Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

32 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Great minds think alike, all 4 keys for 2 cars now in foil 🙂

Thanks for the CANbus explanation. I was aware what CANbus was just unsure how it was used for a theft. Is the headlight thing only for Lexus or most cars?

I think most cars. All modern cars have a CAN bus so I suppose it boils down to how accessible the CAN wiring is.

40 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Great minds think alike, all 4 keys for 2 cars now in foil 🙂

Thanks for the CANbus explanation. I was aware what CANbus was just unsure how it was used for a theft. Is the headlight thing only for Lexus or most cars?

Definitely not only Lexus !!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/04/09/thieves-hacking-cars-through-headlights/

14 minutes ago, BillNick said:

@Gsf grey solihull could it be?

Capture.thumb.JPG.e17dfad8db00c53e45d556ff701aeac7.JPG

Wow! How interesting. 

If it is.... get the scratches off the bonnet and she'll be as good as new!

If it is, does the car being stolen screw the history and value?

Edit: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=226&t=167843

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BillNick said:

I just tested both of my faraday boxes and neither of them are working anymore 😞

Anyone have links to boxes that work and keep working please?

This is what I have - silver tin with a tight fitting lid. Bulletproof and definitely blocks the signal. It’ll take two Lexus keys and a card.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LATIT-Blocking-Faraday-Portable-Security-silver/dp/B081Q73X2T

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BillNick said:

I just tested both of my faraday boxes and neither of them are working anymore 😞

Anyone have links to boxes that work and keep working please?

Put your keys in the microwave when it's not in use (if you don't live alone you may want to tell people you do this).

13 minutes ago, Gsf grey solihull said:

That’s mine!!!!. Just rang police but no answers about car as the officer dealing with had not contacted me

Surprised/not surprised they didn’t contact you immediately 🙄

Hope the outcome is as best possible for you matey 🤞🏼

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Surprised/not surprised they didn’t contact you immediately 🙄

Hope the outcome is as best possible for you matey 🤞🏼

Thankyou for sharing the post of my stolen car. I wonder what best options are depending on damage 

My father in law had his Range Rover stolen and recovered within 48hrs like yours. His wasn’t marked as stolen recovered he just had the wheels refurbished owing to some kerbing and complete lockset changed. He was also insured by the manufacturers so hopefully be a smooth process.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gsf grey solihull said:

That’s mine!!!!. Just rang police but no answers about car as the officer dealing with had not contacted me

Excellent news, hope there is little or no damage 👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gsf grey solihull said:

CAR FOUND, managed to get confirmation from police that it’s in recovery lockup. Big thanks to BillNick🙏🙏🙏 for posting the pics and info. Many thanks 

You're one of the lucky ones and I'm so happy for you dude!!!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RichGS11 said:

You're one of the lucky ones and I'm so happy for you dude!!!

Great news.

I reckon it’ll be fine.

I’d love to know what they were planning to do with it!

• Thanks 1

Great outcome for the owner 🙂

13 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

I do agree, I can't see the average GSF owner would be surfing eBay for cheap used parts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flytvr said:

If it is, does the car being stolen screw the history and value?

No...Unless it is recovered after insurance has paid-off and it goes for auction, at which point it may get category. As well in theory even if it goes as U/X (stolen/recovered minimal damage) the car history check can show auction pictures etc. but it doesn't devalue the car much and it can't really be traced. If found it could be argued it is more of "bad charm/moral thing"... I don't believe car being poorly driven for couple of days makes that much of real damage. 

As always I am horrified by British Police! There was no attempt to catch the thief, they seen the car pulling away and let it got... they later found the cars and not even considered sting operation, like waiting for thief to show-up or secretly placing tracker etc. Honestly in UK car theft is decriminalised nowadays... they steal cars, joy ride them for a bit and face absolutely no consequences. They said it was in "chop-shop", but in fact it was in "cool down place"... don't they know how criminals operate?

Even if we look at the positive side - assuming they tried to return car to the owner ASAP instead of using it as a bait to catch criminals... even then they failed - people find out from the forum and social media before they find out from the police. 

The most important thing - this story has amazing ending and owner got the car back (which is very rare!) and I am very glad to see it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Flytvr said:

Great news.

I reckon it’ll be fine.

Order... somebody has crashed car or just docs... More unique cars are not usually chopped as there is no market for their parts. 

Do the 2018 models not have a Battery saver mode for the key? It's hold down the lock button, while pressing the unlock button twice. That makes the key go silent and no longer tansmit until you press another button. No pouches necessary.

What a rollercoaster! Glad it has been found, should you get it back, I can't recommend highly enough an immobiliser. We had a few cars stolen overnight on our estate, although both were BMW's, it gave me a little bit of the fear. I had a Starline fitted and I know a few members across the forum have Ghosts fitted.

Will definitely be following this thread, so please keep us all in the loop as to what plays out 🙂

Good news story this one! Maybe recovered just in time. An M8 Competition and a GSF will not be stolen for the parts as the market is very small for that. More likely stolen on order, driven into a container and shipped within 48 hours mainly to Africa.

• Like 1

I total agree that these cars would not sell parts well on eBay etc. Certainly not the GSF as all of us will have known where they come from - though I am after a set of GSF wheels, Id never buy from eBay for this reason.

Someone "undergound" has ordered the car for sure.

• Like 1

This episode has made me bite the the bullet and arrange to have a Pandora Storm canbus immobiliser fitted on my RX450h. Only thing is my local installer is booked up until the 10th May and are a bit dearer the most. They do have an impeccable reputation though which I why I am using them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Glyn Jennings said:

This episode has made me bite the the bullet and arrange to have a Pandora Storm canbus immobiliser fitted on my RX450h. Only thing is my local installer is booked up until the 10th May and are a bit dearer the most. They do have an impeccable reputation though which I why I am using them.

Looks good, though the Pandora website looks uncared for: pages not found, 2022 copyright message...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links