Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Taking the plunge in to EV

On 10/7/2023 at 10:45 AM, talaipwros said:

https://www.lexus.co.uk/finance/finance-calculator

Lexus now offers RZ with 0 deposit and 0% APR

The development of electric cars goes so fast that dealers have a limited time only to shift the existing models. Take for instance VW/Audi with the ID 3/4  snd Etron models. The first facelift meant new more powerful engines and stronger batterytech. So when the facelift model comes out the previous one is dead in the water nobody wants it. Remember the personal computers? starting with 64mb? then 128 then 256 and so on. Cars have become disposable machines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Adams said:

This is my 10th brand new Lexus and the 9 before it were brilliant.  Believe me, this one is the worst one I have owned for many reasons and as for owing it for many years there is no chance. I feel let down by Lexus and I will not be buying no 11.

Sell it while you still can?

37 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

The development of electric cars goes so fast that dealers have a limited time only to shift the existing models. Take for instance VW/Audi with the ID 3/4  snd Etron models. The first facelift meant new more powerful engines and stronger batterytech. So when the facelift model comes out the previous one is dead in the water nobody wants it. Remember the personal computers? starting with 64mb? then 128 then 256 and so on. Cars have become disposable machines.

As I child , I grew up in an Alfa Giulia and then had a Giulietta.
Since I did not purchase the RZ, I had a look at some Giulia QV ( the one with the half ferrari engine, mostly because of  nostalgia)

Seven  year models at 50% price when new. Makes you think.

Back in the days i owned a Giulia, GT Junior, Alfetta GT Bertone coupe and much later a 75 Indy and 164 Cloverleaf. Always had a soft spot for the Italian Passion. The brand almost disappeared due to lacklustre products combined with horrible reliability. The current QV both in Giulia and Stelvio form seem a rock solid investment due to just beeing excellent cars. Maybe the Current RZ should not be part of the Lexus range?

28 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Back in the days i owned a Giulia, GT Junior, Alfetta GT Bertone coupe and much later a 75 Indy and 164 Cloverleaf. Always had a soft spot for the Italian Passion. The brand almost disappeared due to lacklustre products combined with horrible reliability. The current QV both in Giulia and Stelvio form seem a rock solid investment due to just beeing excellent cars. Maybe the Current RZ should not be part of the Lexus range?

If the RZ had a bigger Battery with better efficiency and without all the niggles I've never had with previous Lexus cars it would be fine. It's overpriced for what it is and that is the big disappointment. Lexus really shouldn't have launched this car in this state. It would also have been helpful if Lexus had trained their dealers before launching the car because frankly they haven't a clue and every issue has to be referred to Lexus which furthers delays things.  Sad but true.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:43 AM, John Adams said:

Still overpriced IMO. 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309302525064

Lexus RZ 450e

71.4kWh (Prem Plus) Auto 4WD 5dr

2023 (23 reg)

£50,000

Mileage

3,106 miles

605 miles  above average

Registration

2023 (23 reg)

Lexus Croydon

ok, it's slowly getting there.

10 hours ago, talaipwros said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202309302525064

Lexus RZ 450e

71.4kWh (Prem Plus) Auto 4WD 5dr

2023 (23 reg)

£50,000

Mileage

3,106 miles

605 miles  above average

Registration

2023 (23 reg)

Lexus Croydon

ok, it's slowly getting there.

woweeee it's only dropped £20k in 4 months   ....  £7 a mile ........... @£15 a day .......  but of course it's getting ancient now with the fresh 1st September  73  plates 

Any ( screwball maybe ) private buyers out there taken the plunge ?  .  s'pose if you keep the car for 30 years then it's not costing one too much to worry about ......  longer term ! 🤣

Malc

On 10/8/2023 at 12:46 PM, dutchie01 said:

Yes, the unexpected rate of 'obsolescence' plays havoc with the expected costs of depreciation.

On the plus side it can also offer up occasional, not always, super deals as retail try to offload. As a buyer though you need to be aware of the context for the deal and have some sort of idea of the financial implication so you don't get sucked into showroom 'marketing for suckers' and walk out without half your wallet. Not a lot different to auction rooms, do your research beforehand and have a line in the sand for the deal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, Boomer54 said:

First in on new tech always take the 'bath' for the rest of us who know how this stuff works. Everything from DVD, Microwave, to Mobile phones and so on. Electric cars are just the latest in a long line of such advances.

Indeed, even beyond that with higher interest rates the NPV of all assets is impacted.

The difference is we are in 2023, Nissan made the Leaf in 2011. Anyone who thinks EV are still 'new' tech needs to get out more 🙂

Our current EV is our 3rd, and despite being 6 years old seems to have more range and better technology than a brand new RZ. 

The problem isn't EVs, it's the RZ. It's about 10 years behind in technology compared to what everyone else is selling right now. You have to be a die hard Lexus/Toyota fan to buy one.

53254809537_e551d5621a_c_d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

The difference is we are in 2023, Nissan made the Leaf in 2011. Anyone who thinks EV are still 'new' tech needs to get out more 🙂

Our current EV is our 3rd, and despite being 6 years old seems to have more range and better technology than a brand new RZ. 

The problem isn't EVs, it's the RZ. It's about 10 years behind in technology compared to what everyone else is selling right now. You have to be a die hard Lexus/Toyota fan to buy one.

53254809537_e551d5621a_c_d.jpg

Thank you for your opinion. Be sure to advise the Insurers on your thoughts.

3 hours ago, ganzoom said:

I wouldn't say 10 years behind but yeah they're still playing catch up with the competition. The RZ is very nice inside, better than my 3, don't know about an X. It will suit some people who aren't too bothered with range, charge speed or performance and just want a nice car. As a car its good, but there plenty of better EVs out there. I see that Lexus are planning better in 2026, which is about a decade too late but will be interesting to see what they produce: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/lexus-ev-concept-tokyo

Not often that I defend @ganzoom but there is a lot of hatred towards EVs on this forum of late. 

I get it, some people like the sound of a V8, some need to drive 300 miles in one go and can’t charge at home, and some people find the ease of driving an EV and not having to fill up with fuel an advantage. It’s great we are all different. 🙃

• Like 4

1 minute ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Not often that I defend @ganzoom but there is a lot of hatred towards EVs on this forum of late. 

I get it, some people like the sound of a V8, some need to drive 300 miles in one go and can’t charge at home, and some people find the ease of driving an EV and not having to fill up with fuel an advantage. It’s great we are all different. 🙃

It's not hatred. It's just a fact that we expect much  better from Lexus. As a long term Lexus owner, I expect better. This car is a lemon and I expect much better from Lexus and they have really let down long term customers big time. They have got this car so wrong and as a long time supporter of Lexus it leave's a poor taste and I am now finished with Lexus for good.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, John Adams said:

It's not hatred. It's just a fact that we expect much  better from Lexus. As a long term Lexus owner, I expect better. This car is a lemon and I expect much better from Lexus and they have really let down long term customers big time. They have got this car so wrong and as a long time supporter of Lexus it leave's a poor taste and I am now finished with Lexus for good.

If it wasn't for the range, would you still consider it a lemon?

It, and the Toyota equivalent, are compliance cars that were rushed to market with minimal development costs to meet regulations. Other than poor range and efficiency there is a lot to like for people who generally like Lexus vehicles (other than maybe the fallacy that anyone that wants an EV must be a vegan and therefore leather cannot be an option).

The vehicle’s bad reviews, but more importantly what seems to be a war on EVs by the media, will mean resale values suffer (not that Lexus vehicles are industry leading in that area anyway).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, talaipwros said:

If it wasn't for the range, would you still consider it a lemon?

Yes. Too many issues which need resolving. The dealers haven't' a clue and when you contact Lexus UK they refer you to the dealer. Worst Lexus I have ever owned and they should not have launched this car with so many basic problems. As for the app.. well it's rubbish as we all know

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

It, and the Toyota equivalent, are compliance cars that were rushed to market with minimal development costs to meet regulations. Other than poor range and efficiency there is a lot to like for people who generally like Lexus vehicles (other than maybe the fallacy that anyone that wants an EV must be a vegan and therefore leather cannot be an option).

The vehicle’s bad reviews, but more importantly what seems to be a war on EVs by the media, will mean resale values suffer (not that Lexus vehicles are industry leading in that area anyway).

The bad reviews are down to the fact it is a bad car. You need to own one to understand the many problems and with no assistance from the dealer as they haven't a clue on how to fix basic problems. And as a long term Lexus buyer and fan, i'm not happy saying that but it's true. If Lexus UK would acknowledge there is a problem that would be a start. But they won't

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Adams said:

If Lexus UK would acknowledge there is a problem that would be a start. But they won't

They never do - as with the GS F with failing interior carbon fibre trim that they blame on the owners, or RXs being stolen that they wouldn't acknowledge as an issue for months until the vehicle gets into the top 10 list of most stolen cars and they are backed into a corner.

Little niggling issues seem to be more common with Lexus these days - the NX has had its fair share in the beginning. There is certainly sound reasoning to steer clear of new models for the first 12 month whilst issues are identified and resolved.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2023 at 3:02 PM, ColinBarber said:

They never do - as with the GS F with failing interior carbon fibre trim that they blame on the owners, or RXs being stolen that they wouldn't acknowledge as an issue for months until the vehicle gets into the top 10 list of most stolen cars and they are backed into a corner.

Little niggling issues seem to be more common with Lexus these days - the NX has had its fair share in the beginning. There is certainly sound reasoning to steer clear of new models for the first 12 month whilst issues are identified and resolved.

Colin,

My problem at the moment is that even waiting 12 months for resolutions (with new or older models) doesn't seem to do it. The CANbus issue had been going on for well over a year before any action was taken (as you say, only at the point where taking no action became untenable), and I still have an excel sheet of bugs for MM19 that they will not fix.  Radly internet radio (provided with the WiFi box in 2019-2022 vehicles approximately) has only worked for me for about 3 months and apparently because hardly anyone complains about it not working, it will not get fixed.  There are broken links for Radly on the My Lexus website, still there after the recent site refresh. Clearly nobody tested the website.  Cloud services are unreliable for MM19 users, let alone what I read about for MM21 users and user profile issues. I have never owned a GS-F but as an observer on this website the carbon fibre trim situation looked clear.

Wireless android auto anyone?

It will be interesting to watch the progress of the sales figures.  Sales of the gen 5 RX in its launch year seem a lot lower than the gen 4 in its launch year. Not such an easy comparison perhaps because of a differing world situation but interesting nonetheless.

How many gen 4 RX owners would buy a gen 5 having watched the CANbus saga play out on their gen 4 vehicles.  OK, perhaps the gen 5 doesn't have that specific issue, but the track record of puting things right is poor and so what happens to your gen 5 RX when a new issue is identified with that?

Once bitten....

But all of this is in the back drop of fundamentally very reliable vehicles with a very good warranty scheme.  It feels a bit of a contradiction.

Paul

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 10:48 AM, javadude said:

I wouldn't say 10 years behind but yeah they're still playing catch up with the competition. The RZ is very nice inside, better than my 3, don't know about an X. It will suit some people who aren't too bothered with range, charge speed or performance and just want a nice car. As a car its good, but there plenty of better EVs out there. I see that Lexus are planning better in 2026, which is about a decade too late but will be interesting to see what they produce: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/lexus-ev-concept-tokyo

Wonder if that will include the Toyota announcement of 700 mile, 10 minute charge solid state batteries? 🤔

47 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Wonder if that will include the Toyota announcement of 700 mile, 10 minute charge solid state batteries? 🤔

I have just read that interesting article... Strange that Toyota have the RZ 450e...!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmoney/electric-vehicles/article-12662175/Toyota-EV-solid-state-range-745-miles.html 

• Like 1

Rz450e does seem to attract a lot of sad news ……. And the depreciation / resale prices are laughable, well unless you own one ! 

but I’m thinking all Marque EVs suffer much of this approbation 

Sour taste for many I’m sure

Just can’t understand why people want to pay so much for such piles of  x@&o?x  

…… when brilliant Lexus V8s are available for comparative tiny ££££s 

Good luck you ( to be maybe ) impoverished owners 😰

Malc 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links