Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anti-theft CANbus plates

For those living in the London area, according to that post RX owners might be contacted without needing to complain or pursue this themselves. That’s some good news, at least for owners in the London area. Imaginably this will spread and this may then be recognised in the ridiculous insurance premiums!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

Just seen on the Facebook LOC:

image.thumb.png.4aad0e0e6b23e2a17c607924c587e6fa.png

@Herbie I'm not shooting the messenger... Just commenting on the facebook post.

It may be the case that the NX is not currently being heavily targeted by UK thieves, but it seems a different story in France, with the NX being second to the RAV4.

https://gettotext.com/the-toyota-rav4-was-the-most-stolen-car-in-france-in-2022/

And given this seems to have started (according to other articles on the web) in Japan in 2021, we can extrapolate the likely outcomes....

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

9 hours ago, therealrjp said:

For those living in the London area, according to that post RX owners might be contacted without needing to complain or pursue this themselves. That’s some good news, at least for owners in the London area. Imaginably this will spread and this may then be recognised in the ridiculous insurance premiums!

As this gets rolled out more widely, there’s a benefit for all RX owners even if their car hasn’t had the modification. Anything that introduces uncertainty or jeopardy for the bad guys - will this car be an easy and quick theft or not - helps everybody, as hopefully they’ll start to look elsewhere and for other targets.

My assumption is this modification isn’t about ultimate prevention, it’s more about delay and causing difficulty. If one car takes thirty seconds to steal but another 3 minutes then the hope is the villains will take the easiest option.

• Like 1

My car is due to be fitted with this plate tomorrow, so it will be interesting to see what it actually is and how secure it is. It would be nice to see something visible to potential thieves, letting them know before they even try that it is there. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I few here already have them:

Yeah, I've even contributed to some of them myself but I just thought it worth copying that Facebook post because it categorically states that they are fitting them free of charge.

• Like 1

My RX is back from having this plate fitted today at Lexus Edgware Road. Completely free of charge, along with the usual visual health check, tea and biscuits. Can’t fault the service.

As for the plate itself, it took approximately 2 hours to fit and is not visible from the wheel arch.

Anyone pursuing this should make sure they’re not charged as clearly it is being rolled out to many owners free of charge. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also had mine fitted today on both sides. It took Lexus Cheltenham longer than they thought, it was a good two hours and involved removing the front bumper and headlights. I was shown the plates. It was done FOC and I was impressed with the speed that this was actioned. Car was also cleaned. 

• Like 2

I called Lexus Twickenham to have that anti theft plate installed on an RX i m planning to buy (they said only on the passenger side is required) and they want to charge me £250. I told them people have them fitted for free, this is so frustrating. Can anyone help me with Lexus UK customer service so I can make a complaint? 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Lamdon said:

May you pls share a picture to show how it looks like after fitting

Probably wise not to share too much information on the web.  No point in preparing the nefarious elements out there...

• Like 7

11 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Probably wise not to share too much information on the web.  No point in preparing the nefarious elements out there...

I’ll be a little more blunt……….definitely not wise to share any pics on here.

New member & first post is “can I see pictures of the plate fitted?”

Sorry Andon, you may well be genuine but surely you can see the potential problem

• Like 9

14 hours ago, Goodplan53 said:

After several weeks of waiting I pressed the servicing department at my local dealership  to book me in to have the anti theft plates fitted tomorrow- only to be told today that the parts are not in.  

Your profile lists a UX as well as an RX - that could also be prone to the same problem as the RX (and my LC, Toyota RAV4s etc) - well worth pressing your dealer on a solution for the UX too.

I contacted Lexus Customer Relations by email and they came back to me really promptly and positively!  Parts and labour are free of charge and they would instruct my local dealer to order and arrange fitting. Sure enough, same day I received a call from my dealer (Canterbury) and my car is booked in next week to have the plates fitted. Seriously impressed! 

5 hours ago, kms2012 said:

I contacted Lexus Customer Relations by email and they came back to me really promptly and positively!  Parts and labour are free of charge and they would instruct my local dealer to order and arrange fitting. Sure enough, same day I received a call from my dealer (Canterbury) and my car is booked in next week to have the plates fitted. Seriously impressed! 

You’re lucky!

Fortunately, I purchased my RX last month and promptly contacted Lexus Customer Service. They informed me that they had instructed my dealer, Hedge End, to assist me in installing protection plates. However, as of last week, the dealer informed me that these protection plates are currently out of stock, with no confirmed restock date. I reached out to customer service once again last week, reiterating the unknown restock date. I hope I won’t have to wait for a whole year. I’m starting to regret purchasing this car from this dealer.

48 minutes ago, Dinga said:

Fortunately, I purchased my RX last month and promptly contacted Lexus Customer Service. They informed me that they had instructed my dealer, Hedge End, to assist me in installing protection plates. However, as of last week, the dealer informed me that these protection plates are currently out of stock, with no confirmed restock date. I reached out to customer service once again last week, reiterating the unknown restock date. I hope I won’t have to wait for a whole year. I’m starting to regret purchasing this car from this dealer.

Go to another dealer and get it done there

On 9/12/2023 at 9:46 AM, eightk said:

Your profile lists a UX as well as an RX - that could also be prone to the same problem as the RX (and my LC, Toyota RAV4s etc) - well worth pressing your dealer on a solution for the UX too.

Thanks Andy - I thought it only applied to Gen4 RXs.  I'll check when (if!) I ever get an appointment.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links