HP or PCP purchases and keep the car industry turning over, the stealth tax was aimed at reducing the amount of cars sold in the higher bracket, I honestly think it was a bit of a “give back” to those who actually appreciate cars and own them…… obviously only my opinion 

2 hours ago, Womble72 said:

the wife has a 2015 Auris hybrid and it’s £0 VED……at 98k she’s running fine and will continue until she’s completely knackered

My wife would go mental if I spoke about her like that!🤣

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links