Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance renewal - pleasant surprise

So changing from a RAV4 to NX450h+ Takumi, I expected an increase both from car type and substantial annual increase. 
The actual increase was £22 for the year.

No changes to terms.

4% 🙂 🙂 🙂 

So it would seem insurers (such as NFU) recognise that the NX is a safer car on the road. 🙂 

It may be due to added security with the one key switching off transmission if left alone lying on table for a few minutes (not had that confirmed)

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Is that a change to an existing policy or a new policy?

Simply change to existing policy.

Change of vehicle, no other change.

When I changed the car a few weeks ago, I got a rebate from 22/23 policy that was as much as the new annual increase!

One question that was specifically asked : had I added any extra security to the car - I got distinct impression that adding further security Increased the insurance charge!

19 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Perhaps wait for when the policy actually renews to see what sort of increase is applied. I had a similar £50ish increase on a change of car but a much bigger increase on renewal a couple of months later!

NFU allowed us to renew 31days before actual renewal date 🙂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Perhaps wait for when the policy actually renews to see what sort of increase is applied. I had a similar £50ish increase on a change of car but a much bigger increase on renewal a couple of months later!

Same here Peter..

• 2 months later...

Just had my insurance renewal come through, I am with Lexus Insurance and have been for 10 years.

Last year for my IS300h Premier £618

Renewal for my NX350h Takumi £1,115

Both with same cover, not happy about the price hike, no discount offered on the phone. Will look around, any suggestions??

• Sad 1

Give Aviva Online Premium a go. I have a NX450H, fully comp, 2 named drivers, £250 compulsory excess, no voluntary excess for £348.

Been with them for 3 years.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, imgo said:

Just had my insurance renewal come through, I am with Lexus Insurance and have been for 10 years.

Last year for my IS300h Premier £618

Renewal for my NX350h Takumi £1,115

Both with same cover, not happy about the price hike, no discount offered on the phone. Will look around, any suggestions??

May I ask how soon in advance did Lexus Insurance notify you of the cost to renew? I am with them too (cover expires in early February) and wondered when I will receive the (likely) bad news about the cost of renewing. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Ken R said:

Give Aviva Online Premium a go. I have a NX450H, fully comp, 2 named drivers, £250 compulsory excess, no voluntary excess for £348.

Been with them for 3 years.

Thanks, will try them.

1 hour ago, Andy B said:

May I ask how soon in advance did Lexus Insurance notify you of the cost to renew? I am with them too (cover expires in early February) and wondered when I will receive the (likely) bad news about the cost of renewing. Thanks.

Insurance expires 22nd of December I had an email from them 30th of November

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, imgo said:

Thanks, will try them.

Thanks Mike but didn't work for me. I have spent ages and ages getting quotes from all over but currently going through Topcashback has given me the best deal at £440. Here's the story so far - 

Currently Tesco 306 - new 640

Aviva 771, Sainsbury's 741, Confused 492 Hastings 505. 

Oh and my house insurance currently £140 via Hastings up by 41%, no claims changes etc. Tried my bank Nationwide £480 🤯Cheapest find so far £160.

Thats living in a semi-rural low risk Derbyshire village hate to think about city centres 😱

I was with Direct Line last year, £400. This year's renewal quote was for £623. Tried Flow (part of LV) but they wanted over £900. Aviva came in at £542 (is your car garaged Ken?) after adding protected NCD, legal cover, courtesy car and injury protection (basic was £412). Went back to Direct Line and ended up paying £562; still a big jump from last year but could have been worse.

1 hour ago, Bluemarlin said:

Pretty much my experience with Direct Line too. A big hike in premium, bit of shopping around, then back to Direct Line where they significantly lowered the hike.

===ditto== 👍

Seems the way to go with DL

Insurance largely depends upon the group. Cost of car, cost of repairs, availability of spares and importantly, built in active safety systems; which is why Tesla and our NX are actually in a low group compared to cost of car. After that companies will get whatever they can.

https://insurance-edge.net/2023/01/05/thatcham-research-lists-its-top-ten-ncap-rated-cars-of-2022/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

Don't state your car is in a garage, it will increase the premium over a driveway.

Interesting comment Colin.  I thought a garaged car would be less visible to would be thieves and therefore reduce the premium?

6 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Interesting comment Colin.  I thought a garaged car would be less visible to would be thieves and therefore reduce the premium?

I will give that a try next time. My Isf is in a locked garage with the other car on the driveway blocking it in. I thought that would be a much safer option? But we shall see...... I don't trust insurance companies anyway.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Something that annoys me is that I never seem to get the option of secure driveway. I have a garage but as is common these days it’s not big enough to get my car in. However, I have a driveway with six foot high gates secured with a lock far superior to any fitted to normal garages. I also have a security camera covering the driveway. 

1 hour ago, Harrier Man said:

People damage their cars getting them in/out of the garage, plus have tins of paint etc. fall on them whilst inside. You could also argue that if a thief were to break into the garage then they would have much to time to attempt to break into the vehicle undetected.

It doesn't always make much difference but I've always found driveway is the cheapest option when I've checked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

People damage their cars getting them in/out of the garage, plus have tins of paint etc. fall on them whilst inside. You could also argue that if a thief were to break into the garage then they would have much to time to attempt to break into the vehicle undetected.

It doesn't always make much difference but I've always found driveway is the cheapest option when I've checked.

Part of an article From today's daily express that makes disturbing reading;

According to LV= General Insurance, the car brand that has faced the biggest increase in thefts is Lexus, with the number of reported thefts rising by 513 percent between September 2021 and 2023.

Other brands that are typically targeted by thieves include Toyota, with thefts increasing by 103 percent, Hyundai, rising by 81 percent and Kia, which rose by 76 percent.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Other brands that are typically targeted by thieves include Toyota, with thefts increasing by 103 percent, Hyundai, rising by 81 percent and Kia, which rose by 76 percent.

I don't get it. Why would anyone want a Hyundai?

• Haha 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links