Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Attempted Theft of my RX450h 2020

2 hours ago, Lux said:

Lexus no longer has my business. After my Lexus Rx450h F Sport was stolen on 20/07/23, I attempted to replace it with another Rx450h. However, the most affordable insurance quote I received was £3680. As a result, I've opted for a Hyundai Tucson Hybrid instead. I believe I won't be the last customer that Lexus loses.

What year was your Lexus? Did the insurance paid you by now? 

12 hours ago, John Walker said:

What year was your Lexus? Did the insurance paid you by now? 

It was 2016. Yes, my insurance (Churchill) paid up. When I attempted to buy another Lexus, Churchill informed me that they have stopped insuring Lexus RX due to high risk. 

9 hours ago, Lux said:

It was 2016. Yes, my insurance (Churchill) paid up. When I attempted to buy another Lexus, Churchill informed me that they have stopped insuring Lexus RX due to high risk. 

This is a huge image problem. Lexus need to retrofit every single RX with the protection solution. And the same for every single UX, NX, LC, LS and any other model with the same design flaw. The best way to do this is by issuing a recall. 
Fitting a ghost II or similar to every car as well as the protection covers would be a couple of hundred quid each if they were prepared to buy in bulk or do a deal with a large installer.

That would be the ‘Lexus way’ of handling what’s approaching a PR disaster. The media haven’t got a proper hold on this yet, like has happened with Land Rover, but when they do…

Hey guys, which email address did you email to get the plate fixed?

I called my Lexus dealership and they are aware of the issue but asked me to contact Lexus central first, so they contact them, so they contact me to fit the plate...

21 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

Hey guys, which email address did you email to get the plate fixed?

I called my Lexus dealership and they are aware of the issue but asked me to contact Lexus central first, so they contact them, so they contact me to fit the plate...

Lexus Customer Relations <cr@lexus.co.uk>

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

Great, thanks. I have just emailed them. Let's see what happens

I just emailed them too - a solution is also needed for the LC and every other affected model.

43 minutes ago, eightk said:

I just emailed them too - a solution is also needed for the LC and every other affected model.

On my case, it worked instantly, I got an email saying that "However, I am pleased to confirm that your Lexus Centre can order this protective plate and once it has arrived can schedule to have this installed to your RX.  The Centre can claim the cost to do this through Lexus UK.  I have shared this reply with the After Sales Manager for Lexus .... "

So well done Lexus

23 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

On my case, it worked instantly, I got an email saying that "However, I am pleased to confirm that your Lexus Centre can order this protective plate and once it has arrived can schedule to have this installed to your RX.  The Centre can claim the cost to do this through Lexus UK.  I have shared this reply with the After Sales Manager for Lexus .... "

So well done Lexus

Any chance sharing your reply on here?  I'm in the process of getting a new RX and am a little concerned about what I've been hearing. 

Would anyone know if anything can be done as part of the build process or is it all an after job?

3 minutes ago, HGUS said:

Any chance sharing your reply on here?  I'm in the process of getting a new RX and am a little concerned about what I've been hearing. 

Would anyone know if anything can be done as part of the build process or is it all an after job?

my reply was " great, let's fix this on the annual service in a few weeks"

I think it is all an after job.

10 minutes ago, HGUS said:

If you are getting a brand new RX, I believe this issue should not concern you as they seem to have moved things around and the Can Bus vulnerability no longer exists on the new models.

I stand to be corrected from anyone who knows otherwise.

36 minutes ago, Rob62 said:

If you are getting a brand new RX, I believe this issue should not concern you as they seem to have moved things around and the Can Bus vulnerability no longer exists on the new models.

I stand to be corrected from anyone who knows otherwise.

Yes, I'd like to know for sure if anyone can confirm please.

New RX's have yet to have their security exploited.  With the price of the new RX shooting up (I think the 500h is about £80K) I don't see it being too long before criminal demand moves from the gen 4s to the gen 5s.

On 8/19/2023 at 8:13 PM, peniole said:

Yes the new RX and NX platforms are on an encrypted, dealer said scrambled, CANBUS.

That's encouraging news but wouldn't it be a good idea for Lexus to advertise the fact so potential thieves would be put off trying in the first place?

I was thinking about having a Ghost II immobiliser fitted but when I checked compatibility on the Autowatch web site the series 5 models weren't listed so could this be because of the scrambled CAN bus. Despite the apparent lack of compatibility, there are still a large number of installers who are claiming they can fit the Ghost II to series 5 models!

After contacting Lexus CR two weeks ago both plates were fitted today by Lexus Newcastle; there was no charge and they also included a complimentary health check and valet.

This together with the Scorpion Series X Immobiliser I had fitted earlier in the year should reduce the worst case scenario down to some broken trim clips and the inconvenience of getting any damage fixed, which is much better than losing the car altogether and claiming on the insurance... yes I'm an optimist!

• Like 3

Sent email to my Lexus centre , Birmingham today, with regards to RX theft, CANBUS protection etc.

I am told that at the moment Lexus are only offering this facility of the steel plates in London, it appears you have the most thieves.

Of course, if they nick your Lexus in the smoke, they could always travel north and nick mine too.

it seems we will have to wait and see if that roll out goes national and we get a recall?

2 minutes ago, larryadler said:

I am told that at the moment Lexus are only offering this facility of the steel plates in London, it appears you have the most thieves.

They told me the same but when I complained and asked why my car here in the Northern Wastelands of Lancashire is considered any less important than those in the south, and why we always seem to lose out in the great north/south divide, a couple of days later I got a call from Lexus Preston to have the job done. It was done last week and took a couple of hours.

1 hour ago, larryadler said:

Sent email to my Lexus centre , Birmingham today, with regards to RX theft, CANBUS protection etc.

Of course, if they nick your Lexus in the smoke, they could always travel north and nick mine too.

it seems we will have to wait and see if that roll out goes national and we get a recall?

Send your email to the Lexus UK Centre and they will contact your local branch and it will then be done and foc.

I’m in the north of Scotland and I’m getting it done in Edinburgh on Thursday.

Hi all, I emailed Lexus customer services yesterday evening, by this morning I had the reply saying that they will fit the theft deterrent at my upcoming service due in October. I live in North East Lincolnshire so a fair way from London!  ( although I do travel to visit family in North London). Well worth the email to customer services IMHO.

Bri

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine fitted by Lexus Liverpool this morning after initially contacting Lexus customer relations direct to request installation.'Yours is the first one we have done as they are being rolled out within the M25 but only on request elsewhere'. 

• 3 weeks later...

Was at lexus Leicester yesterday with my RX450H and booked in for plating and was told there will be a lexus recall very soon this is a big problem for lexus also no cost incurred very helpful at lexus Leicester.

I've just had my beautiful RX 450h taken in the early hours from outside my home in North London.  Incredibly easy for them to do via this hack and, of course, car was due to be patched by Lexus in the coming weeks.  I'm really very upset with this manufacturer for not stepping in fast enough to secure the car.  An unencrypted bus just sitting behind a few bits of plastic does not team with the level of sophistication found elsewhere in the technology on these cars.  This was my only new car, fully spec'd and really well looked after for 4.5 years so I doubt I'll get the same level of car spec again with the insurance money.  Anyone with a similar RX model who has not fitted a secondary immobiliser should do so now!

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links